Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's still so close. 

If we can get a striker in jan it could be a difference maker. 

Agree we need another striker but no one is going to score 2/3 goals a game, which is what we need to get any points with this current defence/set up. We need improvements defensively too.

• Like 1

It is still really close. Getting Mings back is massive. Add a couple of well placed January signings and we can still turn it around. Whatever happens I would replace Dean if he is still here at the end of the season. His approach is too inflexible and he does not seem to be learning any lessons!

• Like 1

We need Mings back for Burnley to even have a chance of a draw.

They are a very physical and streetwise prem team. Ashley Barnes will bully Konsa and Hause just like Deeney did today.

I think both full backs will be changed aswell. Not sure where Taylor is but if fit I'd start him and assume Gulibert will come back in.

Just seen Grealish is out with 5 yellows so our options to play out wide is even less, can see AEM being pushed up which will be a pretty sad sight considering all the money we've spend.

Looks like my posts in this thread have got people's hopes up again, just need to somehow get a result from nowhere against Burnley to try and get some momentum going again, can't give up on survival yet, in many seasons the eighteen points we have would be enough to keep us out of the bottom three at this stage, and dsspite all the talk of how good the premier leauge is this season near the bottom the fact that we're on such a poor run of form, eight defeats in eleven, and are still only one point from safety, contradicts that idea, all we need to do is improve, whether that comes via a new manager, new signings or both, and we will have an excellent chance of staying up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

A striker won't solve our defensive issues.

We need to go back to just conceding one goal like earlier in the season. Then we can get back to winning games.

When you look at it even the top teams don't really keep clean sheets much anymore.

League clean sheets:

Man. City- 5

Spurs 1

Arsenal 3

Man. United 2

Chelsea 4

Villa 4

Bet that's suprised you. Ultimately the top teams have so much in attack they can get draws/wins even when they concede twice in games. We weren't far off that until the Leicester game.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We need to go back to just conceding one goal like earlier in the season. Then we can get back to winning games.

When you look at it even the top teams don't really keep clean sheets much anymore.

League clean sheets:

Man. City- 5

Spurs 1

Arsenal 3

Man. United 2

Chelsea 4

Villa 4

Bet that's suprised you. Ultimately the top teams have so much in attack they can get draws/wins even when they concede twice in games. We weren't far off that until the Leicester game.

Our defense is a shambles. But our midfield is even worse. Not to mention our attack. Our keeper is great though.

I don't know what to do, but we need a lot of help. Mings coming back will help, but our spirits are pretty much broken and the manager has no plan.

However, we must stay up somehow. Whatever it takes.

• Like 1

Matic has looked alright tonight. In the slower paced games he's still an o.k player.

Considering we've loaned Axel twice in last two seasons we clearly have a decent relationship with someone at Man. United so I'd seriously consider seeing if they would loan him out as seems likely.

Would give us height and physical presence in central midfield which we really lack.

• Like 1

West Ham statement. 

It's pretty much how I feel about Smith sadly.

“It is with great disappointment that we’ve had to make this decision. Manuel is a gentleman and it has been a real pleasure to work with someone of his calibre.

“However, it has become clear that that a change is required to get the Club back on track in line with our ambitions this season. We felt it was necessary to act now in order to give the new manager as much time as possible to try and achieve that goal.”

https://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's still so close. 

If we can get a striker in jan it could be a difference maker. 

Striker + a winger + a central midfielder and we have a shot. That's quite a lot to get right though. 

If you take Grealish out of the equation then the rest of the midfield we fielded today isn't even top 5 in the Championship quality.