Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Total unmitigated nonsense, I've seen him play a number of times, pretty good player but £20m+ is very poor value.

I’ll ask again. How can a sum be poor value until he has played for us? 

If we pay 20 million and he gives us 5 seasons as first choice centre half. Would he still be poor value? 

Or what if we sign him for 5milliom and he flops in this first season. Would he have been good value? 

I get you think 20m is too much for him. But I don’t think anybody can say if it’s good value or not until he’s played for us. 

• Like 2

Beautiful Weight of pass on him in that highlight reel. He will not  the time and space  to carry the ball like that in the Prem. Interesting prospect for sure. Not sure if I’d prefer Webster of someone like lascelles from Newcastle ... ( not that he has been linked or necessarily available but you never know with Ashley ) ... 

Edited by thabucks

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

No Webster was at Ipswich 2016-18, Mings was at Ipswich 2012-15.

As @useless said above, Mings was a LB at Ipswich, and i believe Bournemouth bought him as a LB pretty much, he really only played consistently at CB at Villa.

Webster also looks like he started as a full back, not sure when he played mostly at CB, but he defo plays CB for Bristol.

Would be funny to have a 6ft 4 CB (Mings), and a 6ft 3 CB (Webster), then add that to Targett who is 6ft.......just Guilbert who is 5ft 8 and a half :)

then up front we will have Wesley (6ft 3) and El Ghazi (6ft 2).......if we arent rubbish we could be nasty from free kicks/corners next season.

Not sure el Ghazi is that tall tbh? When seen him play at villa park he looks about 5 10 and he’s definitely not very good in the air

3 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Not sure el Ghazi is that tall tbh? When seen him play at villa park he looks about 5 10 and he’s definitely not very good in the air

well, the worldwide interwebz says he's 6ft 2?

Ye he needs to improve his ariel prowess, but im fairly sure he is 6ft 2.

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Beautiful Weight of pass on him in that highlight reel. He will not  the time and space  to carry the ball like that in the Prem. Interesting prospect for sure. Not sure if I’d prefer Webster of someone like lascelles from Newcastle ... ( not that he has been linked or necessarily available but you never know with Ashley ) ... 

Lascelles is interesting defender, lots of pace and power and Benitez improved his positional sense a fair bit. Not a bad shout although Schar is Newcastle's best CB so would love a cheeky bid for him with their chaos currently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

he scores important goals with his traps though so it’s all good

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll ask again. How can a sum be poor value until he has played for us? 

If we pay 20 million and he gives us 5 seasons as first choice centre half. Would he still be poor value? 

Or what if we sign him for 5milliom and he flops in this first season. Would he have been good value? 

I get you think 20m is too much for him. But I don’t think anybody can say if it’s good value or not until he’s played for us. 

Tbf, football outside Villa Park exists, and it's fair enough to have an opinion on a player before he joins. There are countless players who have never played for us who I'd love us to sign, and countless more I'd hate to see us go for. Football nowadays is so accessible globally that I think lots of supporters will have valid views on who would or wouldn't be good value. For me, £20-30m for Webster would be total madness.

• Like 1

image.png.33c2634369009cbd8590e48b6f035098.png

If all the "Deals" rumored to be completed soon are to be believed, this is a lineup capable of staying up, at the least.  Everyone in this team is good with the ball at their feet and works hard for the team.  Get another talented winger, everyone stays healthy, and Smith adapts his style to the Premier League and I think we'll surprise a lot of people with the results we can get this season.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Tbf, football outside Villa Park exists, and it's fair enough to have an opinion on a player before he joins. There are countless players who have never played for us who I'd love us to sign, and countless more I'd hate to see us go for. Football nowadays is so accessible globally that I think lots of supporters will have valid views on who would or wouldn't be good value. For me, £20-30m for Webster would be total madness.

Ok fair enough. So I take it you don’t think Webster is good enough to be a Premier League player?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Aren't we signing a new striker? Feels like a bit of a risk to just put Wesley up there and expect him to get 10-15 in his first season.

It's forgotten but when Benteke was signed he was initally a squad striker, we had Bent and Gabby who in 2012 was still a decent premier league striker so correct balance.

Etheridge

Gulibert

Kamil Glik

Mings

Greg Taylor

Milivojevic

McGinn

Grealish

Chukuweze

Rondon

El Ghazi

Subs: Steer, Hause, Chester, Hourihane, AEM, Wesley, Kodjia/Jota

That team would be top half I reckon so still got to get 2-3 key ones in before fully confident imo.

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Aren't we signing a new striker? Feels like a bit of a risk to just put Wesley up there and expect him to get 10-15 in his first season.

It's forgotten but when Benteke was signed he was initally a squad striker, we had Bent and Gabby who in 2012 was still a decent premier league striker so correct balance.

Shane Long, apprently

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok fair enough. So I take it you don’t think Webster is good enough to be a Premier League player?

He may well be good enough to be a PL player but for £20-30m, I would want a proven outstanding defender from one of Europe's top leagues. Not only has Webster never played in the PL, he has never played for England at U20/U21 level, not to mention the seniors. If he was available for £5m it'd be worth a punt, but the prices quoted would be crazy imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Kodjia hasn’t been the same player since his injury sadly for me, he was ok last season nothing more. He looked like he wasn’t giving it 100% at times to me

They’re a similar age, Kodjia looked out of his depth in The Championship to me last season, he looked finished to me, we can’t be relying on him in the Premier League

So you have gone from "he looked finished" to "he was ok". Debate this a bit more and you'll be saying he was good.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the main issue people have with Webster is the stupid 30 million fee being banded about by Twatter.  30 million for a Championship defender with one good season under his belt is ridiculous, even if he was arguably the best CB in the league last season.  I think we'll end up paying ~18 Million with some generous add-ons which may rise the fee to ~24 Million in the future.  Personally, I really really really rate Webster and think he's going to be class.  I don't really care about the price we get him for, honestly, because he's a right-footed Mings.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Etheridge

Gulibert

Kamil Glik

Mings

Greg Taylor

Milivojevic

McGinn

Grealish

Chukuweze

Rondon

El Ghazi

Subs: Steer, Hause, Chester, Hourihane, Green, Wesley, Kodjia

That team would be top half I reckon so still got to get 2-3 key ones in before fully confident imo.

You think Wesley will be on the bench? I doubt we’ll £22m on a striker for him to sit on the bench, I’d take Rondon definitely 

Just think it's a risk if he's going to be our regular striker, Benteke was unbelievable pick up but many strikers have come from Belgium and Holland to premier league and really struggled.

He's only young aswell so very much still in development stage of his career.

Everton spent 27m on Cenk Tosun and he was mostly a sub for them last season. Leicester signed Iheanacho for 25m so plenty of clubs spend that in premier league and have them as back ups.