Favourite non Villa sporting moments

Xela

When India beat West Indies in 1983 World Cup. Their fast bowlers, sportingly,  bowled bouncers to number 10 and 11 (player called Sandhu had to keep fending off short pitched deliveries). 

GB Men's Pursuit Team winning gold in Beijing at the velodrome. A very good mate was in that team.

Agree with a few on here, definitely the Rugby World Cup victory in 2003. That is a ‘where were you when....’ event for sure.

i’d personally chuck in Daley Thompson getting decathlon gold in LA 1984 - what an athlete! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Agree with a few on here, definitely the Rugby World Cup victory in 2003. That is a ‘where were you when....’ event for sure.

running about 45 minutes late for work :lol: that was a proper "**** em" moment

• Like 1

random moments

Euro 96 - first time I was hooked by a sporting tournament, I remember that England v Holland game in particular, I was running round the house screaming with each goal going in.  Agree on that Beckham free kick v Greece. 

jenson button winning the canadian grand prix in 2010, where there had been a rain delay and he had to pit 6 times I think, Vettel skidding under pressure on the last lap to see him through was magnificent 😂

Ashes 2005 of course, but I think also of that England team winning the test series in India, and then smashing the Aussies in Australia, that one test we skittled them out for 98 i think and then piled on the runs. Glorious stuff. 

as a tennis nut - murray's first grand slam win, after those near misses. winning the olyympics after losing to federer in the final only a few weeks before hand, winning the first wimbledon, and then the tour end final winning to be number one, alongside his brother as no 1 in the doubles. 

But also, Nadal defeating Federer at Wimbledon in 2008, Federer's first win after four years,  the Isner - Mahut marathon game, Goran's win v Pat Rafter, amongst many other great matches. 

golf - darren clarke's open win 

• Like 1

Like most on here:

Ashes 2005 & 2009

Italy 90 Euro 96

Also, a few athletics quick mentions:

Jo Pavey winning gold at the Euro champs 2014 at the age of 40

2012 Super Saturday

The 4x100 relay gold in World Champs 2017 (Bolt's farewell).

• Like 1

Eubank v Benn. 1st fight 1990 (?)

2 people who genuinely hated one another. The match was a brutal affair. After his victory a TV commentator asked Eubank how he felt. Eubank answered "I need to go to the hospital". He did. 

Euro 96 and Olympics 2012. Two events that brought the country together and gave us something to be proud of. 

NFL on Channel 4 on a Sunday night in the 80s. 

Steve Bull's career. Why isn't this a movie? Rejected by WBA he moved to Wolves for a tiny fee. His goals led Wolves from the verge of bankruptcy in the old D4 to D2. He stayed loyal despite big money offers and played for England. Tipton's version of Roy Of The Rovers.

• Like 1

Some crackers on here that I forgot about!

Correct about Bolt, it was verging on the superhuman. Genuinely likeable guy, the whole world was cheering him on. 

Super Saturday 2012 - I never really experienced this properly as I was out on a stag do in Brighton and never got to see all of it. Saw bits and pieces of various pub TVs. I can imagine it was amazing.

Mornington Crescent World Championship 1994. 

The UK player was in nidd and all the laterals were blocked. The Germans amazingly missed the open flank and played Marylebone. 

Amazing stuff. What a victory.

Villatalk really should have a Mornington Crescent thread. I am sure we have many amateur players on here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is a happy thread.

Olympics 2012 the Saturday was spine tinglingly awesome. 2005 Ashes, Italia 90 and that David Platt goal. Also a game in Mexico the one before when Lineker scored the hat-trick. Germany 5-1 in Munich. And two kind of sad happy ones. When England thrashed Croatia 5-0 in 2009 - the day my Dad died and then another cricket one. I was at the Adelaide Oval watching when Mitch Johnson blew England away and Ian Bell stood firm with 70 - Johnson at full pelt, on a high and the crowd roaring him on. Just the atmosphere and the theatre of a fast bowler terrorising (unfortunately) the opposition, England. Matched at trent Bridge when England skittled the Aussies for 60 and Broad got 8-19.

Sport's great.

• Like 1

Vålerenga winning the Norwegian league in 2005.

Vålerenga staying up via play offs in 2003, and in doing so saving the club from going bust. The game was played indoors, would you believe. The atmosphere was completely surreal. 

Yankees winning the World Series in 2009. 

Norway beating Brazil in France 1998 with a last minute penalty. 

Euro 92, Danmark winning completely out of the blue. I was 11 then and was the first football tournament that stay up till 4am to watch it live, myself being in east Asia.

Euro 96, Argh I had Southgate written on the back of my school sports shirt.... unforgettable.

2013 Wimbledon. When Andy Murray won it for the first time, I was there by luck winning the Wimbledon ballet for the men's final that year.

Lu Xiang winning gold in 2004 Olympic in tracks, proving Asian athletic could perform in the power sport.

2012 London Olympic, one of the most feel good summer I ever had. Eventhough remembering that ticketing system was horrific. I was constant refreshing on website when they announced they were releasing more tickets for various events.

I missed super saturday in the 2012 olympics live. Can't remember why as I watched everything I could during those games.

If I'd watched that live it would make the list I imagine

Oh I want to mention the England ladies netball team beating the Aussies on their own patch, to win the gold, at the last Commonwealth Games too. I watched it all, and it was amazing. I think I might have even shed a tear at the end. The look of pure elation on their faces, you could see it was something special. 

Â