Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I feel like it's very difficult to take part in this discussion, because people in Birmingham/UK are in the middle of this all with your life and experiemces, whereas us from abroad may be in a whole different situation. So, how to write how I feel from my situation and taking into account the still difficult situation in the UK, feels challenging. Np-one wants to hurt anyone's feeling at a time like this, but it seems it's inevitable.

• Like 1

I just see this new 10 game season as a complete unkown entity in which some teams have a points advantage and others have been handicapped. As for any form, predictions, home advantages or whatever else they are now non-existant. It will come down to who wants it most and gets the breaks. The only thing which worries me is that our "par" is for key decisions to usually go against us especially against the top 10 teams... and thats with a passionate home crowd baying at the officials, so what on Earth is going to happen withpout that partizan crowd fills me with dread. 

You never know though as this is an unprecidented situation with so many oddball influences impacting everything

No crowd,

Players now approaching big moves

Fitness levels

Players back fit who were injured previously

The impact on officials

Players whole mindset about playing with the risks

etc etc etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The number of deaths per day in the UK compared to the rest of Europe is really quite scary. That's what happens when a moron gets voted in to run a country.

Cummings? I see Johnson as just a puppet

51 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I just see this new 10 game season as a complete unkown entity in which some teams have a points advantage and others have been handicapped. As for any form, predictions, home advantages or whatever else they are now non-existant. It will come down to who wants it most and gets the breaks. The only thing which worries me is that our "par" is for key decisions to usually go against us especially against the top 10 teams... and thats with a passionate home crowd baying at the officials, so what on Earth is going to happen withpout that partizan crowd fills me with dread. 

You never know though as this is an unprecidented situation with so many oddball influences impacting everything

No crowd,

Fitness levels

The impact on officials

etc etc etc

Exactly we have no comparative.  It's so far away from the normal Premier League it's unbelievable which defeats the purpose of the continuation season anyway but never mind that, that topic has been done to death.  We have no idea how to judge what is to unfold because of so many elements have changed to normal. 

Form from the premier league before lockdown is out of the window.  The only consistent thing is the talent within each of the players and the understanding they had then with their team mates but even that will take time to be 100% because of match fitness and just so much downtime has gone by. 

You have noted many elements above and there are many more, so why I think this is a disgrace to restart I'm intrigued to see what happens even outside of the Villa, although as a viewing spectacle it will be woeful compared to normal PL games if the German restart is anything to go by.

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I feel like it's very difficult to take part in this discussion, because people in Birmingham/UK are in the middle of this all with your life and experiemces, whereas us from abroad may be in a whole different situation. So, how to write how I feel from my situation and taking into account the still difficult situation in the UK, feels challenging. Np-one wants to hurt anyone's feeling at a time like this, but it seems it's inevitable.

Had to go and do a quick food shop this morning and again while 2m distancing outside queuing to get into shop, once in the shop it's like sardines in a tin.  The difference between Sainsbury's last weekend and LIDL today is incredible in terms of distancing.  People not keeping distancing, only me and one other wearing a masks in terms of shoppers today (most shop workers were wearing) and people just reacting like normal....but we arent.....I hope a second spike doesnt happen but I wouldnt be surprised.  Mad given how are we still are compared to our neighbours in Europe.  I think below was posted yesterday or day before.

deaths.JPG

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Had to go and do a quick food shop this morning and again while 2m distancing outside queuing to get into shop, once in the shop it's like sardines in a tin.  The difference between Sainsbury's last weekend and LIDL today is incredible in terms of distancing.  People not keeping distancing, only me and one other wearing a masks in terms of shoppers today (most shop workers were wearing) and people just reacting like normal....but we arent.....I hope a second spike doesnt happen but I wouldnt be surprised.  Mad given how are we still are compared to our neighbours in Europe.  I think below was posted yesterday or day before.

deaths.JPG

It’s the new daily cases that scare me , with what you are saying and what happened by me yesterday I can only see the daily new cases going one way. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

It’s the new daily cases that scare me , with what you are saying and what happened by me yesterday I can only see the daily new cases going one way. 

Yeah the deaths are sad and obviously terrible but those are people who likely got infected 3-4 weeks ago.

It's the increase in new cases that is really terrifying and at least here in Sweden it's only going to get worse because people have fallen into summer mood no one seem to care anymore.

• Like 1

Big signings are starting, Mauro Icardi moves to PSG from Inter.  Buy out clause of £63m, but he's gone for £45m plus £6m add ons which is not surprising seeing as Inter chiefs said he had no future at Inter.   Still a big fee though and start the ball rolling for big summer transfers across Europe, almost as if COVID hadnt happened.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I agree, yes the daily new cases and how they might grow in the next couple of weeks and then deaths follow weeks afterwards.  The sun is out, people are out, people are fatigued with lockdown.........I hope I'm wrong but it does worry me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Big signings are starting, Mauro Icardi moves to PSG from Inter.  Buy out clause of £63m, but he's gone for £45m plus £6m add ons which is not surprising seeing as Inter chiefs said he had no future at Inter.   Still a big fee though and start the ball rolling for big summer transfers across Europe, almost as if COVID hadnt happened.

Tbf PSG work outside of football finances. They can spend how much they want regardless of a financial meltdown as they are state backed by Qatar.

Just now, sne said:

Tbf PSG work outside of football finances. They can spend how much they want regardless of a financial meltdown as they are state backed by Qatar.

Yeah but you can argue that about all the big clubs across Europe with their financing in one way or another.  People who suggested big transfer fees were unlikely after the money troubles of COVID I think were fooling themselves.  Big clubs will still spend big this summer.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but you can argue that about all the big clubs across Europe with their financing in one way or another.  People who suggested big transfer fees were unlikely after the money troubles of COVID I think were fooling themselves.  Big clubs will still spend big this summer.

We'll see, I think a lot of player will be moving for a lot less than they would have on a regular year.

Will still be huge sums of course, no one is arguing against that. But there will be more player + cash deals, and stuff like that.

Icardi was a predetermined fee (that PSG still tried to haggle down) otherwise he'd have cost twice as much.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

We'll see, I think a lot of player will be moving for a lot less than they would have on a regular year.

Will still be huge sums of course, no one is arguing against that. But there will be more player + cash deals, and stuff like that.

Icardi was a predetermined fee (that PSG still tried to haggle down) otherwise he'd have cost twice as much.

I dont agree with the first point because why would clubs sell for less unless they had to or wanted to get somebody off their books

I agree with the second point

Third point - Nah, his buy on clause was only £63m so that's the max he would've cost and he's gone for equivalent of £51m because Inter wanted him off the books and told him that, I think that's so they can keep Martinez.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I dont agree with the first point because why would clubs sell for less unless they had to or wanted to get somebody off their books

I agree with the second point

Third point - Nah, his buy on clause was only £63m so that's the max he would've cost and he's gone for equivalent of £51m because Inter wanted him off the books and told him that, I think that's so they can keep Martinez.

Because most clubs will have lost a whole lot of money during this Corona-crisis and will continue to lose money due to no fans at games.

Icardi had a £110m release clause in his contract. The £63m was for PSG only agreed to in his loan deal with them. Supposedly because they already paid a loan fee.

As I said the clubs with fantasy finances like PSG (Man C maybe) and Newcastle if the Saudi's buy them will still spend huge

Edit: He might have had a £80m buy out clause if he signed that new contract in 2019?

Edited by sne

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Because most clubs will have lost a whole lot of money during this Corona-crisis and will continue to lose money due to no fans at games.

Icardi had a £110m release clause in his contract. The £63m was for PSG only agreed to in his loan deal with them. Supposedly because they already paid a loan fee.

As I said the clubs with fantasy finances like PSG (Man C maybe) and Newcastle if the Saudi's buy them will still spend huge

Edit: He might have had a £80m buy out clause if he signed that new contract in 2019?

Fair enough re PSG's loan deal to perm valuation clause my bad but that was negotiated before COVID.

Still think the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid and co will spend as they always do.  I assume Liverpool will because they have the finances and will want to keep their dominance.

Oh who knows......would be nice if we stay up and we spend some decent dough on just a few quality players because this maybe a time we can splash some cash because FFP will be in disarray because of COVID and I assume a lot of clubs will fall foul of the rules so they may have to take a break from that for a season or two otherwise they'll kill the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

No crowd,

Fitness levels

The impact on officials

etc etc etc

One aspect Villa are sadly lacking (and have done for many years) is our lack of fight and mental resolve. We see it year after year when the pressure is on we crumble, we are incapable of ever seeing out a backs-to-the-wall win, we often capitulate most of the time.

This is why I think if we lose our first match that's it we're done.

Obviously I'd like to see me proven completely wrong and our philosophy has completely changed during this lockdown period.

• Like 1

PL clubs have been told that games will go ahead even if they only have 15 available players apparently.

More so than ever this restart will be a huge advantage to the clubs with strong squads and good youth academies. 

We have neither sadly.