Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

34 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Seems like he won't be sold today. So that points to no new midfielders joining. Also means he leaves for free next summer. Basically the worst position for the club. No new CMs and losing Luiz for a free in under a year

I wish we could sign him to a new contract and put in a £20m release clause so he gets a pay bump and he can still leave next summer for a reasonable fee

On what basis is he not being sold? 

3 hours ago, useless said:

Many suddenly raving about him now he's not playing, but he will stay, and guess what? As soon as he gets a run of games it won't be long before it's being declared that he's not good enough, or that we need better if we're to get to the next level, I can confidently predict this because it happens to all our midfieders unless they look like world beaters, in fact it's already happened with Luiz in his time at the club.

Maybe, but as said earlier, it’s often different sets of fans saying he should play vs those criticising him. It’s not always fickle fans. Different voices louder at different times. The ones who don’t rate Dougie don’t talk about him at the moment.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Maybe, but as said earlier, it’s often different sets of fans saying he should play vs those criticising him. It’s not always fickle fans. Different voices louder at different times. The ones who don’t rate Dougie don’t talk about him at the moment.

I’ve noticed a theme of constantly referencing people that don’t exist

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

That’s good news. I’d rather lose him for nothing next summer but have him in the team for another year than lose him today.

But that's on the club for being poor in the market. 

In the current circumstances it would be madness to get rid of him. If we'd sold him at the start of the window and used the cash towards a really dynamic number 8 than fair enough, but right now we need all hands on deck. If it was me facing the elbow from my extremely well paid job this week, I'd have played him in a pair with Kamara in front of the back four, and then three of Buendia/Ramsey/McGinn/Coutinho/Bailey in front of them, depending on who was in the least worst form.

• Like 2

Realistically, to buy another player like Luiz, we'd be liking at £40mill in the crazy world of football these days. 

It's poor all round. One that his contract has been allowed to nearly run out and secondly that he ain't getting picked when a player like McGinn is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

But that's on the club for being poor in the market. 

True, they shouldn’t have let it get to this. If we’d signed a better replacement then we could have sold him, which is good business sense.

But from the perspective of a fan that has to watch this team, I’d much prefer it with him in it. If the other option is McGinn, Ramsay and Kamara every game. 

22 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Douglas Luiz isn't,never was and never will be a Defensive Holding Midfielder (No6) He's a No 8 and we are crying out for one

Question then Why in McGraths name does Slippy not play him?

For some reason he prefers Ramsey to run around losing the ball 

2 minutes ago, AerialThreat said:

Does your Dendocker interest suggest he may well leave after all, despite the public briefings?

That Suggests are scouting is hopeless and we are in the panic stations on last day footing 

2 minutes ago, AerialThreat said:

Does your Dendocker interest suggest he may well leave after all, despite the public briefings?

Probably not. We're light on midfield options (we're not actually, but Gerrard has bombed out at least one of our options there, and refuses to play another so we effectively have one sub for 3 positions).

He'll also provide cover at centre back, which again, we only have one sub for for two positions.

Â