Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

Was surprised Rapinoe got voted best player. Seems media love her. I didn’t see every game, but ones I did every time she touched the ball, Smith would say something like  “here’s the talented Rapinoe she creates every time she touches the ball”. Then she’d do absolutely nothing with it. Most of her goals came from pens. There were better players in the American team than her.

Biggest name usually gets the MVP.

Didn't Messi get it in 2014? Even he looked embarrassed from what I remember :D 

Adidas deciding that he should have it.

The campaign against Rapinoe is honestly so lame. She gets people so mad it's bewildering. 

Here's a 2 year old video drudged up by the charming Piers Morgan and also liked by our very own Jack Grealish and Ian Taylor.

The Rapinoe hate is really childish just because she is outspoken. Can think of men doing the same and nothing is mentioned 

Male footballers for example have no opinions 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

She’s an outspoken, charismatic, good looking, feminist lesbian

exactly the kind of person a fat gammon like Morgan would feel threatened by. 

I'm surprised by a lot of younger guys feeling the same way. Disappointed seeing Jack joining in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

The Rapinoe hate is really childish just because she is outspoken. Can think of men doing the same and nothing is mentioned 

I don't see any hate.

I see alot of people disagreeing with her political views, which is fine.

I can respect her for not liking our president. But the fact that she refused to put her hand on the badge and singing along during the national anthem i find disrespectful of her.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Male footballers for example have no opinions 

The NFL players who kneeled during the national anthem are probably better to compare with. They took a lot of criticism. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't see any hate.

I can respect her for not liking our president. But the fact that she refused to put her hand on the badge and singing along during the national anthem i find disrespectful of her.

disrespectful to who?

• Like 1

The lesbian stuff doesn't bother me, the female football stuff doesn't bother me, the anti trump stuff I like, the not singing the anthem stuff I didn't even know, the video with the ball signing is short and with no real context, the social media beach swimming suit stuff god damn...(maybe the lesbian stuff does bother me)

My problem is I look at her, the way she's dressed in that ball signing video, definitely the video where she's on stage dancing and think she just looks like a bit of a dick

And that's not allowed any more, it has to be because I am offended in some way which makes me wrong  

I do wonder what I would think if she wasn't American, out of all the things she is I think that's probably the one that's most formative in my thinking 

• Like 2

She an outspoken liberal female athlete who happens to be a lesbian and has strong principled views on topics that are very troublesome in the US, like equality, racism, social issues generally, and the President. She could be the nicest and most humble person in the world, she would be despised.

However, she is also in the elite of her field and has the arrogance that comes with it. So that becomes a stick to beat her with too.

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The lesbian stuff doesn't bother me, the female football stuff doesn't bother me, the anti trump stuff I like, the not singing the anthem stuff I didn't even know, the video with the ball signing is short and with no real context, the social media beach swimming suit stuff god damn...(maybe the lesbian stuff does bother me)

My problem is I look at her, the way she's dressed in that ball signing video, definitely the video where she's on stage dancing and think she just looks like a bit of a dick

And that's not allowed any more, it has to be because I am offended in some way which makes me wrong  

I do wonder what I would think if she wasn't American, out of all the things she is I think that's probably the one that's most formative in my thinking 

That's the thing that gets me. Who cares how she dresses and dances? Weirdest thing to be offended by. Do we want everyone to be boring, polite drones? Some 19th century mentality.

20 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't see any hate.

Yeah. Can't have anyone refusing to sing the words "land of the free" can we? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's the thing that gets me. Who cares how she dresses and dances? Weirdest thing to be offended by. Do we want everyone to be boring, polite drones? Some 19th century mentality.

Like I said I'm not offended

I just think she looks like a dick

And that's apparently not allowed any more 

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said I'm not offended

I just think she looks like a dick

And that's apparently not allowed any more 

What's not allowed, looking like a dick or thinking she looks like one?

I disagree that her dancing, or dying her hair or whatever makes her look like a dick. Like I said, this is an outdated mentality.

It's kind of like how opposing fans think Jack is the same because of his hair and how he wears his socks etc. Makes no sense. It's almost like they just want an excuse to hate on him.

Edited by Keyblade

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It’s no different to people thinking that Jesse Lingard is an idiot doing all his YouTube nonsense and “beans beans beans” song.

Why does an opinion on someone looking like a dick, mean that someone is offended?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

It’s no different to people thinking that Jesse Lingard is an idiot doing all his YouTube nonsense and “beans beans beans” song.

Why does an opinion on someone looking like a dick, mean that someone is offended?

This is the thing for me too. It's fair game for people to say that Pogba/Lingard/Rashford etc. look like a dick but as soon as anybody says it about Rapinoe they're offended by her or they're a "fat gammon". 

I don't particularly like the dancing around and arrogance but to be honest I have more of an issue with the lack of acknowledgement offered to a young fan asking for an autograph. I'd have an issue with that if it was any famous sports person or other celebrity and would certainly call them out for it. 

The fact that a lot of her other actions (the dancing around etc) give off the impression of being a bit full of herself doesn't do her any favours when she's filmed ignoring fans.

I have a lot of respect for what she's achieved and for a lot of the principles she stands for but that's not going to stop me from calling out behaviour which to me at least is dickish.

I'd extend this to a number of other players in that US women's national team to be fair. The "tea-drinking" celebration, the interruption of the opposition's post match interviews etc. whilst not being particularly offensive just give off an impression of arrogance and to me are pretty classless. Again I'd call out any team acting like this in victory.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 2

Â