Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

On 11/11/2019 at 10:33, useless said:

I think there's a chance we might sneak a draw against Chelsea or United, and think we're capable of beating Leicester at home, and certainly we can give Sheffield United a good game. The key is the Newcastle match, need to win that one not just for the points but also to get some confidence back going into another tough run of games. Hopefully Grealish will be fit after the international break which as well as being good because it will mean we have our best player back, should also give the rest of the team a lift psychologically as well.

I genuinly think we can beat Man Utd if we step up. They aren't that good. 

On 12/11/2019 at 11:10, MotoMkali said:

I don't see us drawing with Watford. They are crap even if they have troy deeney. I think we should be able to smack them if we are fully fit. 

They have drawn home and away this season to Arsenal and Spurs (matches we couldn't see out when draws were within our grasp) and recently drew 0-0 at home to Bournemouth and Sheffield. Also won comfortably at Norwich like we did.

TBH I don't see them as a bottom 3 side like Norwich and Southampton who'll be down there all season. Just had a really poor start but they aren't actually losing that many games now so think they'll pull clear in second half of the season.

Of course we can still win v them but I don't expect to smack them like we did Norwich as they simply have better players.

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

They were very good against Brighton created more chances than ive seen from them in a long time.

Brighton generally have a go so their rapid front three had acres of space to run into. Generally they struggle to score when teams play packed defences against them like Newcastle did recently.

Worry we'll just go and try to attack them and will be picked off in first 20 minutes.

Just been to the movies here in NJ with my daughter to see Ford vs Ferrari. We both almost jumped out of our seat when we saw Ken Miles son watching the Le Mans race wearing a Villa top with the Classic old badge. I know I had one of those when I was younger. Great to see.

Keep an eye out for it.

UTV

• Like 3

Sorry to be Debbie Downer (as I have been basically all season) but am I the only one that’s actually lost interest since we’ve been in the PL? I hate it. Success is just not getting relegated. All I get to read about is fecking Mourinho and Pogba and “Ole’s at the wheel” and Klopp and Guardiola and VAR. That’s it. Nothing else. We are like an extra in a ridiculous soap opera.

Obviously it’s a catch 22 as I’d hate us to be relegated but it’s just so boring. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Sorry to be Debbie Downer (as I have been basically all season) but am I the only one that’s actually lost interest since we’ve been in the PL? I hate it. Success is just not getting relegated. All I get to read about is fecking Mourinho and Pogba and “Ole’s at the wheel” and Klopp and Guardiola and VAR. That’s it. Nothing else. We are like an extra in a ridiculous soap opera.

Obviously it’s a catch 22 as I’d hate us to be relegated but it’s just so boring. 

That's because we are an extra in this league, its no longer a lot about us as it was when we were in the Championship 

Personally, I don't care if the headlines from the league are not about us, has literally no bearing on my enjoyment in watching this club. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

I understand your point and the media have always been annoyingly obsessed about their favourites, led by the arse kissing BBC. That will never change but hopefully over the next few seasons our role in this soap opera will grow, which may in someways not always be particularly palatable. However provided that means we are successful on the pitch and off it run in a morally correct way, interpret that as you will,  then we can perhaps truly feel the joy of being in the PL. 

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’ve enjoyed watching us play though apart from the results and the Wolves game. We’ve been competitive in most of the games. My biggest concern was getting a whipping every week so I’m relieve that hasn’t happened.

Agree all the stuff about the rest of the league is boring. I don’t pay much attention.

edit: when I try and watch a championship game these days the difference in quality really does stand out.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

Don't care about media or coverage tbh. I'll never ever watch MOTD if we lose a game. I won't watch any football all weekend if we lose a Friday night or early Saturday match.

Getting the wins and performances v better teams will bring me more joy than one v a Middlesbrough or Wigan.

• Like 2

No money to spend in January best hope we come good and quick, because if we find ourselves in the bottom three after Chrimbo or within a couple of points of it then we could find ourselves in trouble especially if the teams around us strengthen their sides whilst we stand still. This weekend has become all the more vital, if things go wrong we could find ourselves on level points with the bottom three, but if we win and the bottom three all lose then we will be six points clear which will hopefully put us on a good footing to maintain a bit of distance between ourselves and the relegation places.

1 hour ago, useless said:

No money to spend in January best hope we come good and quick, because if we find ourselves in the bottom three after Chrimbo or within a couple of points of it then we could find ourselves in trouble especially if the teams around us strengthen their sides whilst we stand still. This weekend has become all the more vital, if things go wrong we could find ourselves on level points with the bottom three, but if we win and the bottom three all lose then we will be six points clear which will hopefully put us on a good footing to maintain a bit of distance between ourselves and the relegation places.

What makes you think that?

Apparently it's what Gregg Evans has said so, whether he's correct or not is another matter, to be fair it was only yesterday that he was saying that we'd identified striker targets in Italy, France and Spain, so we'll see. One thing we do have in our favor is that we've still got two loan spaces, so that might be a way of bringing in some quality without having to spend anything until the summer.

Edited by useless

Striker will come in on loan I suspect (especially if he's a little bit more "proven" than the one we signed during the summer). I don't mind that.

We're well covered in pretty much every other area with hopefully more to come from some of the summer signings.

We just need a win to get back in the mix.

Newcastle could go 5th by beating us!

We can only go as high as 15th, but it'll bring us back into the silly land of mid-table where everyone is in touching distance.

On 21/11/2019 at 01:17, Spoony said:

Yep the Championship was a lot more fun, think I have watched about 3 other games this season that were coincidentally on while I was in the pub. Except for Villa I couldnt care less

I never really enjoyed the culture of the Premier League but VAR has definitely killed my interest more

• Like 2