Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think we'll need more than the 38 points to stay up...40 perhaps?

Hope not, will be too much for us. We have 9 home games left and many of those are against top half teams so I don't fancy winning even half of them.

Need to step things up away from home now. A win at either Watford or Burnley would do wonders for confidence.

Man.City

Watford

Spurs

Sheffield United

Chelsea

Man. United

Wolves

Palace

Arsenal

That's our home run left. Watford the big six pointer and they're dangerous on the counter attack away. Palace very good away from home as are Sheffield United although hopefully Palace near the end will be "an on the beach" team. Will have to check if we're playing Wolves after a potential europa league game, that would help us.

Think we need to win four of those as a minimum so gives a scale of the task ahead. Could well have to beat two out of Man. United, Arsenal and Spurs and we haven't beaten two of those at VP since the 90s!

Chelsea is one team down the years we generally give a good game to at VP and pick up results.

We continue to struggle away and we won't stay up.

We're still due a win against a big 6 club. I think Arsenal, Chelsea, and Utd will play into our hands slightly at Villa Park, and we could get points from those games. City will be too good for us, unless we're very lucky on the day.

A really crucial fixture for us is Burnley away on New Year's Day. They have a nasty string of games around that, and if we can get 3 points, they could go into free fall.

As we all know, teams can go into a freefall at any moment, and I'm sure one of the teams around us will do that soon. We just have to stay within touching distance and make good signings in January.

• Like 1

Well those fixtures show that we're either going to have start winning away from home or against divisions better teams or we're going down. Need to dig deep and get a couple of wins from such games just to get some confidence going.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

Well those fixtures show that we're either going to have start winning away from home or against divisions better teams or we're going down. Need to dig deep and get a couple of wins from such games just to get some confidence going.

We only have Leicester and Liverpool to play away out of the whole current top 9. Bodes well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We're still due a win against a big 6 club. I think Arsenal, Chelsea, and Utd will play into our hands slightly at Villa Park, and we could get points from those games. City will be too good for us, unless we're very lucky on the day.

A really crucial fixture for us is Burnley away on New Year's Day. They have a nasty string of games around that, and if we can get 3 points, they could go into free fall.

As we all know, teams can go into a freefall at any moment, and I'm sure one of the teams around us will do that soon. We just have to stay within touching distance and make good signings in January.

Burnley are "too solid" imo to go into freefall. They will grind out wins in games they need to like at Bournemouth, Newcastle and what they did to us at VP.

Even though Bournemouth picked up a good point today they're still only two points ahead of us and have aways at Brighton on Saturday and West Ham on NYD. That's the little group we need to keep in touch with or even go above one of them by winning another game.

• Like 1

The key to us improving our away results is in new signings in January.

We need to add some pace upfront and some physical presence in central midfield.

Looking at the table after today’s results there are a number of clubs within 3 points of us.The problem is they all seem to getting points in games you expect them to lose which is what we have been unable to do.

The confidence of the players at the moment is the lowest it’s been all season.Many of the players are avoiding doing anything for fear of making a mistake with one notable exception.Today was a poor performance but a clean sheet is a good starting point for our recovery.

We had a spell like this last year and maybe the return of Mings a couple of new additions will lead to a similar upturn in second part of season.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Burnley are "too solid" imo to go into freefall. They will grind out wins in games they need to like at Bournemouth, Newcastle and what they did to us at VP.

Even though Bournemouth picked up a good point today they're still only two points ahead of us and have aways at Brighton on Saturday and West Ham on NYD. That's the little group we need to keep in touch with or even go above one of them by winning another game.

I tend to agree, but I think Dyche will struggle to keep working miracles with such a cheap squad. He's already overachieved for several seasons running.

Their next few fixtures are:

• Man Utd home
  • Villa home
  • Chelsea away
  • Leicester home
  • Man Utd away
  • Arsenal home

If we beat them (it's a big if), I feel like they'll be in the relegation zone by the end of that run.

If Chelsea had have just won today we'd be out of the bottom three, and they'd be just three points behind Leicester. For all the stick that Sarri got they had eight points more at this point last season. Lampard could soon find himself under pressure if things dont' improve, especially with their transfer ban being lifted.

Liverplop to win the league, took Leicester apart in the last 8 minutes, 4-0 now quality, how it kills me to say. How we competed against them I do not know, where's that gone, an without Grealish. Still think tactically Smith focuses on him to much, which denies other players time with the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I tend to agree, but I think Dyche will struggle to keep working miracles with such a cheap squad. He's already overachieved for several seasons running.

Their next few fixtures are:

• Man Utd home
  • Villa home
  • Chelsea away
  • Leicester home
  • Man Utd away
  • Arsenal home

If we beat them (it's a big if), I feel like they'll be in the relegation zone by the end of that run.

They could easily get a 0-0/1-1 off Man. United (they're not exactly amazing trying to break down deep low block teams), scramble a 1-0 off us when a pinball set piece hits Barnes backside and flies into top corner and I'd fancy them to take at least a point off Arsenal at home. Could get a draw in one of the other games.

Do that and they'd be on 30 points with an easier run in. I think we're looking at the wrong team if the target is Burnley.

Look at what West Ham have.

Leicester home- could lose

Bournemouth home- should win

Sheffield away- draw

Everton home- draw

Leivester away- could lose

Brighton home- draw

Man. City away- lose

Liverpool away- lose

That's their run up to March. We are 1 point behind them (they've also got a home game with Liverpool still to play), With those fixtures it's a realistic target to be above them with ten games left.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think we're looking at the wrong team if the target is Burnley.

Look at what West Ham have.

I'm not suggesting we "target" Burnley, but the game is an obvious six pointer, as is the West Ham game. Just suggesting teams who might get dragged into the relegation mix.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I'm not suggesting we "target" Burnley, but the game is an obvious six pointer, as is the West Ham game. Just suggesting teams who might get dragged into the relegation mix.

I think from 10th down should watch their back, maybe not Arsenal but they are well capable of getting in a slump and Arteta is inexperienced

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you would swear Maupay is a combination of Ronaldo and Messi the way people go on. He was dragged off after 55 minutes today

No, he was on the bench and came on after 55 mins. I'm not sure if he was being rotated out or if it was a tactical thing.

I agree, though. Get the impression that a lot of players are bigged up on here without a great deal of time actually spent watching them play.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Draws v Watford and Burnley wouldn't be the end of the world although ideally we'd take a win from one of them. My worst case target was always 20 points by NYD so we can still achieve that.

The big aways for us are going to be Watford Brighton, Bournemouth, Southampton, Newcastle and probably West Ham on the final day. We need to win a couple of them.

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

No, he was on the bench and came on after 55 mins. I'm not sure if he was being rotated out or if it was a tactical thing.

I agree, though. Get the impression that a lot of players are bigged up on here without a great deal of time actually spent watching them play.

They save him for Bournemouth at home on Saturday lunchtime which is a much more winnable game.

He's a good player and would improve us. I see suggestions he hasn't socred a huge amount of goals but it's not just that, he makes good runs and can link up o.k so that creates extra space for midfielders to run into.

• Like 1