Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Draws v Watford and Burnley wouldn't be the end of the world although ideally we'd take a win from one of them. My worst case target was always 20 points by NYD so we can still achieve that.

The big aways for us are going to be Watford Brighton, Bournemouth, Southampton, Newcastle and probably West Ham on the final day. We need to win a couple of them.

I think some Premier League teams noticeably Brighton, Bournemouth and West Ham tail off around February. They cant this year and maybe they will not be able to cope going into this period

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

They save him for Bournemouth at home on Saturday lunchtime which is a much more winnable game.

He's a good player and would improve us. I see suggestions he hasn't socred a huge amount of goals but it's not just that, he makes good runs and can link up o.k so that creates extra space for midfielders to run into.

I like him as well, and agree he would improve us. I'm not convinced his presence would have us comfortably in 9th place or whatever, though, as some have suggested.

We simply need to start taking points from games we are not expected to like Southampton did at Chelsea, we missed an opportunity with the Sheff Utd and Southampton games that could be really costly unless we get those points back elsewhere. The standard of our football is getting worse week on week now as confidence gets lower. What happens in this transfer windows could be huge, if we don't recruit well I am beginning to fear the worse.

I can see West Ham struggling they have a tough run of games up to the end of Feb.

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

I can see West Ham struggling they have a tough run of games up to the end of Feb.

I think they will sack Pellegrini by the FA Cup game. Not sure who they can bring in. Have already had Big Sam and Moyesy

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I like him as well, and agree he would improve us. I'm not convinced his presence would have us comfortably in 9th place or whatever, though, as some have suggested.

Well it's a tight league so we don't know but it would overall be better for us if we'd signed a striker like that. Main striker upfront and Wesley could learn premier league from the bench, win win. Infact for some games we could've played Wes upfront and maupay as a wider option.

To just do what we've done and play a struggling striker for half a season as first choice, we'll look at things like this in a year's time and wonder did it really happen I think.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think some Premier League teams noticeably Brighton, Bournemouth and West Ham tail off around February. They cant this year and maybe they will not be able to cope going into this period

One thing that is really hard to predict is how different clubs have periodised their training over the course of the season.

Some managers try to get their players flying from mid-August, and if you combine that with a very intense pressing style and don't rotate the squad, it often leads to burnout in the spring.

I've noticed that it's often the teams like Arsenal, who get accused of lacking intensity, who tend to perform better in the back end of the season, and the really intense teams like Spurs who fade. So it's possible Smith's Villa could fall into the same category as Arsenal, although I'm not banking on that one.

Of the relegation contenders, I don't really have a sense of which teams fall into which category. Brighton possibly have overcooked it in terms of intensity, but then Potter also seems quite good at rotating.

Edited by KentVillan

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I've noticed that it's often the teams like Arsenal, who get accused of lacking intensity, who tend to perform better in the back end of the season, and the really intense teams like Spurs who fade. So it's possible Smith's Villa could fall into the same category, although I'm not banking on that one.

Deano Brentford teams always came good late in the season. Slow starters

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Deano Brentford teams always came good late in the season. Slow starters

As did Deano's Villa team last season. I've always said that this season I see everything clicking later in the season, however that was before the Mings and McGinn injuries. A lot will depend on injuries and who we sign in January.

I'm optimistic that a little purple patch is on the way.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think they will sack Pellegrini by the FA Cup game. Not sure who they can bring in. Have already had Big Sam and Moyesy

Could be bad news for us if they do, however as you say not sure who they could bring in right now.

Just can't see more than a point from Watford and Burnley.

No faith at all that we won't get bullied by both. I'd bite your arm off for two points for the pair in normal circumstances but that's not enough.

Everyone is picking up points. West Ham dropping like a stone which is nice to see.

Everton unreal form. A good team to look at for what a few wins can do for your confidence and league position.

• Like 1

Bournemouth are the team to watch for me. They have quality, but their form was really bad. They won against Chelsea, drew against Arsenal. But apart from us, everyone is getting points out of them.

They've lost to 10 men Palace, and I'm not sure when was their last win before Chelsea.

West Ham, Brighton, Bournemouth, Southampton, Newcastle, (Everton and Palace to a lesser degree) are all in it.

My worry is how we'll be in touch with our form? Can we beat Watford? I think beating Watford would give me a lot of confidence.

I think we failed having the odd draw here and there. 3 draws is poor. Actually 5 wins half of the season isn't really bad. Arsenal, Palace, Liverpool could've all ended as draws atleast. That would've put us on 21 points with Palace two points less.

• Like 1

Huge came next round,

Southampton * Palace

Newcastle * Everton

West Ham * Leicester

Brighton * Bournemouth

Norwich * Spurs

Burnley * Man Utd

Watford * Us

So basically  games related in a way or another to us.

If we win, and Norwich failed to win. That would take our worry about Norwich and Watford. Then we'll see how other results go.

By the way, we've lost games more than Watford, which shows that we're not miles ahead out of them. They're hard to beat. But they rarely win. We could definitely win against them, there form is great but they have even less confidence than us in terms of winning games. I think that would be a huge match, possibly the most important win this season (with all circumstances around).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Just can't see more than a point from Watford and Burnley.

No faith at all that we won't get bullied by both. I'd bite your arm off for two points for the pair in normal circumstances but that's not enough.

Everyone is picking up points. West Ham dropping like a stone which is nice to see.

Everton unreal form. A good team to look at for what a few wins can do for your confidence and league position.

Agree with you on us getting bullied. We’re not strong enough in the middle of the park not to get steam rolled by both sides. We have so many weak spots.

I’m delighted with the win yesterday but really concerned with the performance. They really should have beaten us.  We need Mings back so bad just to get us a bit more organised if nothing else. We seem so easy to play through.  Losing Mcginn for 3 months is such a massive blow too. 

Ive tried to remain positive for most of the season and have said we will stay up. But after the last 2 performances at home I think we may actually look like the worst team in the league at the moment.  Saturday could be really telling.  I’d take a point any day.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

Just our luck that when we could do with Leicester doing us a favour and winning tomorrow they start to lose a bit of form, wouldn't be at all surprised if West Ham went and won that game. Looking at the fixtures I think the best case scenario for us would be if every away team won.

Telegraph saying that Moyes is favorite for the West Ham job, wouldn't be a glamorous appointment but would probably have enough know how to get them out of trouble. That said I think they will probably be okay whatever happens.

34 minutes ago, useless said:

Telegraph saying that Moyes is favorite for the West Ham job, wouldn't be a glamorous appointment but would probably have enough know how to get them out of trouble. That said I think they will probably be okay whatever happens.

Bit of a kick in the face that to moyes really they let him go after he did a good job kept them up then got the boot, only for them to crawl back to him when they are in trouble  ,cant see it happening

Edited by gwi1890

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Bit of a kick in the face that to moyes really they let him go after he did a good job kept them up then got the boot, only for them to crawl back to him when they are in trouble  ,cant see it happening

I'm sure a £9m bonus for keeping them up again will soften the dent to his ego.

• Like 1