Favourite non Villa sporting moments

Xela

Stopping up to watch Denis Taylor beat Steve Davis on the last black of the last frame in the world championships back in the 80s. I wouldn't consider snooker as a real sport per se, but there were loads of proper characters about then in that game, unlike now (in my opinion, anyway)

• Like 1

Italia 90, Euro 96 both up there. Totally agree with Ashes 2005 too. An amazing summer of cricket. I'd add the 2010-11 Ashes in Australia. Smashing them in their own back yard was special. 

For an "I was there" moment, seeing England (and Stuart Broad in particular) skittle the Aussies at Durham, on the 4th day, to win the 2013 Ashes was pretty damn special. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 3

2003 & 2007 Champions League Finals - Wins for Milan over Juve, and the revenge in Athens against Liverpool.

2008 & 2012 Super Bowls - Both wins for Giants over the Patriots, massive under-dogs in both, winning both in late dramatic fashion.

2007 Dart's Championship - Barney v Taylor. Think it was Barney's first year in PDC, and the final was brilliant.

2006 World Cup - Italy are the team I follow when England are out, and was great to see them and so many legends lift the trophy. The 2 last minute SF goals against Germany I celebrated as if it was England.

2018 World Cup - Genuinely felt proud at the end of the tournament, loved every minute of it.

2008 F1 season - Lewis winning his 1st on the last corner of the last lap of the last race. Amazing.

2010 F1 season - Brilliant season overall, I believe 5 drivers still have a genuine chance of the title on the last day?

'05 Ashes 

'09 F1 Jenson Button Winning Title

'02 World Cup

Euro 96

'01 Ivanisevic Wimbledon Win

Then lastly........ 😁

Summerslam 1992 Bret Hart vs British Bulldog

2003 Wrestlemania 19 HBK vs Y2J

2008 Wrestlemania 24 HBK vs Ric Flair

2010 Wrestlemania 26 HBK vs Undertaker

• Like 1

1994 - World Cup USA '94

1996 - Euro '96

2004 - Watching Best Mate win his 3rd Gold Cup (Owned by Villa fan, the late Jim Lewis)

15 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Then lastly........ 😁

Summerslam 1992 Bret Hart vs British Bulldog

1992 - Wrestlemania 8.. the suprise return of Ultimate Warrior!

Although he went on to have shit 2nd stint in WWF back then, when that music at WM8 hit (to come and save Hogan's ass) it certainly sent goose bumps down me at the time.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Ireland vs Italy USA ‘94 - first football tournament I remember, England hadn’t qualified but as Villa had 4 representatives in the Ireland squad they were my team to follow. That goal from Ray Houghton, God marking Baggio, the altercation over the substitution. Great fun.

Euro ‘96 - first tournament I remember with England in. We were brilliant, the slow start. The Uri Gellor moving the ball for Gary Mac to miss. Gazza. Destroying the Dutch. Stuart Pearce redemption (not that I remember the miss). The Germans. Gazza’s Lunge. Karol Poborsky lob . Davor Suker chip - just brilliant. Think that tournament really ignited my love for the sport 

England World Cup Win ‘03. Possibly the greatest team ever. Just brilliant. I remember being at uni at the time, few of my mates followed rugby so for once didn’t go out drinking to watch it. Went round someone’s house who had sky to watch the final (even he was more of a league fan). Even when it was close I always felt we’d win. Then that little break to get us a few metres closer. Johnny, the timing. Sublime.

One of the Chicago  bulls championship winning seasons in the 90s. Pippen, Rodman, Jordan and Shaq. Obviously internet wasn’t great in those days, but channel 4 ran a highlights programme. I remember watching in awe at how good they were. 

Ashes 05, has to have a mention (as other have said). Great sporting performance.

David Beckham scoring that equaliser against Greece in the last minute. My only England game, he’d been brilliant that day (funnily enough apart from his free kicks). Never seen anyone work so hard to get a result.  In the stands we wanted Sheringham to take that last minute one. But as soon as Beckham lined up, we knew he was scoring. Then that emotion when you see the net ripple. Wow. 

Wayne Rooney, arguing with the ref and then turning round and hitting that volley. Again I was there, and was just amazed by it. 

Opening game Cricket World Cup 2015, MCG, Australia vs England. Again I was there. England got tonked. Australia were awesome. Fans were brilliant, all match taking the piss out of each other. We were calling Aussies convicts, they were calling stupid poms. Showing how sport can bring people together, integration of fans.

Frank Bruno winning the world title. I was only young but even my non sporting family watched the fight (or knew of it, I can’t remember). I just remember everyone cheering on Bruno, sports mr nice guy.

Jessica Ennis winning at london 2012. So much pressure on her, and she smashed it out the park. Then Mo getting a gold as well. 

Linford Christie and Sally Gunnel golds ‘96. At the time I though of myself as a sprinter so idolised those. “And it’s, it is, it’s Linford Christie”

I forgot one, Jonah Lomu running over the England team. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a performance like it. 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Usain Bolt at the 2008 Olympics and 2009 World Championships where he was just on another level to everybody else in the field. Four individual races. Four gold medals. Four world records.  

That felt like once in a generation (possibly even once in a lifetime) levels of greatness. He transcended nationality as far as I could tell, he wasn't running for Jamaica he was running for everybody.  

Yep both great times. I think you could also add in 2015. Gatland had returned from his ban and was beating everyone, held the worlds fastest time going into the final. So much publicity and pressure on Bolt as no one wanted a drugs cheat to win a World championship. Bolt didn’t disappoint 

• Like 1

Agueeeeroooooo!  I hated Utd back then.  That hatred has moved onto Liverpool so Kompany's goal this season.

Messi dribbling through Real's team in that Champions League semi final.

Tiger in the Masters this year.

But yes the 05 Ashes still the greatest for me.  Watching KP slap Warne all over the shop was incredible.

• Like 1

ashes 05 for me too

not a big golf fan but some of the ryder cups have been up there, love the format and the team to get behind

super Saturday 2012 Olympics cant remember exactly what I was doing but I was in brum with mates pissed and can remember it being on in various bars (that were packed) and that was great, can remember the celebrations for Mo vividly, hugging strangers cheering him on 

becks vs Greece is a good one

02 world cup I was 18 that summer and was on exam leave, it was brilliant

Redgrave in 2000

England beating Germany 5-1, I was working in a chip shop at the time and had it on TV, everyone in the queue and me working just stopped to watch it

lewis beating tyson

Liverpool beating milan

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

Great suggestions so far

Mine would probably be:

World cup 94 and Euro 96 as a whole. The first major football tournaments I can remember, certainly the first I followed. Being half Irish meant USA 94 was incredible and we all know how good Euro 96 was.

England winning the rugby world cup in 2003

Bolt at 2008 Olympics. That was phenomenal.

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Usain Bolt at the 2008 Olympics and 2009 World Championships where he was just on another level to everybody else in the field. Four individual races. Four gold medals. Four world records. 

Good shout, forgot about this iconic moment.

• Like 1

Watching Man City fans get VAR’d in the pub I was in in London when they played spuds was a particular highlight.

Beating Colombia on pens and then being out in absolute CARNAGE in shoreditch after with everyone singing “football’s coming home” was amazing. 

Aguerooooooooo.

2003 rugby WC.

2005 Ashes.

Being in London during the 2012 olympics was incredible.

This is a  purely personal one, but getting to see the All Blacks live for the first time in the UK during the World Cup against Georgia and Georgia scoring the first try! Amazing. 

Â