Matt Targett

villan-scott

23 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I’d back them to survive based on their other signings regardless of signing Targett or not: he wouldn’t be the difference between survival and not.

True

I'd be less against selling him to them in the summer. We know he is limited and if we can get a stupid price out of them and he signs a nice long, expensive contract then it lumps them with a LB that also won't take them where they want to go. In that sense it could work in our favour.

If we could get something truly stupid out of them and fund Digne and Hickey for the price of Targett, then I'd be ok with it I suppose.

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Digne (better than Targett) just sold for £25m. 

Targett (worse, the guy Digne replaced) somehow = £30m???

Explain plz. 

I think that the 30m is a bit of an overestiamtion of Targett's worth, but there are a lot of factors which influence a transfer fee. Digne wanted out, Everton were looking to get rid. The fallout between him and Rafa was very much public knowledge (still laugh at them sacking Rafa a few days after selling Digne). This resulted in a greatly reduced transfer fee for Digne. He would have been a lot more expensive had the situation been similar to Targett's.

Targett as far as we know wants to stay. If he doesn't it is very much under wraps. We signed him for 14 odd million, and 3 years left on his contract, and we're not looking to get rid. He is IMO a much better player now than then. I'd hazard a guess at 22 million. Then you've got the Newcastle tax, considering they are owned by mass murderers, are having a nightmare of a transfer window, and are desperate - I'd say 40m for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

I am in disbelief at folk happy to sell last years player of the season… and to a club teetering on relegation but could financially match us next season.

Bizarrely he’s become this year’s scapegoat too

Utterly baffling

I wouldn't be happy about it but if he wanted to go and we could fund Digne and Hickey with it, I'd understand. Don't think we should sell them anybody until they've survived and the summer anyway, as you say, no point in helping them survive 

• Like 1

Hold on: we signed him for 14m plus add ons or thereabouts in 2019. Bloke has gone on to become an established premier league footballer, was players’ player of the year last year, is only 26 and, until a fortnight ago, was first choice in his position for a PL team. And they’re offering 20m in this inflated market?!! Fml. 

• Like 3

For the first time this century we actually have 2 good left backs. Why on earth would we want to sell one of them? If Digne ever gets injured or suspended, we have 2021 POTS Matt Targett ready to deputize, and possibly hold onto the shirt if he performs well. Why would we mess up this scenario?

• Like 4

If Newcastle want him we should sell for £100m and have a buy back clause inserted for £1 and then activate it immediately whilst injecting them scumbags with the genital herpes suggested by @Steero113, chlamydia and every other nasty. 

Scum. 

No way we should sell to them for any price. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Villa87 said:

He struggles with the pressure of having fans in the ground for me. 

I see this often.

You would think the Bloke never played in front of a crowd in his whole career aside from last season.

Was every game he played to get himself rated and earn moves behind closed doors? 🤔

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

It's inevitable that Newcastles stock will rise eventually, so as much as I'd hate to help them by strengthening them, if we can rip them off to the max I'm up for it. We should be asking for more then we paid for Digne, 35m+.

I actually am not sure it’s inevitable IF they go down. If they drop and struggle there’s no guarantee the Saudis will want to stick around. So for that reason I wouldn’t sell to them, even though it’s a long shot! :)

• Like 1

Â