Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

Don't forget that they started to play football appr 100 years after men did, so they should be behind. 

In the 1920s Women's football matches in England pulled bigger crowds than most men's games - sometimes more than 50,000. 

BBC article

No VAR yesterday for some reason, possible pen for Sweden and a lot of calls going Hollands way in a rather even game.

Sweden ran out of steam so Holland ended up deserved winners for me.

Funny stat, halfway into the 2nd half the ref had awarded Holland 15 free kicks, and Sweden 1. Ended up 24 vs 14

Ref did not have a good game but wasn't the reason Sweden lost.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

No VAR yesterday for some reason, possible pen for Sweden and a lot of calls going Hollands way in a rather even game.

Sweden ran out of steam so Holland ended up deserved winners for me.

Funny stat, halfway into the 2nd half the ref had awarded Holland 15 free kicks, and Sweden 1. Ended up 24 vs 14

Ref did not have a good game but wasn't the reason Sweden lost.

not sure how true that is, Netherlands had 2 offsides against them in the 1st half

The no VAR on the penalty thing was a tough one. It should have gone to VAR in my opinion, but it just seemed like a clash of legs if anything. Didn't seem like any of the Swedes complained.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not sure how true that is, Netherlands had 2 offsides against them in the 1st half

They showed the stat on TV official by FIFA stat.

As in fouls given, not offsides or ball over the side or whatever.

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Why are men being compared to women again, I thought we got past that shit. Nobody is saying Serena Williams could beat Roger Federer or the England women's rugby team would beat the local country club team

They are different levels completely and only seems to be men who make this comparison 

I think the reason they get compared is because there is a "push" for promoting women's sport. BBC are certainly making a big deal out of it, and I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing.

However, I think that contrary to the popular politically correct opinion, most people are not sexist and do not care if its men or woman doing a specific sport or a job. I couldn't care less if women participate in football. To me, if we can field 11 women in our Aston Villa side next season that will challenge the league, I am all for it. The doors are wide open for everyone these days, especially in our country.

The issue for me is that it's promoted "artificially". As a sports fan, I want to watch the best athletes on the planet, and I don't care if they are men or women. I want to see the limit of what is humanly possible, and in football men are faster, stronger and more technically trained. For that reason, people will naturally prefer men's sport in general. We want to watch 100m sprints in under 10 seconds and heavyweight boxing between 2 giants weighing 220lb each. Unfortunately, women's sport does not offer that.

I have read a poster previously suggesting that the woman's world cup is the limit of their ability and they are top athletes. And that's absolutely fine, no argument there. For me however, and for many other sports fans, if we see that a non league men's football side presents a higher performance level than a women's national side, we will prefer to watch the former.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think the reason they get compared is because there is a "push" for promoting women's sport. BBC are certainly making a big deal out of it, and I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing.

However, I think that contrary to the popular politically correct opinion, most people are not sexist and do not care if its men or woman doing a specific sport or a job. I couldn't care less if women participate in football. To me, if we can field 11 women in our Aston Villa side next season that will challenge the league, I am all for it. The doors are wide open for everyone these days, especially in our country.

The issue for me is that it's promoted "artificially". As a sports fan, I want to watch the best athletes on the planet, and I don't care if they are men or women. I want to see the limit of what is humanly possible, and in football men are faster, stronger and more technically trained. For that reason, people will naturally prefer men's sport in general. We want to watch 100m sprints in under 10 seconds and heavyweight boxing between 2 giants weighing 220lb each. Unfortunately, women's sport does not offer that.

I have read a poster previously suggesting that the woman's world cup is the limit of their ability and they are top athletes. And that's absolutely fine, no argument there. For me however, and for many other sports fans, if we see that a non league men's football side presents a higher performance level than a women's national side, we will prefer to watch the former.

Spot on.

Ultimately, it's down to the quality. Women are people, so judging one competition to have a perceived lack of quality isn't sexist. It's like suggesting it's racist/xenophobic to suggest the quality of the Gold Cup/African Cup of Nations is bad in comparison to the Euros/Copa.

The difference being, the Gold Cup/African Cup of Nations doesn't get the same push, why? The over fawning of the competition has come across as a bit condescending towards women if anything/

At least women football has come further than it seem to have done in handball from the look of it.

This is the uniforms the men respectively the women have to wear at the beach handball European Championships.

The women have to by rule play in bikinis 

640@60.jpg458@60.jpg432@60.jpg

18 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Spot on.

Ultimately, it's down to the quality. Women are people, so judging one competition to have a perceived lack of quality isn't sexist. It's like suggesting it's racist/xenophobic to suggest the quality of the Gold Cup/African Cup of Nations is bad in comparison to the Euros/Copa.

The difference being, the Gold Cup/African Cup of Nations doesn't get the same push, why? The over fawning of the competition has come across as a bit condescending towards women if anything/

Surely womens football is getting a push on BBC is because England were one of the favourites. If they didn't qualify they probably wouldnt care

Busy day for the top brass in football on Sunday.

The Final in the Women WC between US and Holland at 17

Final of the Copa America, Brazil vs Peru at 22

2 last 16 games in the AFCON, Madagascar vs Congo at 18 and Algeria vs Guinea at 21.

And to round it up there is the Concacaf Gold Cup final between the US and Mexico at 03 in Chicago

14 hours ago, sne said:

At least women football has come further than it seem to have done in handball from the look of it.

This is the uniforms the men respectively the women have to wear at the beach handball European Championships.

The women have to by rule play in bikinis 

640@60.jpg458@60.jpg432@60.jpg

Are there any TV channels showing the women’s beach handball? Asking for a friend 👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New rule, if it touches your hand resulting in a goal it's automatically handball, intentional or not

Edit - that's bollocks, thats only if it's your arm / hand that puts the ball in the net

That's not handball

Edited by villa4europe

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

New rule, if it touches your hand resulting in a goal it's automatically handball, intentional or not

Edit - that's bollocks, thats only if it's your arm / hand that puts the ball in the net

That's not handball

saw something like that, or if it leads to a goal.

If it is technically a correct call under the intent of the new rules, then the new rules need to **** off. I can’t get along with something not being a foul under the rules unless it leads to a goal - it either is or isn’t.

Hard to even see where it hits the arm here. Does it also hit the defenders arm? 

people want consistency with the handball rule, if thats rule going forward then tough but fair. If Swedish defender made same movement their be uproar that its not a penalty

Â