Favourite non Villa sporting moments

Xela

Been fortunate to have had quite a few.

Became interested in sport when I was about 4 or 5 y.o, early 80's.

So my first sporting memories is Villa winning (honestly don't remember much but they were on the telly a lot and it stuck) and the same year (81) IFK Göteborg won the UEFA Cup and Färjestad their first Swedish championship (hockey)

These clubs have stuck with me since.

Both IFK Göteborg UEFA Cup winners 81 & 87 and 11 championship titles since 82 and Färjestad (champions 9 times) have been really successful over the years (unlike Villa) and due to them I've also come to support Calgary Flames (Stanley Cup title 89 with Håkan Loob) and Sampdoria due to Svennis and Platt.

How much things stay with you is very much down to age I've found.

For me nothing will trump the 1994 World Cup in the US where Sweden finished 3rd and won the Bronze. 

The 87 UEFA Cup title for IFK is right behind

87 was also the year Sweden won the Ice Hockey WC ahead of the Big Red Machine from the unbeatable Soviet Union in Vienna.

Honorable mentions to Ingemar Stenamark, The Swedish Tennis and Table Tennis wonder during the 80's-90's J.O Waldner, Sampdoria 90/91, Gunde Svan, the 94 Olympic Ice Hockey gold, the 4th pace at the 92 Euro's in Sweden where I got to watch loads of fantastic games live.

And of course the 2 times the team I played for won the local championship title when I was a teenager in Linköping, one of which we won the title on the final day of the season after beating the leaders 2-1 at home scoring 1 and assisting the other.

• Like 1

11th June, 1994. Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver. My cousin said "I've got tickets to a hockey match, It's kind of a big one". Game six of the Stanley Cup. Canucks 4 - Rangers 1.

That Archie Gemmill goal against Holland.

Rhona Martin - Salt Lake City, 2002.

That five minutes at VP when Scotland were battering Switzerland one-nil and were heading to the knockout stage for the first time ever. 

• Like 1

I think the last world cup was up there for me, England seemed to get some stunning weather just at the right time, the game vs Sweden on the Saturday mid afternoon in particular was an absolute belter

sun out, on the piss, winning in the football, perfect storm

it brought back a social aspect that I hadn't seen with England maybe since 2004/6

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think the last world cup was up there for me, England seemed to get some stunning weather just at the right time, the game vs Sweden on the Saturday mid afternoon in particular was an absolute belter

sun out, on the piss, winning in the football, perfect storm

it brought back a social aspect that I hadn't seen with England maybe since 2004/6

I was unemployed for the five weeks that it was on and started my new job two days after it finished. The most perfectly timed redundancy, barely missed a game!

• Like 1

On 25/06/2019 at 00:22, bickster said:

This is THE Ashes series... and I'm not apologising for the near two hour video

That'd be one of mine.

Others, 1978 World Cup.

Steve Ovett beating Seb Coe in the 800m at the 1980 Olympics (shame he ballsed up the 1500m).

Liverplop beating small heath on penalties in a League Cup final, listening to Tom Ross crying was romantically nourishing in the extreme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/06/2019 at 00:22, bickster said:

This is THE Ashes series... and I'm not apologising for the near two hour video

Wish I was around to have witnessed that summer.

Mid to late 80's for me were the golden age of (county) cricket

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Wish I was around to have witnessed that summer.

Mid to late 80's for me were the golden age of (county) cricket

Didn’t see any of it back then and not sure I’ve even seen any of it since (if any footage exists?), but Graham Hick’s 405 not out was the stuff of legend when I was heavily into cricket as youngster around that time. 

54 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Didn’t see any of it back then and not sure I’ve even seen any of it since (if any footage exists?), but Graham Hick’s 405 not out was the stuff of legend when I was heavily into cricket as youngster around that time. 

Almost as good as Brian Lara's 501 not out

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I remember hearing about in on the news that evening. It was what made me a Worcestershire fan! Add to the fact they had Botham, Radford and Dilley as well and the ground was/is a lovely quintessential English ground, made them far more appealing than Warwickshire to me. I always found Edgbaston a bit 'corporate' when I used to go there, which to be fair it is! Its a test match venue. Worcester was just a far more relaxed/friendlier place. 

It was always Hick I aspired to be when I used to play cricket as a kid, with my Duncan Fearnley 405* bat! Even though I looked more like a 13yo Mike Gatting! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

It was always Hick I aspired to be when I used to play cricket as a kid, with my Duncan Fearnley 405* bat! Even though I looked more like a 13yo Mike Gatting! 

Did a photo shoot with Hick around 20 years ago for a brochure I was designing at the time (might have been for Worcester CC?) I remember him being a very friendly chap. Alas as I'm not much of a cricket fan it was 'just another day at the office'.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

On 24/06/2019 at 18:03, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Mornington Crescent World Championship 1994. 

The UK player was in nidd and all the laterals were blocked. The Germans amazingly missed the open flank and played Marylebone. 

Amazing stuff. What a victory.

Villatalk really should have a Mornington Crescent thread. I am sure we have many amateur players on here. 

We had one, some years back. I'm up for another game. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Almost as good as Brian Lara's 501 not out

The funniest thing about that is that Warwickshire CCC had a nightmare making merchandise commemorating the event because Levi Strauss holds the trademark for "501" on clothing. 

glmIHYl.jpg

They were surprisingly popular that summer. Certainly in my little corner of Warwickshire. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Did a photo shoot with Hick around 20 years ago for a brochure I was designing at the time (might have been for Worcester CC?) I remember him being a very friendly chap. Alas as I'm not much of a cricket fan it was 'just another day at the office'.

His niceness was arguably one of the reasons he failed at test level - lack of a killer instinct. 

That, plus the huge pressure put on him when he made his debut - hailed as the saviour of english cricket! 

On 24/06/2019 at 18:03, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Mornington Crescent World Championship 1994. 

The UK player was in nidd and all the laterals were blocked. The Germans amazingly missed the open flank and played Marylebone. 

Amazing stuff. What a victory.

Villatalk really should have a Mornington Crescent thread. I am sure we have many amateur players on here. 

Should have taken the number 27, presuming that Breeching's law of bustitution is in play in the 2019 rules.  Takes about a quarter of an hour, I did it myself on Saturday. 

1JtHKHH.jpg

(But I'll play. I kinda checked out when Humph died but I'm probably the forums biggest TFL nerd and won't be able to resist...) 

• Like 1

Another event I never mentioned which I have fond memories of. 

1992 cricket world cup. 

Remember listening to a number of the games on the radio in the early hours. 

Redgrave winning his fifth   Olympic gold ... think I rowed the last 400m with him in my living room as the Italians closed in  , don’t think any sporting event has ever had me that absorbed and nervous 

which for a sport like rowing says something

Murray winning the US open would be another one ... Wimbledon is closer to home and more iconic but the mental toughness to demolish Djokovic in that 5th set after so many lost finals ,  in the US was just superb 

44 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Should have taken the number 27, presuming that Breeching's law of bustitution is in play in the 2019 rules.  

Why are you assuming Beeching's Law was in play? It was an INTERNATIONAL match.  You can't be in nidd if Beeching Law is in play. 

It's amateurs like you that make this game a farce. 

• Haha 1

Â