Women's World Cup 2019

KMitch

Probably the most annoying thing about the whole tournament is the whole. Gold, Silver & Bronze medal thing. It's football not athletics. The team that wins the tournament are the champions, nobody else matters. There is no great pride in getting beat in a final, You are not silver medalists, You are runners-up/losers. Winning a pointless 3rd/4th place play off doesn't make you bronze medalists, It just means you won a game nobody even wants to play.

Even Phil is at it :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48896767

Neville received some criticism for calling the match a "nonsense", with Manchester United keeper Siobhan Chamberlain - a member of the Lionesses squad which finished third in Canada four years ago - saying: "Try telling the 23 players who went to Canada that a bronze-medal match is a 'nonsense' game.

"Winning a medal at a World Cup is a great achievement and I guarantee you every player out there wanted a medal just as much."

After being pressed on his description of the game, Neville added: "We came to this tournament to win gold. Throughout my life, winning is all that matters - not finishing second, third or fourth. My players feel exactly the same way as me on this matter.

In 2015 we won bronze with a performance that was great and we celebrated and applauded.

"It's now 2019 and we wanted gold. Since losing that semi-final we've been hurting because it was a vision that we had and accepting second best is something we aren't going to do.

Just piss right off with that crap.

Edited by LakotaDakota

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has been a World Cup tradition since the start. Strange thing to complain about

I know they physically get a medal but find one piece of commentary or media report other than the past couple of womens tournaments & last years mens where anyone ever has been referred to as a silver/bronze medallist, Hell even a gold medallist.

Almost as annoying as when the entire media seemed to start referring to West Hams ground as the Boleyn Ground for it's final year or two after calling it upton park for decades

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Probably the most annoying thing about the whole tournament is the whole. Gold, Silver & Bronze medal thing. It's football not athletics. The team that wins the tournament are the champions, nobody else matters. There is no great pride in getting beat in a final, You are not silver medalists, You are runners-up/losers. Winning a pointless 3rd/4th place play off doesn't make you bronze medalists, It just means you won a game nobody even wants to play.

Even Phil is at it :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48896767

Neville received some criticism for calling the match a "nonsense", with Manchester United keeper Siobhan Chamberlain - a member of the Lionesses squad which finished third in Canada four years ago - saying: "Try telling the 23 players who went to Canada that a bronze-medal match is a 'nonsense' game.

"Winning a medal at a World Cup is a great achievement and I guarantee you every player out there wanted a medal just as much."

After being pressed on his description of the game, Neville added: "We came to this tournament to win gold. Throughout my life, winning is all that matters - not finishing second, third or fourth. My players feel exactly the same way as me on this matter.

In 2015 we won bronze with a performance that was great and we celebrated and applauded.

"It's now 2019 and we wanted gold. Since losing that semi-final we've been hurting because it was a vision that we had and accepting second best is something we aren't going to do.

Just piss right off with that crap.

I think that the game does have a point - it's to establish the 3rd best team of the tournament.

However, I don't think any success driven sportsman or woman should be celebrating it. It's a bit like a medal for participation. Everyone is a winner type of thinking. 

No. There is only one winner. Sure, tell your grandkids that you came 3rd in the world cup and say it with pride. But it's nothing to shout about.

Not really care is Sweden finish 3rd 4th or 12th, but still a bit smug since the England team came our ahead of the game and called Sweden and Holland the 2 worst teams they've seen in the tournament.

Way to give your opponents motivation :D 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The tea thing is just some banter.

What is the big deal? Get over it

There is no deal...let alone a big deal, no one cares

The story is people being pissed off, they're not 

Its one of these strange social media non event things

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The tea thing is just some banter.

What is the big deal? Get over it

There isn't a big deal it's just the snowflake twitter generation we have now,  I didn't see it but if i did i would have laughed.

Edited by Stuartc445

2 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

There isn't a big deal it's just the snowflake twitter generation we have now,  I didn't see it but if i did i would have laughed.

It's not even that

Like I said it's one of these weird social media things where it's trending because of the number of people talking about criticising the people that are complaining about it

But you can't find anyone actually criticising it...No doubt professional limelighters piers Morgan and Katie Hopkins waded in on it but there's no traffic from people offended, just lots from people talking about people being offended 

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Happy Rapinoe scored, lot of men on social media have a thing agInst her for having an opinion on stuff

Pretty embarrassing

Having any sort of political opinion in the USA right now is sort of taboo.  Hate or support Trump, and you're going to get harassed by the other side.  If you're a celebrity, you're probably going to get some sort of death threat for stating your opinion now.  

On 06/07/2019 at 17:52, a m ole said:

saw something like that, or if it leads to a goal.

If it is technically a correct call under the intent of the new rules, then the new rules need to **** off. I can’t get along with something not being a foul under the rules unless it leads to a goal - it either is or isn’t.

Hard to even see where it hits the arm here. Does it also hit the defenders arm? 

All I noticed was White touching her boobie.😁

Edited by foreveryoung

Â