Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Just now, villa4europe said:

Waiting for AL to sign a new deal and then doing a power couple announcement 

During their wedding the weekend before the start of the season as well. Big Emi as the priest, Coutinho as best man, little Emi as pageboy who drinks too many fizzy drinks at the reception and goes mental when his mother tells him time for bed.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I would rather keep Luiz than McGinn. However, having both in the squad gives us more options.

I think it would be best if Sanson is sold, we get Luiz on a new deal, and McGinn is used more as an option for the CAM roles, similar to how he plays for Scotland.

We could then sign another CM and rotate the 2 CM positions with Ramsey, Luiz and the new signing. Plus have McGinn as an option as well.

We will struggle to sell Sanson as he is on Premier League wages and I doubt any PL will want him. We could maybe loan him out to a Ligue 1 side and pay for a majority of his wages for a year.  Quite surprised if Luiz stays in all honesty.  I still don't really think the McGinn-Luiz pairing as ever really worked effectively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Do you really think the social media team are updated on contract negotiation situations? 

Luiz's contract situation is a complicated one. City hold a 20% sell on clause I believe, so I assume we are looking to get that removed from any renewal. This requires negotiation with City as well as Luiz and his Agent. It might be that signing a new contract with the 20% sell on clause isn't in our best interests and a sale this summer might be best. But then we are light at 8 and need a new signing. A new signing at 8 before Luiz extends his contract or is sold complicates matters too. 

It's a complicated situation this one. I get the feeling Luiz wants to stay with his girlfriend here and the big South American contingent. He looks settled

No but I reckon they would know more than Villa fans who most of seem convinced he is not signing a new one.

22 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I’d be surprised if he hasnt signed a new contract in the next month.  He looks happy, he’s playing football, he’s travelled with the squad, his girl is here, he has a good South American contingent he seems happy with and the rumours come and go just as quickly. I think he’s staying and signing a new contract, just my gut feel.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d be surprised if he hasnt signed a new contract in the next month.  He looks happy, he’s playing football, he’s travelled with the squad, his girl is here, he has a good South American contingent he seems happy with and the rumours come and go just as quickly. I think he’s staying and signing a new contract, just my gut feel.

Yeah I think the same. It's odd in that I feel the opposite way about him and Carney based on the passing time this summer. The more time that passes then the less likely I feel it is that Carney signs a new deal, but the more time that passes for Luiz the more likely I feel it is he does sign.

• Like 1

Not allowing myself to have hope on this one yet considering how this off season has been for me with US sports with Johnny Guadreau bailing on Calgary and the Charlotte Hornets shooting themselves in the face at the draft and having one of their star players first posting himself on social media drinking "lean" (liquid opiates) and then being thrown in jail for assaulting his wife.

• Shocked 1

Don't see the space for another CM if he signs a new deal tbh.

Would mean we have Kamara and Luiz here for next 2-3 years playing every week, McGinn I assume will get less minutes from now on but he'll still be a regular, Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho will be in contention for advanced midfield positions and then we have the youth coming through.

Luiz isn't signing a new deal here to get less minutes than last three seasons where he's tended to average 25-30 starts.

Would be a bit disappointed personally in that. Nothing against Doug but I don't think he's played that well consistently under Gerrard compared to DS and it just feels underwhelming. Kamara unavailable for a few weeks and we'll just be playing the same central midfield as last three seasons with all those pros and cons.

We need better than that to be in shake up for europa as the teams who finish above us do have better in central areas.

Always a chance that players will improve and play better of course. Wasn't exactly peak Luiz, McGinn, Sanson and so on that we saw last season. And hopefully Ramsey keeps improving too.

Still like another CM thou.

Â