Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

West Ham's next three games are Bournemouth at home, Sheffield United away and then Everton at home, should be a good chance for Moyes to get a decent haul of points and move them away from the bottom three. If it's true that their players wanted Pellegrini out, then we might see them pick up now just by virtue of the fact that he's gone, before you even think about the impact that Moyes might have, their players certainly are good enough to be doing better than they are doing.

After they play us Burnley's next three games are Chelsea (a) Leicester City (H) and Manchester United(a), if we can just somehow get a win there, then with those games to come they could be another team that we could look to catch up with, Southampton also have some difficult games coming up. The way we respond against Burnley should show us whether Smith has lost the dressing room or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Criminal that.

The referee basically obstructed Sheffield United, causing their player to lose the ball.

City go on to score.

Of course VAR ruled it as ok.

I am sure the rules are the game must be stopped if the red interferes

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Starting to believe in the conspiracy theory that VAR is just another tool for the match-fixers to use and the standard of refereeing is deliberately kept low so as people write off questionable decisions as simply poor refereeing.

It's just been horribly implemented.

Now everything is perfect in CL and other euro leagues regarding VAR but the right thing to do regarding penalties and offsides is to go to the monitor and have a look. For not one ref to do that or be encouraged to this season (seeing as they actually did in the FA cup two seasons ago) is the big problem for me.

If refs have done it then most of these goals chalked off for offside would be given imo and the damage wouldn't be that bad.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Just looked up Bournemouth next few fixtures....wished I hadn't bothered.

Next three are West Ham, Watford and Norwich so if they don't win and pull away from us they'll gift West Ham three points and also give points to the two teams still below us.

Well, we need them not to win anyway. As they're realistically the team we could overtake. More likely than West Ham. I assume if  we improved our form, it's Bournemouth, Southampton, Newcastle which we should be looking at. West Ham is a tricky one with their new manager. Burnley and Brighton could still possibly be in it. We need anything out of Burnley otherwise we'd be 19th in no time.

7 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Well, we need them not to win anyway. As they're realistically the team we could overtake. More likely than West Ham. I assume if  we improved our form, it's Bournemouth, Southampton, Newcastle which we should be looking at. West Ham is a tricky one with their new manager. Burnley and Brighton could still possibly be in it. We need anything out of Burnley otherwise we'd be 19th in no time.

I honestly think Watford are going to finish above us now. Their main problem was simply they couldn't win at home under the other managers (their away form has largely been o.k the whole season bar their Man. City drubbing). They have won their last two home games and not conceded in either. They could be above us on NYD if they beat Wolves.

So the issue long term will be having to outdo two teams above us rather than just the one which is obviously easier.

Guess the glimmer is there is always one team safely in mid table who from this point of the season don't win for two months and drop like a stone by the team April arrives. Last year it was Brighton. On December 29th they'd just beaten Everton 1-0 and were 13th and on 25 points. 11 points clear of relegation zone at that point.

They ended the season just about clinging on. We could really do with somebody like Newcastle not winning for their next 10 games. Given they're not that good it's not impossible.

17 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don't see Southampton getting dragged into it again, not with Ings on fire. Newcastle are pretty high up there too, don't see them getting dragged down into it either.

Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford and us are realistically gonna be competing for the last 2 relegation places. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I honestly think Watford are going to finish above us now. Their main problem was simply they couldn't win at home under the other managers (their away form has largely been o.k the whole season bar their Man. City drubbing). They have won their last two home games and not conceded in either. They could be above us on NYD if they beat Wolves.

So the issue long term will be having to outdo two teams above us rather than just the one which is obviously easier.

Guess the glimmer is there is always one team safely in mid table who from this point of the season don't win for two months and drop like a stone by the team April arrives. Last year it was Brighton. On December 29th they'd just beaten Everton 1-0 and were 13th and on 25 points. 11 points clear of relegation zone at that point.

They ended the season just about clinging on. We could really do with somebody like Newcastle not winning for their next 10 games. Given they're not that good it's not impossible.

I agree with you. However, Watford home games are only going to get harder. Hopefully our neighbors can help us again (they've helped us by turning the table against Norwich last week). I think Bournemouth are a prime example on how teams goes in a bad run. I can't remeber when and against whom was their last win (apart from Chelsea). I think we need 3 CB's at Burnley, hopefully Mings is starting, we'll need Hause as he's strong in air. I might have Hause as I left back as I don't want Taylor at all. But anyway we need to get the best formation. We need to grind results. Not all teams in touch will be in this mess but being in touch with as many teams as we can, can only help us whenever we click.

We've seen this under Houllier, Lambert first season, Lambert third season (when Sherwood came), first Championship season, last season.

We begin poor with some results here or there. then acceptable results, then humilation with holidays with a comedy defence. Some of it you won't know how we'd come back. Somehow we start winning and scoring for fun again!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't see Southampton getting dragged into it again, not with Ings on fire. Newcastle are pretty high up there too, don't see them getting dragged down into it either.

Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford and us are realistically gonna be competing for the last 2 relegation places. 

Ings is on form, but a few bad results can change a lot of things. Newcastle aren't that far, if we win somehow next game we'd be only 4 points from them. They're not a good team nor convincing. Couple of bad results and they could find themselves there again!

Looking at the coming fixtures of our relegation rivals there's a lot of scope for a lot of points being dropped in January, Newcastle, Southampton and Burnley look like they could have particularly difficult months, Watford's fixtures look tricky as well, as do Norwich's for that matter, West Ham are under pressure to get something from their next three because after that they play Liverpool twice, Leicester and Man City in quick succession... Of course none of it will matter if we don't do our part, but if we have a good month then things could change very quickly...

Spoiler

Newcastle

Leicester (h), Wolves (a), Chelsea (h), and Everton (a)

Southampton

Spurs (h), Leicester (a), Wolves (h), and Palace (a),

Watford

Wolves (h), Bournemouth (a), Spurs (h), and Aston Villa (a)

Norwich

Palace (h), Man Utd (a), Bournemouth (h), and Spurs (a)

West Ham

Bournemouth (h), Sheffield United (a), Everton (h), Leicester (a) and Liverpool (h)

Bournemouth

West Ham (a), Watford (h), Norwich (a), and Brighton (h)

Burnley

Aston Villa (h), Chelsea (a), Leicester (h), Manchester United (a)

Brighton

Chelsea (h), Everton (a), Aston Villa (h),  and Bournemouth (a)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, useless said:

Looking at the coming fixtures of our relegation rivals there's a lot of scope for a lot of points being dropped in January, Newcastle, Southampton and Burnley look like they could have particularly difficult months, Watford's fixtures look tricky as well, as do Norwich's for that matter, West Ham are under pressure to get something from their next three because after that they play Liverpool twice, Leicester and Man City in quick succession... Of course none of it will matter if we don't do our part, but if we have a good month then things could change very quickly...

Hide contents

Newcastle

Leicester (h), Wolves (a), Chelsea (h), and Everton (a)

Southampton

Spurs (h), Leicester (a), Wolves (h), and Palace (a),

Watford

Wolves (h), Bournemouth (a), Spurs (h), and Aston Villa (a)

Norwich

Palace (h), Man Utd (a), Bournemouth (h), and Spurs (a)

West Ham

Bournemouth (h), Sheffield United (a), Everton (h), Leicester (a) and Liverpool (h)

Bournemouth

West Ham (a), Watford (h), Norwich (a), and Brighton (h)

Burnley

Aston Villa (h), Chelsea (a), Leicester (h), Manchester United (a)

Brighton

Chelsea (h), Everton (a), Aston Villa (h),  and Bournemouth (a)

Even if we can get 2-4 points in the next 3 but get 3 from Watford we can give ourselves a chance with the new players. If we can somehow win at Burnley (which seems almost impossible with how we're playing), then that's a huge boost which would get us back into it, and drag Burnley with us.

I expect to lose the next two so can't see us making up much ground. Brighton away won't be easy either given they way they dominated us at VP when they had 11 on the pitch.

It really wouldn't shock me if we lost the next three, we are that bad after all and no team signs 4-5 players in first week of the January window so it will be largely what we have now.

Watford at home will be a real do or die fixture, we will simply have to win that and probably Bournemouth away straight afterwards to give us a proper shot to stay up. Two fixtures you'd be more confident of winning if we had a new manager I think.