Favourite non Villa sporting moments

Xela

The current run of Boston sports successes 2000-present has been unbelievable. 

The 1999 FA Cup semifinal replay between Man Utd and Arsenal was an astonishing spectacle. I couldn't help but admire United's whole treble season. 

Argentina-England World Cup 1998. The Owen goal, all the other drama. Great stuff on the biggest stage. 

The Mickey Ward-Arturo Gatti trilogy

Best I suppose was the 2005 Ashes, especially the final day at Old Trafford which I went to with a friend and was about a tenner each for a ticket. Incredible day out, the tension building all day while the match swung back and forward, and I still think that Ponting innings is one of the best innings I've seen. 

Seeing Chester get promoted from the Conference with a Darryn Stamp goal.

As a kid, hating Man United, Paul Rideout's goal that won the FA Cup for Everton was a special moment as well. 

Played in a 3vs3 basketball tournament with the prize being a years supply of beer earlier this year. Half a dozen or so pros showed up to play in it.

I carried our team undefeated to the semi finals to lose to the eventual winners. Great to have some tasty beer and a burger at the brewery right after a fun day of ball.

• Like 1

Today's Cricket World Cup final and the England Ashes win in 2005 - and that's coming from someone who stopped following cricket in 2006 after being a fan from way back in the early 90s (until today of course).

• Like 1

Imagine being at Wimbledon and wanting to tell people how amazing it was only to find out it wasn’t even the most dramatic final played in London on Sunday 14th July 2019. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The moment the star player for the Boston Bruins changed his number from 7 to 77 so old hand Phil Esposito could retire the no. 7. One of the great moments of sportsmanship.

• Like 1

I think I scared my mother when this happened. Red Sox down to our last strike in the American League championship series. (Winner goes to World Series). This was game 5, we won the series in 7, and I was at Fenway for the clinching win. 

The table turned on us against the Mets in the WS. We were a strike away from winning it all but blew it and lost the series.

The repercussions from both series were stark- Donnie Moore, the Angels pitcher who gave up the home run to us ended up killing himself.

On our end, Bill Buckner was  the fall guy for our loss to New York. He received death threats from Boston "fans" so he retired and moved to Idaho.

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

England-World-Cup-win-hailed-as-%25E2%25

This picture was the first I’d heard of this. 

Having looked up the match report it sounds like cricket was actually exciting for once 😜

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This picture was the first I’d heard of this. 

Having looked up the match report it sounds like cricket was actually exciting for once 😜

Yeah, but I thought proper cricket fans reckon that this one day shizzle isn't the 'real' cricket - you know the one that goes on for days and is always a draw? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but I thought proper cricket fans reckon that this one day shizzle isn't the 'real' cricket - you know the one that goes on for days and is always a draw? 

The thing with Test Cricket is it can be better than what happened yesterday. I mean it doesn't happen all the time, or even much of the time, but the absolute pinnacle occurs only in test cricket. 50 over cricket is brilliant, but Test cricket can be even better. 

• Like 2

Yep, the WC win is up there with the '05 Ashes. 

Different forms of cricket but both fantastic achievements. 

Test is still the pinnacle though. 

• Like 2

Â