Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont get this. You cant treat chuck one way and luiz another. Unless there is more to this and luiz is going to sign

Yeah you can really. Luiz has been a first team member for 3 seasons now and has an integral role with the team. Carney’s made maybe 12 ish first team appearances. 

• Like 1

i think its one of 3 options:

1) gerrard isn't sure about him and thinks that we can upgrade him, and would listen to offers. if we can't get another CM in, he'll offer luiz a new deal

2) luiz categorically wont sign a new deal so told villa not to bother offering one and is exploring moves away from the club

3) open to staying but considering his options so wants to shelve talks for now

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Does seem a strange one, perhaps they are confident he will sign and will offer as the season goes on. Perhaps Dougs reps have said won’t open negotiations until after the WC?? All very odd considering what’s happening with Carney

Sounds to me like he has been told if the right offer comes in he can leave. All very amicable.   

Still expect a new contract to be signed 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Maybe Gerrard is not feeling the need to be 100% truthful towards the media and is just offering up the usual guff while things are being handled internally by the club?

This should always be the automatic assumption tbh. Too many people take the manager's words too seriously. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I won't be complaining if he plays first game as long as he's signed up.

If he isn't I wouldn't give him any game time.

I think as things stand he plays. I can't see our owners being held to ransom by clubs who would only want him for peanuts, because he has a year left on his contract. I felt SG would prefer to have him in the first team squad for a season, than lose him for a derisory figure. With AC Milan reported to have lost interest and with SG's latest comments, it seems that may well happen. Who knows he may yet sign another contract and another club would have to offer us more than it's worth it to us, to have him available for next season to get him during this window. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think this suggests to me he is leaving on a free end of season. 

Really shite.

does it? gerrard seems pretty calm about it and he's traveled to Aus so actually suggests quite the opposite

if luiz had said categorically he wants to leave this summer and wont be signing a new deal, i'm not sure he'd have been on the plane

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont get this. You cant treat chuck one way and luiz another. Unless there is more to this and luiz is going to sign

I do disagree with that.. He came in 3 seasons ago , is an integral and important part of our squad.  And he isnt holding out for stupid money. No contract on the table for him. He isnt actively looking to leave. Just isnt actively looking to stay either. 

He is not a kid . He arguably was the main reason for us staying  up first season after lockdown.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

How can you ask the manager about the situation and not get out of him if he's been offered a contract.

Exactly. Nothing in there says there isn't a contract offer on the table or that there won't be one imminently.

Maybe Gerrard has promised that he will play as an 8 now that Kamara is here, but Luiz want proof of that in games before he signs a new contract. And that’s why both are content with the situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

1) gerrard isn't sure about him and thinks that we can upgrade him, and would listen to offers. if we can't get another CM in, he'll offer luiz a new deal

2) luiz categorically wont sign a new deal so told villa not to bother offering one and is exploring moves away from the club

I think 3 is most likely. Come January he'll get offers from the continent that tell him what he's worth (/ able to get) and if villa can match or beat it and offer him what he wants from a footballing perspective then its up to him to decide.  I think I'd be playing it exactly the same if I had no particular loyalty to the club.

It's a gamble as a career ending injury in two months time could ruin his life, but it's a gamble he's seemingly willing to take, and also one villa are willing to take in respect of losing him vs over paying him what others would offer. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

Maybe Gerrard is not feeling the need to be 100% truthful towards the media and is just offering up the usual guff while things are being handled internally by the club?

not the first time since he was in charge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Could be more complicated than that. Luiz new contract would put him ahead of McGinn and Watkins on salary. So only getting his future sorted this summer makes most sense financially as then we can look at Watkins and McGinn after season starts and wrap them up Dec/Jan

Its a strange one, it seems the club have forgotten about his contract in the weekly Carney rumours. He should have been one of the first to be given a new deal

I can see him having a very good season and getting a big contract in Europe next year. Our loss

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Seems we are happy to sell if we get a decent offer. Not offering him a new contract says it all.

I think it's see if an offer we will accept comes, if it doesn't we can see if he wants to sign a new contract, if he doesn't then he's got a free transfer next summer and we thank him for 4 good years here. 

Cost us about £6m per year for 4 years. Which is equivalent of Ings or Dignes current salary excluding their transfer fees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

How can you ask the manager about the situation and not get out of him if he's been offered a contract.

They’ve probably been told not to ask and want to keep their relationship with the club 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its a strange one, it seems the club have forgotten about his contract in the weekly Carney rumours. He should have been one of the first to be given a new deal

You can’t really believe the club have forgotten? Perhaps they’ve been told by his agent they won’t discuss yet.

Personally i think he will sign, his agent probably put the feelers out but he seems happy here. Probably a release clause if a big club come in (al a symmetrical face)

Â