Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

32 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Newcastle are still in it, if they win one soon then it could calm them, otherwise they’re still in it.

Bournemouth went on two to three months with only 4-5 points.

The more I look at it I think Brighton & Newcastle should be safe & it will be between Villa, West Ham, Watford & Bournemouth for the last two spots. Watford & West Ham appear to have the most favourable run in out of the Four. Villa need to go on a run if they want to survive.

• Like 2

Unless the McGinn return ends up being very much like Grealish from last season then I see no possible way we do whats required to stay up. Our fixture list is a nightmare, I look at it and think 8 of the remaining 11 are already write offs. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Unless the McGinn return ends up being very much like Grealish from last season then I see no possible way we do whats required to stay up. Our fixture list is a nightmare, I look at it and think 8 of the remaining 11 are already write offs. 

I don't think McGinn will make a blind bit of difference not like we were putting together back to back wins when he was in the team. I think our season will depend on what those 3 teams below us do we really need Watford and WHU to be shitter than us if we are to have a chance!

• Like 2

Guess one way to look at Newcastle for rest of the season is if they're to get safe that will be by beating/drawing with West Ham, Bournemouth, us and Watford.

Of course the worst case scenario is they lose those but still beat us. Knowing the depths we can sink to it will probably happen.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

This is where I'm at as well. We don't win any games that aren't 'winnable', and we have very few 'winnable' games remaining. There's no sign whatsoever that we're going to stop conceding an average of 2 goals per game (if anything, it's likely to be more given that essentially every team we play gets 20+ shots) and you just don't win many games in which you concede two goals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is where I'm at as well. We don't win any games that aren't 'winnable', and we have very few 'winnable' games remaining. There's no sign whatsoever that we're going to stop conceding an average of 2 goals per game (if anything, it's likely to be more given that essentially every team we play gets 20+ shots) and you just don't win many games in which you concede two goals.

A bit worried aswell that Arsenal and Man. United are starting to get more consistant form. Was hoping both would be way off top 4 and just concentrating on europa when we played them near end of the season but the Man. City ruling wasn't good for us especially as it seems the appeal will only be held in the summer so both might aswell go all out for 5th as could well be enough for CL.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A bit worried aswell that Arsenal and Man. United are starting to get more consistant form. Was hoping both would be way off top 4 and just concentrating on europa when we played them near end of the season but the Man. City ruling wasn't good for us especially as it seems the appeal will only be held in the summer so both might aswell go all out for 5th as could well be enough for CL.

Yeah, our fixture list is bleak. There's very few games against teams with nothing to play for, and only three that look genuinely promising.

• Like 1

Don’t judge me but I do wonder if anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation: I reckon right now I care about Villa about 50% less than last season. This is the same McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde shite that we endured for years. The championship was amazing. We were top dogs, fighting, hope for great things etc. This is just a return to the shite old days in a league where we just can’t compete and I really struggle to even care. I haven’t watched a villa game in weeks. I just vaguely track the score. It isn’t very interesting anymore. 

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

I disagree.

We're very poor away from home, but as we hinted against Spurs and Leicester (cup game), we definitely have it in us to pick up results against better teams at Villa Park, regardless of McGinn's availability.

We only really need a couple of lucky results, and then good performances against the very bad teams (Newcastle, West Ham) and we can stay up.

It's obviously pretty bleak at the moment, but the bookies still have us as roughly 50/50 to go down (maybe 60/40 now). It's by no means a foregone conclusion.

We've been in a much worse position this season, after losing away at Watford. Then we came back and won at Burnley. Then Burnley went on a run and now a top 10 team.

Small things matters in these relegation fights, our last minute goal against Watford last month is keeping us out of the relegation zone despite keeping losing a game after another. Had Engels didn't mistake against Spurs we'll be saying that we began to take points out of top teams.

We've seen enough from Smith that he can turn it around. We had a good spell last season in November against all Championship teams, then started a run of losing points. Then we all know the rest, March onwards.

This season we came out of a very difficult situations, we weren't lucky enough with some results or decisions but we're getting the odd win here or there.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's only exciting in the championship when you're actually in contention to get promoted. 16-17 was far worse seen than this one given we were mid table for pretty much all that season.

Doubt any Wolves or Sheffield United would go back to that in a hurry.

17-18, We were playing the last couple of months and hoping Fulham goes up automatically, it was meaningless.

18-19, We weren't in the top 6 until the last couple of weeks.

We've only been in the top two for two weeks in three years time.

It's not as if we were doing miracles, I don't really want to go back there. We could build on something here. This season was always going to be hard. We didn't have much time to build and we went up without a squad actually.

People are understimating the thing and some really forget some of our performances down there.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

17-18, We were playing the last couple of months and hoping Fulham goes up automatically, it was meaningless.

18-19, We weren't in the top 6 until the last couple of weeks.

We've only been in the top two for two weeks in three years time.

It's not as if we were doing miracles, I don't really want to go back there. We could build on something here. This season was always going to be hard. We didn't have much time to build and we went up without a squad actually.

People are understimating the thing and some really forget some of our performances down there.

This is the kicker for me, when people say they'd rather go down than getting in an established manager but unfashionable manager to steady the ship. We have a way better chance of building something if we actuually survive the drop than going down. Don't know how people can view it otherwise.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

This is the kicker for me, when people say they'd rather go down than getting in an established manager but unfashionable manager to steady the ship. We have a way better chance of building something if we actuually survive in the PL.

I'll add and say we actually can build something even by having Smith as a manager.

Anyway imagine if we win the cup (somehow) and stayed up? It will be the most succesful season in many years somehow.

We didn't have the chance in getting quality players, but if we stayed up, we could easily spend 80m on 3-4 players. With 2 or 3 cheap ones as covers.

Those would improve our team a lot.

Actually we have a good prospects in our team,

Targett, Guilbert, Luiz, Konsa and Samatta

All of those could turn out to be good PL players by time, ofcourse with Grealish, McGinn and Mings. Heaton is good too.

Its just that everyone is new, some don't have experiences. Even with experienced players at Watford or West Ham they're finding it hard. We still have the advantage of low wages. We can start spending more on a higher caliber players.

We clearly lack wingers, We lack a big DM that can win battles down there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I don't think McGinn will make a blind bit of difference not like we were putting together back to back wins when he was in the team. I think our season will depend on what those 3 teams below us do we really need Watford and WHU to be shitter than us if we are to have a chance!

I agree with this. Instead of being able to just win a few games and stay up we now have to rely on other teams being worse than us.

Theres been quite a few games this season where I thought we arent good enough to compete in this league, looking very much a championship outfit coming up against established looking premier league teams and players who are just running rings around us.

Then out of nowhere, a good performance where we look like we can cause an upset and look to be acclimatising (first halves vs. Arsenal, Liverpool without Grealish, Man Utd, Tottenham). We go onto lose normally yes, but these sort of occurances prove we have it in us to compete when we’re at it. This is my hope now, in that every awful display we put in, there tends to be a half decent one around the corner. Just need to hang on and do it for a full 90 to have that chance of winning regardless if its against a Newcastle or a Chelsea.

• Like 3

Need to make the most of our home matches. No more nearly games. We need to get at least 1 win out of Arsenal/United/Chelsea or alternatively 3 draws. Get at least 3 points from Sheffield United/Wolves/Palace, being optimistic, I can see 5. On top of that, a win against Newcastle is also paramount as well as at least a draw against West Ham. I think that should be enough.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

A big factor with the Arsenal, United, Chelsea games is they're all still in Europe:

• we play Chelsea 14th March - second leg vs Bayern is on 18th March.
  • we play Man Utd 19th April - quarter final second leg of Europa League is 16th April.
  • we play Arsenal 9th May - semi-final second leg of europa League is 7th May.

Now clearly the third one isn't guaranteed, but there's a fair chance Man Utd will get past Brugge, meaning Chelsea and Man Utd will most likely have one eye on their European ties.

We couldn't really have picked better times to be facing them at home.

That's not to say I think we'll get 9 points, but I think our "difficult" fixture list is a lot less scary than received wisdom suggests.

We also seem to play better against the top-6 teams. Fingers crossed SJM is back for those we well, he will be well up for it.