Snooker loopy

Mark Albrighton

21 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Couldn’t see a snooker thread so will just note in here that Ronnie O’Sullivan has reached 1000 career century breaks. To give that some context, Stephen Hendry has the second highest with 775.

I know snooker isn’t a particularly hotly discussed subject on here and Ronnie is an acquired taste at the best of times, but just thought the achievement was worth acknowledging.

Quality player but an absolute bell!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

just me who got  confused by the word "Sport" at the beginning of the thread  ?

Love snooker. But fully agree.

I have a very formative hypothesis on 'sports';

Sport - Football, Rugby, Tennis - physically tiring activity with point/goal reward or speed objective

Games - Snooker, Golf, Chess - mentally challenging or skill based.

Arts - Gymnastics, diving, ice skating - activity that is 'judged' (subjectively)

But I'm sure there are activities that fall in to grey areas...

Back on topic though, O'Sullivan's achievement is outstanding but his personality will prevent him getting the accolades he perhaps deserves. He's so far ahead of anyone else who has ever played the game it's incredible. I can't think of any other 'sport' where that is the case - GOATs can be debated or people talk of eras, with snooker there just isn't a debate.

18 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I have a very formative hypothesis on 'sports';

Sport - Football, Rugby, Tennis - physically tiring activity with point/goal reward or speed objective

Games - Snooker, Golf, Chess - mentally challenging or skill based.

Arts - Gymnastics, diving, ice skating - activity that is 'judged' (subjectively)

But I'm sure there are activities that fall in to grey areas...

This is nearly perfect, though competitive arts might be better

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Congrats to Judd Trump for playing some of the most amazing snooker I've seen, let alone in a world final. Amazing talent and it seems he has now sorted his matchplay out.

As Stephen Henry said, is the start of a new era of domination of the sport by Judd Trump?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Congrats to Judd Trump for playing some of the most amazing snooker I've seen, let alone in a world final. Amazing talent and it seems he has now sorted his matchplay out.

As Stephen Henry said, is the start of a new era of domination of the sport by Judd Trump?

Trump seemed to develop an over-my-dead-body steel to his game that wasn't there before he had that tiff with Kyren Wilson and then beat him in the first round of the Masters.  You're right I suspect Trump will probably dominate, at least the bits that Ronnie doesn't just turn up and win.

Don’t like it in general and can’t play it. This is not a dig either, but I usually put the snooker on if I’m having an afternoon nap. I find it really relaxing. The sound of the balls hitting other balls is nice, and the quietness of it. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The sound of the balls hitting other balls is nice, and the quietness of it. 

Ruge, if you want someone to upload a Kenneth Williams gif, you just have to ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Don’t like it in general and can’t play it. This is not a dig either, but I usually put the snooker on if I’m having an afternoon nap. I find it really relaxing. The sound of the balls hitting other balls is nice, and the quietness of it. 

I get this 100%

i used to put the highlights on when I was going to sleep. 

I like it just enough to be able to watch it. But don’t care enough to worry about missing it when I fall asleep. 

Great napping material. Would nap again. 13/10

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Â