Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm feeling my confidence for tomorrow drain away watching this.

I know Norwich have spent very little but this could easily end up 10 nil.  They are not just being well beaten they are being taken to absolute pieces. 

Norwich didn’t spend a single penny on DM or defence on a team that conceded 57 goals in the championship. Villa have spent in the region of £80m  on 6 or so players whose job is to stop goals against. Time will tell if it was money well spent. 

• Like 2

Just now, KMitch said:

TBH, watching this thumping makes me feel more confident of getting something from Spuds tomorrow.  They'll be even more complacent.

We are way stronger than Norwich. We've prepared diligently for this. They've been passive in their approach all summer and getting what they deserve. Even Sheffield United, give them their fair dues have had a right go in the market.

• Like 2

Norwich have been really naive here. Full backs playing as wingers, Lewis marking VVD at corners. I don't think Aarons spent more than 5 minutes in the same postcode as Origi. They need to buck up their ideas, fast. 

Their movement caused Liverpool problems early on, but Pukki's limitations have been shown up in a big way. He's just too one paced at this level. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm feeling my confidence for tomorrow drain away watching this.

I know Norwich have spent very little but this could easily end up 10 nil.  They are not just being well beaten they are being taken to absolute pieces. 

Top 2 is miles ahead of even Spurs.

Games against 3rd-6th should be a lot closer for the promoted teams. Likes of Chelsea and Man. United much weaker than last season. Arsenal about the same but think they've won about 7 away games over last two seasons.

Our recent record at Anfield before relegation btw:

11-12- 1-1 (Chris Herd randomly scored that day)

12-13- 3-1 win

13-14- 2-2 draw

14-15- 1-0 win. Gabby.

15-16- 3-2 loss. Only game where Gestede did a good Benteke impression.

We tend to be pretty competitive at Anfield down the years although this Liverpool team is very very good.

More concerned with our trips to Manchester where we frequently implode under a bit of  pressure.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Our recent record at Anfield before relegation btw:

11-12- 1-1 (Chris Herd randomly scored that day)

12-13- 3-1 win

13-14- 2-2 draw

14-15- 1-0 win. Gabby.

15-16- 3-2 loss. Only game where Gestede did a good Benteke impression.

We tend to be pretty competitive at Anfield down the years although this Liverpool team is very very good.

More concerned with our trips to Manchester where we frequently implode under a bit of  pressure.

I'd much rather an opening away day at United rather than Spurs if im honest. Spurs are so well drilled and so settled. United might take a while to get going 

I didn't see the Liverpool V Norwich game, but they finished comfortably ahead of us last season, even if you just measure it from when Dean Smith took over, they were still around ten points better off than us during that time, in fact when Bruce was sacked they were actually lower than us in the Championship. So not sure if we can say we have a better team than them yet, until our new team proves itself, as as it stands we're pretty much an unknown quantity, it's almost impossible to make a prediction on how the season will go overall, I feel it could be anything from us getting relegated to having a comfortable top half finish.

Edited by useless

I swear it's not my claret and blue specs but I simply cannot see us going down this season. 

Yeah there are loads of new faces on the pitch and that represents a risk but for me the club is so much more solid from back to front than the previous few years in the PL.  The owners to Smith, Terry and O'Kelly feels like a team worthy of the club. 

Anyone on social media can back me up when I say there seems to be good chemistry off the pitch which can't be dismissed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I swear it's not my claret and blue specs but I simply cannot see us going down this season. 

Yeah there are loads of new faces on the pitch and that represents a risk but for me the club is so much more solid from back to front than the previous few years in the PL.  The owners to Smith, Terry and O'Kelly feels like a team worthy of the club. 

Anyone on social media can back me up when I say there seems to be good chemistry off the pitch which can't be dismissed. 

Totally agree. Besides the apparent lack of talent we had in our last season in the premier league, we had so many big egos in that dressing room. Not the case now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Totally agree. Besides the apparent lack of talent we had in our last season in the premier league, we had so many big egos in that dressing room. Not the case now. 

We’ve swapped the big egos for big personalities. 

• Like 3

Norwich played the Champions of Europe and a side that lost only one league game all last season. A team that includes one of the best forward lines in world football and one of the world's best centre backs.

Norwich conceded goals for fun last season and haven't strengthened that defence. The only reason they won so many games last season was because they attacked as a team and outscored the opposition, something that was going to be hard against the best defence in the league last season. 

Before tonight's game I fancied Liverpool to winning by at least that scoreline so I don't know why people are so concerned. 

Villa will concede tomorrow night. The big question is, how many can we score?

27 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Norwich played the Champions of Europe and a side that lost only one league game all last season. A team that includes one of the best forward lines in world football and one of the world's best centre backs.

Norwich conceded goals for fun last season and haven't strengthened that defence. The only reason they won so many games last season was because they attacked as a team and outscored the opposition, something that was going to be hard against the best defence in the league last season. 

Before tonight's game I fancied Liverpool to winning by at least that scoreline so I don't know why people are so concerned. 

Villa will concede tomorrow night. The big question is, how many can we score?

I went spurs 2 nil. I actually think though they might not find a way through us until the 70th minute mark or so.

22 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I went spurs 2 nil. I actually think though they might not find a way through us until the 70th minute mark or so.

I think Spurs will win but I think we will score, so I'd go more 2-1 to Spurs but with Villa having plenty of the ball and creating chances.

Trying to look at tomorrow realistically and my main concern is i am still not overly convinced we are strong enough at LB nor RB. I know we have bought Targett & Guilbert but i think it's going to take a while for them to play as tight as we need them too in the Prem. So i can deffo see us conceding goals. I agree with some posts above that we may well score plenty over the season too. I feel we will lose tomorrow though purely as Spurs will surely be tighter as a unit than us at this stage and Poch will be well aware of our deficiencies in the full back positions and how to exploit them.

We obviously can't get too downhearted with a defeat at Spurs however at this point.

Hopefully the lads surprise me but head rules heart on this one & i see a 3-1 defeat

All I want is for us to keep our identity and play the way Deano wants. If we do that there's no way we go down this season. Yes, we may get beaten by the top six but the top six are not our concern. If we win 10 or 12 games against the other 13 sides and pick up several draws we will be fine. Anything above that is a bonus. 

• Like 1

The Norwich result has to be a sort of litmus test/benchmark for us. We are playing the losing finalists and they played the winners, we came up through the playoffs and they won the league. We've improved our squad and they have largely stuck with theirs. Bettering their result at Anfield would have to be the aim, and to go out and play our stuff as much as possible.