Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, Zatman said:

FWIW if we win the cup Sunday a big IF but I genuinely would consider this season a success even if we go down

I honestly wouldn't but it'd be as good as consolation as we could ever have hoped for.

Just now, sne said:

I honestly wouldn't but it'd be as good as consolation as we could ever have hoped for.

quarter of a century without a trophy. People will remember who won the 2020 trophy but not who finished 16th that season

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

quarter of a century without a trophy. People will remember who won the 2020 trophy but not who finished 16th that season

Yeah but is it worth sacrificing a couple of years of progress and having to sell Grealish and anyone else that is interesting to other teams?

We'd have to start from zero again and hope that Louie Barry becomes a superstar in 5 years and honestly as much as I'd love for us to win the cup it's a tin pot cup and I can't even remember who won it last year.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah but is it worth sacrificing a couple of years of progress and having to sell Grealish and anyone else that is interesting to other teams?

We'd have to start from zero again and hope that Louie Barry becomes a superstar in 5 years and honestly as much as I'd love for us to win the cup it's a tin pot cup and I can't even remember who won it last year.

t8 of the last 9 trophies have been won by City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool. hardly tin pot

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I doubt apart from Villa fans that nobody will remember either of those things to be honest

Just now, Zatman said:

t8 of the last 9 trophies have been won by City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool. hardly tin pot

Just have to look at the teams Plop sent out to see how they value it but it's fine we have different valuations about this cup.

A title is always a title but for me it would not offset getting relegated, not even a little bit.

Getting a Europa spot would potentially help us in the long run thou.

If I had a choice between surviving and winning the league cup I'd take winning the league cup every time, football should be about winning trophies something we haven't done now for a long time, and we might not get this close to doing so again for a while. And for as much as people say that the league cup is 'mickey mouse' or whatever, it's usually won by one of the best teams in the country, Man City have won it in three of the last four seasons.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Are people seriously saying we can win?! Jesus Christ. We can't even beat Bournemouth or Southampton. If we played this match 20 times we'd lose 20 time with more than 100 negative goal difference as it currently stands. 

sure people should just bin the tickets and cancel the hotels. FFS

Since its a cup game I dont understand what goal difference would do either

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

sure people should just bin the tickets and cancel the hotels. FFS

Since its a cup game I dont understand what goal difference would do either

Will be a great day out but we are going to get absolutely pilloried. If anyone can provide any evidence as to why we won't I'm open to listen to it

7 hours ago, useless said:

Over the last ten games only Liverpool and Man City have taken more points than Southampton, and whilst they might have the worst home form in the league that statistic is skewed by their early season form, recently they haven't been that bad at St Mary's they've beat and drew with Tottenham there beaten Palace in the last month or so. Point being I don't think the Southampton game was ever going to be as easy as many were expecting, and just because we lost it doesn't mean to say that we can't possibly hope to beat anyone else, as we will play teams in far worse form than Southampton have been in between now and the end of the season, and also teams with less to play for.

They have been on a good run sure but 6 of their 19 points from the last 10 games have come from beating us twice. They had only won 3 games all season (& 2 of those were home to Norwich & Watford) before dicking us 3-1 at VP which seemed to give them a massive boost

23 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Are people seriously saying we can win?! Jesus Christ. We can't even beat Bournemouth or Southampton. If we played this match 20 times we'd lose 20 time with more than 100 negative goal difference as it currently stands. 

Dude, I'm a realist but even I would give us something gfrom 20 games against them! 100 goals against? 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

True, but he wasn't at the level he was for the back end of last season. He was on a different planet to other players in the championship for the last 15 or so games. 

I don't want to take all the credit away from Smith for our promotion but Grealish makes every one of our players better and Smith relies on him so much. Pitarch has made Smith's job extremely difficult this season with the signings he (I think) made. I think we've bought a load of championship quality players tbh. 

I disagree, I think he wasn't quite at the level of his exquisite 17/18 season after he came back from his freak kidney injury. He was kind of reserved in comparison last season, like he was hiding his true power level but his immense influence was enough to galvanize the whole team. This season he reached that level again and just smashed through it.

51 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So I guess the points total to stay up gets less and less every week if the teams at the bottom of the league continue to pick up nil points?

What do people think is the total to stay up now?

I think 37 or maybe 38 points will keep a team up.