Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Assuming we're getting in Bissouma or someone of his ilk, then selling him now is a no brainer. He won't be worth an extra £15m (low end sale estimate) to us by hanging around as a backup / sub option.  He isn't going to come on and win us games in that position, and Ramsey and McGinn are both ahead of him (rightly or wrongly) as preferred number 8's.

Add in the wages we'll save, and the fact we may well get more than 15m, we'd be fools to let him run down his contract. 

If we're keeping Sanson to avoid making an FFP loss, then id sell Luiz in heartbeat if he won't sign a contract.

I'd prefer that we could persuade him to sign a new contract, and use him further forward more generally given the intensity of the fixture list and allowance of 5 subs next season. 

Can't see it happening or think we'd have already done it, so I'm reluctantly in the sell camp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Surprised wasn't included in a Luiz/Olsen deal

Think Roma are trying to sell a few to raise money this summer. Think Mkhyrarian was on big money and seems he will be leaving on a free

Yeah Mkhitaryan probably to Inter soon, he was on decent wages but bit daft to let his contract run out, though that was last years mistake. That said he's not been consistently amazing or anything and been injured a bit.

Zanaiolo to Juve being touted too, but if they do that then he'll be very hard to replace for the fee they get IMO. 

I think they needed to secure the money from Olsen before trying anything else, the new owners made a lot of noise last year and landed Mourinho but they still haven't exactly showed they've got pockets deep enough for what's needed....

On 02/06/2022 at 11:15, Follyfoot said:

I wish he was as settled with his life in Brum as he is in Alisha’s bum 

Choice between Brum or this.... Hmmmm

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

really want us to flog him this summer. never warmed to the guy at all, and really don't see what he offers, even when played further forward

i also fear that he will be our back up CDM if he stays so if kamara gets injured we're back to square one

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

never warmed to the guy at all,

I'm trying to think, has he ever done an interview?

I was actually thinking about this the other day, I mean we know he is there, but never really seemed any effort at connecting him with fans.

Although, when he scores he goes mental with the fans to be fair.

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was actually thinking about this the other day, I mean we know he is there, but never really seemed any effort at connecting him with fans.

He does COD streaming lol.

• Like 1

Two years ago we were devastated by the idea of Dougie leaving. Now, as far as I can guage we are all fairly meh about it.

Wonder if that's due to Dougie plateauing somewhat or our collectively increased expectation and standards

I would sell if there is a good fee on the table. I think Luiz has looked mediocre in this team for a long time now. Italy would be perfect move for him in my opinion as the extra time on the ball would suit his style. Always thought Luiz needs a second longer than all other players to make a pass and that leads to a lot of turnovers getting caught on the ball and a lot missed passes as passing lines get closed down. Not sure that is going to change now given he has had 3 years in English game already.  

48 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Two years ago we were devastated by the idea of Dougie leaving. Now, as far as I can guage we are all fairly meh about it.

Wonder if that's due to Dougie plateauing somewhat or our collectively increased expectation and standards

Probably a bit of both. He hasn’t met his potential but we’ve also massively pushed on since promotion.   The attacking potential we had on the pitch that second half against Burnley showed me how far we have come.

51 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Bit of both, thrown in with a clear desire to not sign a new contract for me. I think the meh performances are down to him being played out of position though. He doesn't want to be a number 6. If that's where we think he's best, we're better off selling him regardless.

If Villa think he can compete with McGinn and Ramsey to be an 8 then we can start considering it a missed opportunity, but all signs point to that not being the case.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

i don't think he really speaks much english to be fair. it's been mentioned by a few players in interviews and when he came back from the olympics he needed a translator when the various players did speeches

• Like 2

18 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'd be sad to see him go, but he's probably better suited to Serie A and think he'd do quite well there. 

For sure, he'd get more time on the ball as the game is different there. More tactical while Prem is more fast and physical. Players up in your face to win turnovers and then quickly counter. 

On 06/06/2022 at 08:28, duke313 said:

Roma to sign Matic on a free from United, unlikely they will go for Doug now.

Surely it wouldn't be one or the other given Matic is 10 years older.

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's done at least one, which was translated. Think it was during his first season though.

I think we really need to re-sign Doug. 

Kamara, Ramsey, Luiz is a midfield worthy of Europe imo. Luiz I feel has been shafted often by the lack of coming short that our other midfielders displayed. We desperately need someone to be doing that with Kamara and Diego. We clearly want to be passing out of the back and Luiz is a perfect midfielder for that if he has support in that role which he will now.

He was often surrounded by 4 or 5 players with his only option to pass backwards for us these last 2 seasons. Hopefully that is no longer an issue. 

16 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think we really need to re-sign Doug. 

Kamara, Ramsey, Luiz is a midfield worthy of Europe imo. Luiz I feel has been shafted often by the lack of coming short that our other midfielders displayed. We desperately need someone to be doing that with Kamara and Diego. We clearly want to be passing out of the back and Luiz is a perfect midfielder for that if he has support in that role which he will now.

He was often surrounded by 4 or 5 players with his only option to pass backwards for us these last 2 seasons. Hopefully that is no longer an issue. 

I agree, K, R and L as the midfield 3 would be nicely balanced. McGinn can come on for the last 20/30 minutes and run 'em ragged or Sanson can come on for a more calm and possession based approach.

Â