Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But don't the commentators and pundits adjust their reference to suit the level they're commentating on? 

It would be ridiculous if they were applying the expectations of the men's game to the women's game. 

When commentators commentate on women's athletics they don't mention how crap the times are compared to the men's times. Similarly if you watch a League 2 football match they don't go on about how terrible the football is because they're used to commentating on the premier league. They adjust their reference points.

The whole intermingling of stats does indicate that they are seeing this as the same as the mens though,someone now has more caps that Peter Shilton... Someone scored more goals than Harry Kane in the world cup finals (well for a minute or two anyway)... Would have been the first time england had been to a final since '66. Hell i'm not even English, and it annoys me(not as much as that stupid band but still annoying)

Athletics is different isn't it, Everyone knows that genetically, women are slower/can't throw/jump as far as men. They are still doing the same thing to the same standard though but the phyisical differences will always mean slower times etc, There isn't anything you can do about that. A mens race will be the same standard as a womens race but the time will be better. They are not making incredibly basic errors or showing a complete lack of skill/awareness/ability. Same with tennis etc, They aren't suddenly making errors every other shot just because they are women.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think League 2/National League wages are likely similar to the women in the women's Premier League - the women's Premier League players also have access to better training facilities too, I imagine.

Football is also a sport. An individual player may have a better brain than someone else, but it's still a sport. A such, physical attributes are necessary in a team - this is where genetics give men an advantage.

It might be that now, but it's been so for a very short time. But I think it wasn't untill 2012 that english women teams were allowed to play on the men's stadiums. And as such they're a few years behind, to say the least. The english team has developed enormously in the last few years or so, as an example. When FA started to invest in their football.

Yes, if they were to play against each other I think men will always win. We're stronger and quicker and all that. I have no doubt about that. But they won't have to play against each other. When it comes to entertaining, depending on what you like with football, I think women's football can be quite as entertaining. I've enjoyed this world cup more than the last few men's world cups I've watched. Not because the football has been better, it hasn't, but it's felt more honest and even More exciting in a way. But of course it's not better. Just not that bad..

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

The whole intermingling of stats does indicate that they are seeing this as the same as the mens though,someone now has more caps that Peter Shilton... Someone scored more goals than Harry Kane in the world cup finals (well for a minute or two anyway)... Would have been the first time england had been to a final since '66. Hell i'm not even English, and it annoys me(not as much as that stupid band but still annoying)

Yeah I agree about that. I don't like the intertwining of stats. It devalues the men's game stats imo.

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Athletics is different isn't it, Everyone knows that genetically, women are slower/can't throw/jump as far as men. They are still doing the same thing to the same standard though but the phyisical differences will always mean slower times etc, There isn't anything you can do about that. A mens race will be the same standard as a womens race but the time will be better. They are not making incredibly basic errors or showing a complete lack of skill/awareness/ability. Same with tennis etc, They aren't suddenly making errors every other shot just because they are women.

But those genetic differences are a huge factor in why the standard in the men's game is higher.

The rest of the difference is more down to the women's game being less developed than the men's. 

Men's football will always be a higher standard than women's. If you spend the whole time comparing the two then you'll always be disappointed.

Like it or not these women ARE world class athletes. They are amongst the best women in the world at their sport.

Just now, Pelle said:

It might be that now, but it's been so for a very short time. But I think it wasn't untill 2012 that english women teams were allowed to play on the men's stadiums. And as such they're a few years behind, to say the least. The english team has developed enormously in the last few years or so, as an example. When FA started to invest in their football.

Yes, if they were to play against each other I think men will always win. We're stronger and quicker and all that. I have no doubt about that. But they won't have to play against each other. When it comes to entertaining, depending on what you like with football, I think women's football can be quite as entertaining. I've enjoyed this world cup more than the last few men's world cups I've watched. Not because the football has been better, it hasn't, but it's felt more honest and even More exciting in a way. But of course it's not better. Just not that bad..

The France v USA game was one of the worst games for cheating I've seen in a while, there's generally been a lot of going down over nothing to. The idea that the women's game is more "honest" or anything is a myth.

I don't really understand why the football is of such a poor standard though? Like you say, they're not having to compete against men, yet despite being paid at a League 2 level - why is the actual quality of football so far from that standard?

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why are men being compared to women again, I thought we got past that shit. Nobody is saying Serena Williams could beat Roger Federer or the England women's rugby team would beat the local country club team

They are different levels completely and only seems to be men who make this comparison 

I guess I restarted it. Sorry. 😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't really understand why the football is of such a poor standard though? Like you say, they're not having to compete against men, yet despite being paid at a League 2 level - why is the actual quality of football so far from that standard?

Maybe just don't watch it if you don't enjoy it?

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'm not entirely sure that there's a link between the pay received by male footballers at League 2 level and the quality of football played by anyone else on a similar wage... but I could be wrong!

I think the England ladies team are performing far closer to the men's side than people are probably giving them credit for. 

Close but no cigar?

Penalty misses?

Harsh red card?

It's pretty much a carbon copy!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Right then, Sweden now. I can't see how they can fail given that they genetically engineered the perfect footballer and then cloned her eleven times. It's a genius strategy.

isn't that just 90% of Swedish women in general, Someone just keeps hitting reprint but occasionally the paper jams..

Edited by LakotaDakota

11 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

This is not the best game of the tournament so far

It certainly isn't. Sweden solid in the defence, but that's about it. Hope for a better second half.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Why are men being compared to women again, I thought we got past that shit. Nobody is saying Serena Williams could beat Roger Federer or the England women's rugby team would beat the local country club team

They are different levels completely and only seems to be men who make this comparison 

People have to keep bringing it up because they keep pointing out getting less payed than men despite there being a much lower interest and income in the women's game.

That's why people keeps comparing it to men, because women keep demanding getting equal pay.

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People have to keep bringing it up because they keep pointing out getting less payed than men despite there being a much lower interest and income in the women's game.

That's why people keeps comparing it to men, because women keep demanding getting equal pay.

I havent seen one female player demanding Premier League salaries. They want similar recognition and respect its a big difference

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I havent seen one female player demanding Premier League salaries. They want similar recognition and respect its a big difference

I think they get respect. Apart from the odd internet troll maybe.

Equal recognition wont happen as the mens game got way more interest.

Â