Racism Part two

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

We're getting lost in words here - feels like classic messageboarding.

I read the initial quote as saying "he was a pro-Brexit activist who killed her in the name of Brexit [his cause]".

My understanding is that he did kill Jo Cox in the name of his cause, white supremacy, and also that he was (or likely to be) pro-Brexit.  It's a subtle distinction, but seems to be what we're caught up on.

I suspect you are right re wording  , but I think your interpretation only really stands up if you were arguing that Brexit was about white supremacy , which I don't think anyone is going to attempt to make that case  ..are they ?

Nothing came out in the trial that Brexit WAS his cause or that he was pro-Brexit  , though I agree its almost 100% certain he was ..  In the context of other discussions about movements and its aims being misrepresented  ,  I believe my point is a valid one  .. Though clearly others don't  

His "cause"  was that of a white nationalist anti-Semitic , and to paraphrase  Mr Self  , whilst every White nationalist and anti-Semite in the country pretty much probably voted for Brexit... that doesn't make him a pro-Brexit activist able to murder a sitting MP in the name of his cause.

Its emotive and I think when emotions run high people aren't seeing what's written on the screen in front of them , but what they think they are seeing  .. Nothing I've posted is excusing the murder or denying it was politically motivated .

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

@tonyh29ignoring the "activist" and "pro-brexit" aspects of the initial statement by whoever made it. You appear to agree it was a politically motivated assassination which really was the main crux of the statement in the first place, so can we just agree that we actually agree because this whole thing is burying itself in a silly semantic argument tbh, when the whole point was that political assassinations are perfectly possible, Jo Cox was just one example close to home

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I suspect you are right re wording  , but I think your interpretation only really stands up if you were arguing that Brexit was about white supremacy , which I don't think anyone is going to attempt to make that case  ..are they ?

Nothing came out in the trial that Brexit WAS his cause or that he was pro-Brexit  , though I agree its almost 100% certain he was ..  In the context of other discussions about movements and its aims being misrepresented  ,  I believe my point is a valid one  .. Though clearly others don't  

His "cause"  was that of a white nationalist anti-Semitic , and to paraphrase  Mr Self  , whilst every White nationalist and anti-Semite in the country pretty much probably voted for Brexit... that doesn't make him a pro-Brexit activist able to murder a sitting MP in the name of his cause.

Its emotive and I think when emotions run high people aren't seeing what's written on the screen in front of them , but what they think they are seeing  .. Nothing I've posted is excusing the murder or denying it was politically motivated .

We're saying the same thing here. Or at least I'm trying to say what you just did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

@tonyh29ignoring the "activist" and "pro-brexit" aspects of the initial statement by whoever made it. You appear to agree it was a politically motivated assassination which really was the main crux of the statement in the first place, so can we just agree that we actually agree because this whole thing is burying itself in a silly semantic argument tbh, when the whole point was that political assassinations are perfectly possible, Jo Cox was just one example close to home

Don't tell me you're anti-semantic too?!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

That fair enough(ish)

tbh it was only the responses my post received that meant it needed further addressing so I blame the others 😛

5 minutes ago, Graham t said:

No I retired at 60 and live comfortably off my pension thanks, what do you do?

VLD.

4 minutes ago, Graham t said:

P.S.

If you need any investment advice, then I'm you man,

keep smiling,

VLD.

We get it. You're a rich old bloke.

6 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Is it fair to think you and one or two others on here voted for Corbyn? That went well didn't it....🤡🤡🤡😐🤡

VLD.

I'd recommend searching posts by bickster with 'Corbyn' in them. You'll see it isn't fair to assume that. 

At least you can see the outcome was a shit show. Depressingly predictable the way this lot would go to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's not even like Jo Cox is the only example. A man is currently serving a life sentence for plotting to assassinate Rosie Cooper.

Group of Nazis arrested last month for a terrorist plot too.0

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Group of Nazis arrested last month for a terrorist plot too.0

Just been thinking about it. If we say a typical parliament is five years (obviously the last five years hasn't seen just one parliament, but it is the 'normal' length) then with one Labour MP assassinated and another the target of a very serious attempt, and an average of not much more than 200 Labour MPs, there has been around a 1% chance of Labour MPs being the victim of an assassination plot in this five year period.

That's before we get to Dawn Butler having to close her constituency office due to constant threats, or Owen Jones being assaulted by far right goons while on a night out, or or or.

• Like 1

Â