Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

7 hours ago, grobs said:

Today we all saw the difference between premier league quality strikers and a fraud who cost 22 million. 

Even more embarrassing is we paid his permanent fee by handing them £17m for brace face. 

Tuesday presented Dean Smith with the perfect chance to move on from the Wesley debate – a new role for Kodj (as starter) and a new role for Wes (from the bench) with both offering at least the potential for goals. I wish he had taken it. Wes fades badly – in last season’s Jupiler league he scored in just three matches after the break (not including a penalty). A total of 34 blanks in 37 second halves as starting centre-forward for the league’s top-scoring team. Not pretty reading. Unfortunately for him, those 93 kilos don’t get any lighter as games progress.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Late on I think at 3-1... Grealish by some miracle managed to squeeze the ball through about 5 players and give it to him out towards the left hand side of the box.

I don't know what happened but he either missed it, or was taken by surprise, or it bounced off his shin but suddenly he's scuffing it into a tackle with someone.

How can you not be ready to receive the ball in the box, 13 yards from goal?! ARRGGGH! FFS! He reacts a week after the ball is on it's way. He's got no basic understanding or anticipation skills. If you've even seen young American kids play football, it's a bit like that. They've got no basis of understanding of how the game works because they're young, but also because they've hardly watched it.

He's so effing bad I can't believe it. Honestly can't. You could drop ten different League 2 strikers in there that would have contributed more than him this season. They would do something, not just nothing almost every single match. Challenge for a ball, not be on the wrong side of the pitch constantly.

Absolutely this.........he is never ever in the right position and never ready to receive the ball in the box and if by some chance it ends at his feet he has not a single idea of how he might construct a shot on target

On the plus side, he does try and is happiest and most effective receiving the ball around the centre circle but......

- He has no power in his shot

- He can’t beat a man

- He is 20yards behind play when the ball is played into the box

- He has no predatory instinct

- He presents no aerial threat

- He has no quickness and takes an age to get up to speed

- He has no anticipation 

- He has no ability to construct a shooting opportunity 

I did feel that although a long way from what was required he did make a little progress during the first few games but he seems to be nosediving now

In my opinion, £ for £, the worst buy in Villa history

• Like 2

The lack of skills is the problem, skills to actually be a striker. I think his finishing is decent mind, yes it was a poor miss yesterday but he has taken his goals well here. But there's a stunning lack of anticipation, decision making, ability to make a good run and find space in the box, just none of that is there.

I'm convinced this would have been seen by any scout worth their salt whilst he was at Brugges, surely 5 games of watching him would have identified this. I am shocked we saw fit to spend £22m on a player who just does not have the basics down for his position. It's shocking piece of mismanagement. 

When the midfield plays well, it papers over Wes’s problems, to some degree. DS has already said there should be goals all over the pitch. However, when the midfield is itself in trouble, it would be effing nice for the centre forward to do centre forward things - whether that is relieving pressure from the midfield or perhaps, just perhaps, giving the opposition defence something to think about. 

Wes is entirely reliant on the support of our flagging midfield. Getting up there to support Wes is causing the holes we see all over the midfield. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Danny Ings was a great bit of business 18m compared to 22m for Wesley! probably on 60k a week compared to wesleys 20k but worth every bloody penny if his goals keep them up!!

They technically signed Ings when we were in Championship as was loan to buy and was seen as a big risk because his injuries 

19 hours ago, grobs said:

Today we all saw the difference between premier league quality strikers and a fraud who cost 22 million. 

It's even worse - when you consider Wesley had no big scoring record in a weaker league. There must be something we don't know about as to why the club shelled on £22m on him.

No word of a lie he is Jordan Bowery level - but Bowery cost £500k.

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

It's even worse - when you consider Wesley had no big scoring record in a weaker league. There must be something we don't know about as to why the club shelled on £22m on him.

Probably no greater mystery to it... they thought he had great potential and would suit the Premier League, given his physical attributes and what not... turns out he's crap. It happens. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

Still think he high price was partly because we needed it to be this high to get him a work permit.

Nothing else warrants such a high price for a player with his CV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Danny Ings was a great bit of business 18m compared to 22m for Wesley! probably on 60k a week compared to wesleys 20k but worth every bloody penny if his goals keep them up!!

You think there is a premier league first team player signed in 2019 for £22m that is on just £20k per week 😮

6 hours ago, Elton said:

As the Wesley debate continues at pace, we are the 7th highest scorers in the Premier League. Wesley is far from our biggest concern.

Depends how low you want to set your standards.  Wesley might end up with 6 or 7 goals which is not going to help us stay up

Edited by PaulC

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Depends how low you want to set your standards.  Wesley might end up with 6 or 7 goals which is not going to help us stay up

But 6 or 7 goals from Wesley shouldn't be a surprise given he only got 11 in a weaker league.

I have no idea what anyone seen in him.

Â