Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I am calm. Nobody in the back 5 covered themselves in glory today and I've no qualms with Mings atm. He's been a leader and much improved but his head was absolutely up his arse tonight.

Yeah, he wasn't "in it" at all. Right from the start until the last minute. I'm annoyed with him today, really am. He let his teammates down. He's not the only one, but he did.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Of all the things you could have levelled at him, you pick lazy?

Also who cares if he chews gum. 

Definitely lazy, his whole game is the laid back defender who's in control of everything. Problem is that he's not. So when it goes wrong it's panic stations where anything could happen, slips, own goals, dwelling on ball, passing straight to the opposition, etc. 90% of the time he looks like a rolls royce of a defender, pace, power, good in the air, not scared of getting physical, the problem is the other 10% where he has a complete brain melt. It happens all the time. 

Also I'm aware its caffeine gum he's chewing and I couldn't care less. It just doesn't look good when he's standing there with his arm in the air chewing gum while the opposition forward he is supposed to be marking is bearing down on goal.  

5 minutes ago, weedman said:

So Tyrone Mings slips after an unfortunate deflection of the ball and there's 3 pages of criticism for an awful performance, Konsa literally gifted Utd 2 direct chances from awful passing and trying to run out of defence and losing the ball and there's 1 post in his thread, and it's praising him.

This is why people jump to defend Mings and say some of the criticism he receives is unfair 

I'm a fan of Tyrone, but today he was gash. All our comedy defending came after he came on. 

6 minutes ago, weedman said:

So Tyrone Mings slips after an unfortunate deflection of the ball and there's 3 pages of criticism for an awful performance, Konsa literally gifted Utd 2 direct chances from awful passing and trying to run out of defence and losing the ball and there's 1 post in his thread, and it's praising him.

This is why people jump to defend Mings and say some of the criticism he receives is unfair 

Agreed, Konsa hasn't been great for a long time now but his thread is quiet. I assume that's because Mings attracts more attention due to being more outspoken, in the England squad(s) and more interactive on twitter.  

14 minutes ago, weedman said:

They were all terribly poor. Konsa was shocking too. But the clamour to defend Mings at all costs no matter what actually happens during the match is becoming nauseating. Please, for the love of god, drop the 'whataboutery' and just admit he had a poor game.

Edited by est1874

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Agreed, Konsa hasn't been great for a long time now but his thread is quiet. I assume that's because Mings attracts more attention due to being more outspoken, in the England squad(s) and more interactive on twitter.  

Konsa has been better (or less bad if you prefer) lately. Late last season and in the beginning of this he was absolutely hopeless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Its really just because lots of rival(and some of our own) fans think he’s absolute gash and many of our own fans become overly defensive of him in response. So each tyrone mings performance good or bad becomes fuel for both fans to rant about him wanting to go “I told you he was shit/good” to trying diminish his good performances/mistakes.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

They were all terribly poor. Konsa was shocking too. But the clamour to defend Mings at all costs no matter what actually happens during the match is becoming nauseating. Please, for the love of god, drop the 'whataboutery' and just admit he had a poor game.

I think he was pretty poor when he came on, nowhere near as bad as made out on here/twitter but that's par for the course these days. 

My point still stands, the reason people defend him is because the cririsism is over the top and he is judged to an insanely high standard compared to every other defender. 

Today he was poor, but he was still our 2nd best defender behind Young 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What was his mistake tonight?

Slipping

(Edit: obviously being flippant as that’s hardly his fault, but there was an element of the “it’s always Mings” about it)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Slipping

(Edit: obviously being flippant as that’s hardly his fault, but there was an element of the “it’s always Mings” about it)

Chambers seemed at least as culpable as Mings for that goal, though neither covered themselves in glory. I think our goalkeepers were the real problem. Tyrone's slip and crawl manoeuvre looked kind of sad and comical, but it did seem like he slipped. He also didn't seem as amped up as he is when he's playing well today. Gotta wonder whether the non-selection for England was a bit of a gut punch to his confidence?   

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Says the guy who only comes in here to criticize Mings. Problem is people conflate simple unfortunate incidents with bad play from him. Only real mistake he had today was not tracking McTominay regardless of what the GK was doing. Can’t fault him for throwing his body at the ball for the second one. If he didn’t everyone would be up in arms about he just stood there. So it comes across as a he can’t win situation. Other issue is people don’t have any sense of nuance. Was he at his greatest today? No, regardless of whatever reason. But some tend to put him on par with players like McGinn and Olsen who had truly shocking games today. And don’t even get me started on the absurd lazy tag I see in here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weedman said:

Because he is the main man and I was pleased to see him come on? Get the main man on, our best defender , a left sider and good balance is restored. I expect better from him. I thought he was terrible.

43 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm his biggest fan...and he wasn't good last night...there you go, happy?

trust me, its far more nauseating reading post after post of our own fans criticising one of our best players and inventing errors that he didn't make. it's not like he's pissed fans off and given a reason not to like him (i.e. lescott) so many of us do jump to his defence because frankly we don't get why he gets so much shit from our own fanbase. no other defender, or even any other player, has their performances analysed in such minute detail on here...3 pages for a 30 min cameo. so that's why there's whataboutery. we feel he's treated unfairly, we don't like it, and will keep defending him where we feel it's appropriate.

I think I'm looking for the same sense of balance but from the other side of this?

Check out the McGinn, Chambers, Konsa and obviously Olsen threads after the game yesterday. Plenty of very loud criticism. You'll struggle to find too many posts defending the players with much spirit. Cut to the Mings thread and it's a desperate firefight as usual, with his loyalists desperately pouring cold water over any criticism as per usual.

I'll say this, you've stepped out and admitted he wasn't good last night. All I'm asking is for a bit of balance. He was immense last weekend and I said as much here. Same v Brentford. I try to always call it as I see it. And then in here sometimes I see people actively avoiding doing that, which grates.

Crucified for a bad game when none of the back five really inspired. I'm sure he didn't feel that comfortable alongside the two Swedes, and I think we can forgive him for being a bit mentally out of it after being snubbed while worse players will be taken on the plane

I think only Young played decent of the defenders yesterday.

But JESUS CHRIST our other defenders dont make life easy for Mings, yes he has his flaws but what in the living world is Chambers doing? Mings have to cover 3 roles at once due to the level of Chambers and Augstinsson yesterday. 4 if you include Olsen (I am adament we would not concede any of those goals with Emi in goal).

To be clear, Mings was poor yesterday as well.

• Like 2

Â