Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

At least the international break comes at a good time for us.

We have some work to do and players need to get fit.

Hopefully both Heaton and Mings pull out.

Ideally both of our Brazilians should too.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sne said:

At least the international break comes at a good time for us.

We have some work to do and players need to get fit.

Hopefully both Heaton and Mings pull out.

Ideally both of our Brazilians should too.

Think Mings will be pulled out, Heaton already has I think which suggest the injury isn't just a knock which is very worrying. Would keep the two Brazil lads in as it's a big thing for them.

I'd consider starting Kodj v Newcastle tbh. Bit more unpredictability in final third (particularly if Jack remains out) and he might want to impress Steve Bruce again given he's out of contract in the summer.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Think Mings will be pulled out, Heaton already has I think which suggest the injury isn't just a knock which is very worrying. Would keep the two Brazil lads in as it's a big thing for them.

I'd consider starting Kodj v Newcastle tbh. Bit more unpredictability in final third (particularly if Jack remains out) and he might want to impress Steve Bruce again given he's out of contract in the summer.

Yeah I thought the games would be played in South America but apparently they are bought and paid for by the UAE so will be played over there.

Not as big issue then

People point out difficult fixtures coming up, but if we want to stay up going to have to get results in games here and there where we're not expected to, because as we've seen we're not just going to conveniently win all the so called easier fixtures. What slightly worries me is if you look at our wins they've come against an Everton team that's been woefully out of form, a Norwich team that was missing quite a few key players, and a Brighton side that was down to ten men for half of the game.

• Like 1

On the plus side we're still three points clear of the bottom three just as we were before the weekend, we're also unlucky to be as close to the relegation zone as we are with eleven points, at this stage last season Palace, Southampton, Burnley, Newcastle, Cardiff, Huddersfield, and Fulham all had nine points or less, what's hurting us in many ways is the bad form of teams like Spurs, Utd and others whereas normally they'd be taking points of our rivals this season they haven't so much, which comes back to us needing to a fair share of points from these kind of games ourselves because other teams are showing that they can do it. For what it's worth I think we might do better than expected from the fixtures coming up, if we can beat Newcastle I can see us getting two or three points from the United, Chelsea and Leicester games.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, useless said:

People point out difficult fixtures coming up, but if we want to stay up going to have to get results in games here and there where we're not expected to, because as we've seen we're not just going to conveniently win all the so called easier fixtures. What slightly worries me is if you look at our wins they've come against an Everton team that's been woefully out of form, a Norwich team that was missing quite a few key players, and a Brighton side that was down to ten men for half of the game.

Actually when we beat Everton they'd taken 4 points from their opening two so were in better form than in more recent times. At the time I'd have been happy with a point so that was a bit of a shock win for me.

We need to be getting some points off Arsenal, Man. United and Spurs at home when we play them. No good saying historically we're rubbish against them as they all have poor away records over last ten months.

Those are the fixtures where we could spring a shock or two.

Soton plays Arsenal, Watford plays Burnley and Norwich plays Everton. Tricky ones but still there is a chance that all of them would lose. 

Us against Newcastle will be a cup final. We can’t afford to lose wether we’re a full team or not. 

If our fixtures was easier I would have said a draw to end the losing rub would be fine, but with whats coming, we need a win.

2 hours ago, Elton said:

No need for panic, as poor as we were in the 1st half today, we lost by one goal away to a team who are highly rated by pundits. Last home game we were 5 minutes away from beating the Champions of Europe, both with our best player out injured..

We are fully capable of beating half the teams in this league and we’ll be fine and will also strengthen in January.

The voice of reason. Are you sure you’re in the right place? 😀

• Like 1

Im not concerned by the upcoming fixtures.   You have to play these at some point in the season so it doesn't matter when.   We're not going to go on a long unbeaten run like last season but we're going to pick up points to keep our heads above water.   And in January we'll definitely buy again. 

• Like 1

You guys think Newcastle is massive? Me too.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if our expectations don't mean anything in determining the outcome of the game.

Newcastle are doing okay, they were actually really good against West Ham, honestly, I'm not predicting it, but wouldn't be surprised if they got the victory against us.

Our outcomes this season won't be decided by fans expectations as to which teams we require points from, losing to Bruce won't make us sh*t all season necessarily.

It will be decided by the quality of approach and preparation Smith does, and how the players apply themselves and execute on each and every game day.

Wolves was a very poor first half and it cost us the game. We still only lost by a goal.

Looking at the fixtures there's a good chance we could still be three points clear of bottom three going into the Newcastle game, Southampton are away to Arsenal, Norwich away to Everton, and Watford are at home to Burnley which at first glance might seem like a favourable fixture for them but I think that one could go either way. Obviously no matter what we need to beat Newcastle though, if those results do go our way it will be a good chance to put a bit of a gap between us and the relegation places.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Farlz said:

3ad4dc1523b4c53b53e0d701b411a24c.png

Newcastle is massive

That is a terrible run of fixtures and we will have done Nakamba not to be bottom of the league after those five league games. 

Realistically, 3 points against Newcastle is all I would hope for. However, we have to really fight in the hope that we get something more than that and all I can see is maybe a point against Leicester and Sheffield United, at best.