Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

4 hours ago, RichW said:

Whilst I agree it should be a big fee in that region to sign him, I would be shocked if there isn't a release clause in that contract he signed. That was signed on his terms. 

Like any negotiation it’s how much he wanted that compared to other terms negotiated.  Every negotiation has terms that parties won’t budge from and some they would.  Dougie maybe happy here and chose higher salary over a release clause for example or something else.  Not every player is looking for an option out.  Maybe he does want that but maybe he doesn’t, I wouldn’t be shocked either way tbh.

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Like any negotiation it’s how much he wanted that compared to other terms negotiated.  Every negotiation has terms that parties won’t budge from and some they would.  Dougie maybe happy here and chose higher salary over a release clause for example or something else.  Not every player is looking for an option out.  Maybe he does want that but maybe he doesn’t, I wouldn’t be shocked either way tbh.

arguably, if were not signing players that have realistic aspirations of playing at a higher level, were probably signing the wrong players.

I dont think its anything to worry about. Sign players that want to leave for clubs playing at the highest level, become good enough so that they dont have to.

45 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Alex MacAllister is a recent example that comes to mind. Signed a new contract before the world cup and towards the end of the season there was a lot of speculation with a move away and that it was going to cost clubs a lot of money. Turned out he had a cheapish release clause which made it easier for Liverpool to get it done. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Villa have already started talks over a new contract in the background and it comes out the blue like Konsa's recent deal. 

6 hours ago, RichW said:

Whilst I agree it should be a big fee in that region to sign him, I would be shocked if there isn't a release clause in that contract he signed. That was signed on his terms. 

Exactly 

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Dougie maybe happy here and chose higher salary over a release clause for example or something else.  Not every player is looking for an option out.

One thing I have noticed about this squad is that there seem to be a lot of players who have a genuine connection to the club and enjoy it here. It's no surprise that we kept all our best players this summer and signed some of them to new contracts. I'm hoping this continues so that we can finally build a strong team without it being ripped apart by the champions league clubs before it can challenge the top 4.

• Like 1

He's just outstanding. Run out of superlatives for him. There is some real stiff competition for the best central midfielder in my time following the club (Barry, Petrov, Milner, Salifou) but it's becoming harder to ignore him. Continue this consistency and stay longer and he'll be someone we look back on for decades

• Like 1

What a pass.... What a player...

And Slippy G the stupid word removed wouldn't play him.

Emery has helped Luiz go to a new level...

Our most important player and if he keeps this up he will have a place in Villa history.

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Arsenal sniffing again apparently. I hope there isn’t like a £60 mill release clause in his new contract. 

I’m not particularly worried. We had Gerrard, were 16th, not in Europe, coulda gone for nowt a matter of months later and got himself a huge contract at a title chasing club. 

And he still signed a new contract. I don’t see why he’d leave now when things are clearly so much better on all fronts.

I reckon he’ll be rewarded with a new deal in the summer and if there is to be a release value, it’ll be higher than £60m.

• Like 1

Im not concerned. Think if there was a release clause of any kind, someone in the media would be reporting on it. Clearly he is very important to Unai, we’re building around him, he loves it here and has fully bought in, just got his rewards with another NT call up, etc. He’s in the form of his life in our system where he’s guaranteed to start every week, we’re 5th looking to crack the CL positions this seasons; he has a great group of friends around him. No sweat, Arteta has always liked him since his City days; but we aint selling. It would take a ridiculous bid, one they just wont make.

Â