• Adomah
    • El Ghazi
    • Abraham
    • Green (Adomah 72)
    • Hause (Mings 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/05/19 at 22:59

Wanted to get Grealish levels of drunk when that final whistle blew and but for wife/children/work I would of done! Loving it in work today though, Wolves fans in my office are getting a little worried now!

The game itself wasn't much of a spectacle, the pressure really got to both teams in the first half, it was very scrappy, then from nowhere really we played a lovely bit of football back to front which brought the goal, fortunate it came of his back and went in, but the play up to that was excellent.

Derby started too negative and seemed to be playing a system a little alien to them, they couldn't seem to get enough men up the pitch and when they finally started to press our defence we cut right through them. At half time I expected Lampard to right his errors and change things up, he didn't and that seemed to help us grow in to the game more in second half, the second goal was coming but the circumstances made it seem out of the blue, it was very welcome and gave us some breathing room.

As soon as Lampard hooked Huddlestone and changed the system they instantly looked more dangerous but still didn't really bring a save from Steer, I liked how we played at this stage, we didn't drop in and try to man the barricades, we still had a go at them, kept breaking when they came forward, kept men up the pitch, it made it so much harder for them to commit as many men forward as they wanted. For the goal we got a bit stretched and Mings looked like he had saved the day, if he hadn't of injured himself in the process we may not of conceded at all. The goal did force us to sit deeper inevitability, but we still tried to break when their final ball broke down. 

The last 20 minutes or so were nervous, but again I don't think Steer had anything difficult to do, just collect a few crosses and land on a few loose balls.

Smith went with what got us there and the player had full trust in that, I think Lampard over thought things, maybe because of the results earlier in the season and he was too passive. 

In the end we made the least mistakes, showed the most intent and were braver in the way we set up. We deserved it!

UTV!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick said:

Look at where Villa were at the beginning of this season, you're in a much better place. You'll pass FFP and can rebuild with a young manager in charge - and fwiw, Frank is a very good manager.

As for what would have happened with Villa. Our owners were confident we'd be ok, but Jack would have gone, perhaps McGinn, definitely Mings and Abraham, so we would have had to build again - but that's football.

If you can bring Mount and Wilson back, and add another 3/4 good young players, you will storm the league, I hope so, and I hope you batter Leeds twice.

It would be nice - but the best bit about the championship is that there are lots of games against teams nearby and frequently 

40 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Wanted to get Grealish levels of drunk when that final whistle blew and but for wife/children/work I would of done! Loving it in work today though, Wolves fans in my office are getting a little worried now!

The game itself wasn't much of a spectacle, the pressure really got to both teams in the first half, it was very scrappy, then from nowhere really we played a lovely bit of football back to front which brought the goal, fortunate it came of his back and went in, but the play up to that was excellent.

Derby started too negative and seemed to be playing a system a little alien to them, they couldn't seem to get enough men up the pitch and when they finally started to press our defence we cut right through them. At half time I expected Lampard to right his errors and change things up, he didn't and that seemed to help us grow in to the game more in second half, the second goal was coming but the circumstances made it seem out of the blue, it was very welcome and gave us some breathing room.

As soon as Lampard hooked Huddlestone and changed the system they instantly looked more dangerous but still didn't really bring a save from Steer, I liked how we played at this stage, we didn't drop in and try to man the barricades, we still had a go at them, kept breaking when they came forward, kept men up the pitch, it made it so much harder for them to commit as many men forward as they wanted. For the goal we got a bit stretched and Mings looked like he had saved the day, if he hadn't of injured himself in the process we may not of conceded at all. The goal did force us to sit deeper inevitability, but we still tried to break when their final ball broke down. 

The last 20 minutes or so were nervous, but again I don't think Steer had anything difficult to do, just collect a few crosses and land on a few loose balls.

Smith went with what got us there and the player had full trust in that, I think Lampard over thought things, maybe because of the results earlier in the season and he was too passive. 

In the end we made the least mistakes, showed the most intent and were braver in the way we set up. We deserved it!

UTV!

It’s worth mentioning that neither keeper had much to do and ours didn’t do the basics which cost the game - chances weren’t created by either team but were mainly handed over - all irrelevant now good luck next season 

• Like 2

Reflecting further on yesterday, one of the things that stuck with me was how together the club seems to be. It wasn't that many months ago that there were rumours (unsubstantiated) that the dressing room was riven with infighting and that some of the senior pros were not on-board with Smith's plans. John Terry was a divisive figure (apparently) and was undermining the Head Coach. 

Cut to yesterday and the unity among playing and coaching staff was clear to see. I know it's easy when you win but seeing the players interact with the wider support staff (Alex Butler is always easy to spot but it wasn't just him), leaping about and embracing them all, having photos taken with them, etc - it's clear to see that this is a real bond and team spirit at the club. There's a real togetherness there and when you see loanees talking about the club, making it clear they'd like to stay (as a number have been for a while) it only bodes well for the future.

• Like 2

Still soaking up the buzz from yesterday! Feels like a new fresh start with a top bloke as our manager, funny enough I'm gonna miss the championship in a way, but villa need to be in the prem building towards getting back with the big boys! All in all been a mad 3yrs and let's hope we have all learnt something from it. UTV

• Like 2

An absolutely amazing day. The tension leading up to the game was unbearable and agonizingly slow. When the first goal went in the tension all but disappeared. When the second went in, everything became clear we are going up! When they scored, there was still no doubt, it was fate we were going back to where we belong.

At the final whistle the tears of happiness started to flow. I have been in some incredible atmospheres as a Villa fan but Wembley yesterday was up there with the best of them. The millstone that was the championship has been lifted. We can now look forward again!

I’m still on cloud nine, albeit with a bit of a hangover! 

UP THE VILLA! 

Edited by MikeMcKenna

27 minutes ago, Visiting Ram said:

It’s worth mentioning that neither keeper had much to do and ours didn’t do the basics which cost the game - chances weren’t created by either team but were mainly handed over - all irrelevant now good luck next season 

I agree, we got in to some good areas but didn't force your keeper into any real saves, Grealish had a couple of opportunities to do so but he wasn't quite at it. Cagey games like yesterday rarely throw up lots of chances. I think you just expect the last 10 minutes when a team is really going for it that your keeper is going to have to do something special to keep them out, but it just never quite materialised.

As mentioned at the end of my post we made the least mistakes which was the main difference between the two teams. I think the fact you were missing a few players probably didn't help with this, but also changing up your formation/tactics seemed to cause a little confusion which probably didn't help either.

I really hope you guys re-group and have a good run at it again next season, you try to play football the right way and your fans are a credit to your club. I hope Lampard sticks with you and keeps improving as well, I think he'll be kicking himself but he seems the type that learns from mistakes/experiences and comes out the side stronger.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Something I had totally forgotten about until just now and something that maybe only those of us who watched on TV might of noticed.

Was the bloke who along with the woman was introduced to the two teams before the game totally plastered?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I can’t quote the picture because the thread’s closed, but it was an absolute pleasure to meet some of the VT lads before the game. 

All gents. 

And @GarethRDR of course who I didn’t meet until after the game. 

He’s **** rubbish at remembering old lineups though 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Only bad part about yesterday was the deafening music played after the game from the final whistle until everyone had left. 

I know there were a couple of relevant Villa tunes, but you almost couldn’t hear anything else. 

I was looking forward to hearing chants and songs from the crowd and all you could hear was that awful **** “we love you villa we do” song. 

I thought this too. Would have been nice to be able to chant at the end with the players joining in in front of us but any attempt at getting a chant going was always going to get drowned out.

Even the relevant songs were a bit of a stretch. Having to have the entire Madness song on for the one line song we have about Hause was a little odd!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Something I had totally forgotten about until just now and something that maybe only those of us who watched on TV might of noticed.

Was the bloke who along with the woman was introduced to the two teams before the game totally plastered?

Ha! Yeah I saw him right at the start, looked like he'd been sniffing glue and glugging parrafin :)

Â