Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

It’s no different to people thinking that Jesse Lingard is an idiot doing all his YouTube nonsense and “beans beans beans” song.

Why does an opinion on someone looking like a dick, mean that someone is offended?

I misread him, I thought he said he was offended.

That's not the point though, why does Jesse Lingaard doing a dance make him an idiot? It's a dance ffs. This is some serious old man yells at cloud shit.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I misread him, I thought he said he was offended.

That's not the point though, why does Jesse Lingaard doing a dance make him an idiot? It's a dance ffs. This is some serious old man yells at cloud shit.

Who and what, in your opinion, are we allowed to have an opinion on?

You brought up a 'charming Piers Morgan' tweet on the previous page. Why do you care what Piers Morgan says, and why are you (presumably) sarcastically referring to him as 'charming'?

We can go round like this all day. The fact of the matter is that people are allowed to have opinions on others, and the more out there things (whether that be a daft dance, a daft song or actual things that people should be offended by, like hints of racism, sexism, and other isms) are what people will want to bring up and discuss/ criticise/ defend.

The people who are overreacting about little things that Rapinoe does may just be narrow-minded people that dislike a famous lesbian (I presume she's lesbian, I've seen lots of people say that) footballer because she's just that. Or, they could also be people who dislike other things she does (shows of arrogance etc) and have formed an opinion on her based on more than an 8-second clip.

People are allowed to have whatever opinion they want about Rapinoe. Personally, I think it's quite telling that there are more people giving her shit for not making eye contact with someone getting an autograph than there were giving CR7 shit for allegedly raping someone in Las Vegas, but there we are. 

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Who and what, in your opinion, are we allowed to have an opinion on?

You brought up a 'charming Piers Morgan' tweet on the previous page. Why do you care what Piers Morgan says, and why are you (presumably) sarcastically referring to him as 'charming'?

We can go round like this all day. The fact of the matter is that people are allowed to have opinions on others, and the more out there things (whether that be a daft dance, a daft song or actual things that people should be offended by, like hints of racism, sexism, and other isms) are what people will want to bring up and discuss/ criticise/ defend.

The people who are overreacting about little things that Rapinoe does may just be narrow-minded people that dislike a famous lesbian (I presume she's lesbian, I've seen lots of people say that) footballer because she's just that. Or, they could also be people who dislike other things she does (shows of arrogance etc) and have formed an opinion on her based on more than an 8-second clip.

I'm not saying opinions aren't allowed, everyone is free to have one. It's just my opinion that those opinions are stupid is all. Like if you think having a dance after winning the **** World Cup or scoring a goal or just messing around with your mates in the dressing room makes you an idiot, then sorry that's just a stupid opinion.

I personally don't care what that buffoon Morgan thinks, I just brought up that particular tweet because it was emblematic of the issue I was describing and also because it showed up on my feed because it was liked by Jack Grealish and Ian Taylor which shows that it isn't just an opinion held by career fools.

And from the bolded it looks like you pretty much agree with me on what the issue is, so not sure what the problem is?

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People are allowed to have whatever opinion they want about Rapinoe. Personally, I think it's quite telling that there are more people giving her shit for not making eye contact with someone getting an autograph than there were giving CR7 shit for allegedly raping someone in Las Vegas, but there we are. 

Well sure, if Ronaldo has raped someone in Las Vegas then I'm sure he'll get the condemnation and sentence which he would deserve. Given that he's not been found guilty yet of this offence I'm not comfortable with passing any kind of judgement on that situation and given the experiences of other sports stars I'd rather reserve my opinion on the matter until more is known. Basing opinions of people on allegations is a dangerous road to start on in my opinion.

I completely agree that in the grand scheme of things, ignoring a fan who's after an autograph is a non-issue but that doesn't mean I don't see it as rude and arrogant behaviour. 

I think a more reasonable Ronaldo comparison to make with this situation is his top off exuberant celebration after scoring a penalty in the Champions League final with the game already won before this. He took a bit of stick for this as again its a sign of an egotistical character.

49 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Well sure, if Ronaldo has raped someone in Las Vegas then I'm sure he'll get the condemnation and sentence which he would deserve. Given that he's not been found guilty yet of this offence I'm not comfortable with passing any kind of judgement on that situation and given the experiences of other sports stars I'd rather reserve my opinion on the matter until more is known. Basing opinions of people on allegations is a dangerous road to start on in my opinion.

I don't want to drag this too far off topic, but the reason Ronaldo will never be found guilty is that he settled out of court, which is of course great if you want people in the future to say they won't believe you did it because you weren't proven guilty. 

However, my point is less about Ronaldos guilt, and more that male footballers are forgiven for massive indiscretions, while female footballers are shat on for trivial nonsense. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

male footballers are forgiven for massive indiscretions, while female footballers are shat on for trivial nonsense. 

That's simply not true.

Many male footballers are figures of hate, and some of them even for no reason. Remember Lampard getting regularly booed at Wembley? What for? The crime of being the "star" of the team that wasn't performing to expectation? He used to get ripped apart on social media. 

Ronaldo is another level. He can't donate to charity, celebrate a goal or star in adverts without being criticised.

• Like 4

People generally don’t like egoistic arrogant Representatives for Wellingborough. Don’t really see what her being a women has to do with it but of course it brings the sexist brigade out in full force.

7 hours ago, penguin said:

People generally don’t like egoistic arrogant Representatives for Wellingborough. Don’t really see what her being a women has to do with it but of course it brings the sexist brigade out in full force.

Don't really see how you can deduce she's an egoistic, arrogant person from a... goal celebration and a *checks notes* dance?

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Don't really see how you can deduce she's an egoistic, arrogant person from a... goal celebration and a *checks notes* dance?

that's where her nationality doesn't help her ;) 

its more than just those 2 instances (and I agree that celebration makes for a great photo)

On 15/07/2019 at 17:03, LakotaDakota said:

Grumpy miserable arse or not this is still a great photo

RH0ofvO.jpg

Doing the Zlatan celebration 

People find him humble and what not so a woman who does the same thing is seen in the same way :D 

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

How about shouting "I deserve this!" with the trophy while on the parade? Or the way she didn't even look at that kid when signing his autograph? Think your notes could do with some work.

Just now, penguin said:

How about shouting "I deserve this!" with the trophy while on the parade? Or the way she didn't even look at that kid when signing his autograph? Think your notes could do with some work.

Yeah man, some 3 second clip with no context really gave us an insight on her character.

Shouting "I deserve this" :lol: wow what an arrogant piece of work. You can't be serious.

Just now, Keyblade said:

Yeah man, some 3 second clip with no context really gave us an insight on her character.

Shouting "I deserve this" :lol: wow what an arrogant piece of work. You can't be serious.

Why can't I? 

It's pretty clear to me she is as arrogant as them come but if you have a different opinion I don't really care enough to try and change it. 

Just now, penguin said:

Why can't I? 

It's pretty clear to me she is as arrogant as them come but if you have a different opinion I don't really care enough to try and change it. 

There's no way to know what someone's personality is like from a couple of snippets. Whether or not those isolated actions can be considered arrogant is debatable and up to interpretation I guess, but not sure how you can then make the leap to say she's a "egoistic arrogant Representatives for Wellingborough" based on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a good idea long term, but short term it will just add more way to poor teams to the competition.

It's already suffering from team that are no where near good enough to compete.

Fifa wants 32 teams in the 2023 World Cup

The Women's World Cup has two consecutive championships (2015 and 2019) consisting of 24 teams.

According to the news agency AP, Fifa now wants to increase the number of teams to the championship in 2023.

According to a document that AP took note of, Fifa should on Friday have asked board members to accept an increase from 24 to 32 teams on bounce to the next championship.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/3JoXeA/uppgifter-fifa-vill-ha-32-lag-i-vm-2023

2 hours ago, sne said:

Might be a good idea long term, but short term it will just add more way to poor teams to the competition.

It's already suffering from team that are no where near good enough to compete.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/3JoXeA/uppgifter-fifa-vill-ha-32-lag-i-vm-2023

Horrible idea.

USA's 9-0 win over Thailand is a good reason to why this is an awful idea.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Horrible idea.

USA's 9-0 win over Thailand is a good reason to why this is an awful idea.

Was a 7-1 Men's World Cup semi final  5 years ago. Was probably more embarrassing

Â