Racism Part two

Demitri_C

The commentary on Kyrgios the last few games have been a disgrace.

Yes, he's a dick, but it was open mockery. In a match where the other guy lost it and hit a ball into the crowd and tried to hit his opponent three times.

It's fascinating to me that there's billions of dollars in skin whitening cream, suntan lotion, tanning beds, hair straighteners, hair curlers, wigs, extensions, eyelid surgery and lip fillers, all sold to people trying to look like another ethnicity. Much less money to be made off of self-acceptance than self-hatred.

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's fascinating to me that there's billions of dollars in skin whitening cream, suntan lotion, tanning beds, hair straighteners, hair curlers, wigs, extensions, eyelid surgery and lip fillers, all sold to people trying to look like another ethnicity. Much less money to be made off of self-acceptance than self-hatred.

I don’t think people with a suntan are trying to look like a different ethnicity

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don’t think people with a suntan are trying to look like a different ethnicity

spacer.png

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

What aload of b*****s. When people start thinking like this, it doesn't help.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

What aload of b*****s. When people start thinking like this, it doesn't help.

Do you really think that these multi billion dollar industries don't use psychological manipulation to market and sell their products? It's fundamental to most if not all marketing. You make someone feel bad about what they don't have and then you sell it to them. 

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Do you really think that these multi billion dollar industries don't use psychological manipulation to market and sell their products? It's fundamental to most if not all marketing. You make someone feel bad about what they don't have and then you sell it to them. 

Ofcourse they do, I understand that. But it's not to change ethnicity.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The point is to attempt, through marketing and messaging, to make the consumer feel insecure about what they look like. "Too pale", "too dark", "hair too kinky", etc. 

Thought I'd ask this here rather than bog down the tory thread

After Genie asked the question and I said IMO no, rishi would not win a GE in the UK due to his ethnicity, I don't think the general public in the UK would do it, a black man maybe at a stretch but not an Asian, therefore the tories won't put him forward as leader 

Nothing to do with Rishi or the tories or any politics just pure racism 

Maybe Im being incredibly harsh on the voting public 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

After Genie asked the question and I said IMO no, rishi would not win a GE in the UK due to his ethnicity, I don't think the general public in the UK would do it, a black man maybe at a stretch but not an Asian, therefore the tories won't put him forward as leader 

I think Rishi will be judged on his covid fines, his wife's connections to Putin, his obvious high finance flaws and the fact that he's been in BoJo's government, before he's judged for his skin colour tbh. He'll probably be judged harder because of his skin colour though.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My estimate (based on my experience of living, working and following media and politics in the UK for the past 50+ years), is that there would be as high as 20% of the voting public relieved to be able to list his faults as a reason not to vote for a non-white candidate but as little as 5% who wouldn’t even vote for a ‘perfect’ non-white candidate. Anyone right minded would think those figures are obviously 20% and 5% too high but it’s possible the UK is ‘better’ than many other countries in that respect. The 20% figure is easily enough to convince Tory party members that Sunak won’t win them the next election, in my opinion.

On 05/07/2022 at 19:11, Vive_La_Villa said:

Very disappointing to see 

Racism at the cricket

I saw it on two separate occasions. 

Day 1 when the rain came in the Hollies Stand, I went to the toilet, HUGE queues, no room to move, I was getting shoved in the back by a tall Yorkshire bloke, he was yelling (to the Indian fans) "We're English, we don't like to queue and we won't!", and started shoving past them whilst the Indian fans around me are just patiently waiting, not saying boo to a goose.

Day 1, a guy from the black country, in his 50s.  Started drinking heavily as soon as he got there (was with his wife).  Typical short, heavily balding bloke with warts over his face and tanned glasses, huge shit tattoo on his calf with St.George with "I'm English, AND PROUD!" on it :lol: .  In the afternoon session, he'd must have drank 10+ pints (every time him or his wife came back to their seats, they had 2 more pints).  Loved singing "Please don't take me home" whenever it came on.. Kept fist bumping me and my dad when he thought he said something funny.  Anyway, the Indian supporters were walking up and down the Hollies playing drums and trumpets (Wonderwall was a fave of theirs) - everyone was loving it and were chanting "one more song" at them - apart from the guy in front, who had a face like thunder, shouting at his wife, sat next to him "I AY CLAPPIN' THEM.. I AY CLAPPIN' THEM!!".  

He got into an altercation with the (also drunk, but funny) guy sat next to his wife, so he asked him if he was taking the piss??? Then shortly after his wife got the hump with him, they left. 

Fancy getting absolutely blotto-ed out on your one and only big day out.. 

The Hollies used to have a rep for being fun, now it's just full of idiots who take any banter, way too far because they can't control themselves.   99% of the people were fine, but that 1% of thickos ruin it. 

• Like 3

On 05/07/2022 at 13:30, foreveryoung said:

It is generally claimed  that it was Coco Chanel who made being tanned fashionable back in the 1920s.

Before that, women used to try and keep their skin as white as possible because a sun tan was associated with peasants labouring in the outdoors.

Thorstein Veblen would have predicted the change as the sun tan gradually became associated with the leisured classes, who spent their time dossing in sunny climes.

All the evidence suggests that a tan is still associated with high status, despite its deleterious affect on the skin.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It is generally claimed  that it was Coco Chanel who made being tanned fashionable back in the 1920s.

Before that, women used to try and keep their skin as white as possible because a sun tan was associated with peasants labouring in the outdoors.

Thorstein Veblen would have predicted the change as the sun tan gradually became associated with the leisured classes, who spent their time dossing in sunny climes.

All the evidence suggests that a tan is still associated with high status, despite its deleterious affect on the skin.

I  would like to see the percentage of people who tan because they see it as high status??

People tan to feel better about themselves in the present. If we keep looking at history to justify racism we will never move on.

Tanning is just fashion. White people like to look darker because that's the fashion. I'm sure we'll get to a point, probably when skin cancer awareness grows even more, where it'll be fashionable to be as pale as possible

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Tanning is just fashion. White people like to look darker because that's the fashion. I'm sure we'll get to a point, probably when skin cancer awareness grows even more, where it'll be fashionable to be as pale as possible

This is already the case in Australia. For a lot of people having a big tan is not cool and being as pale as possible is. 

Â