Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

He's a very decent player and human being, and has been an excellent servant, representative and ambassador for the club. I think and hope he will see his career out here, I also hope we bring in better than him because that will be progress.

I would add that he is intelligent and measured, you dont always get that with sports people. Its no wonder he commands respect in the dressing room and club, and its no wonder that he prevailed vs Gerrard.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Is there a reason why non villa fans seem to hate the guy?

A few things in my opinion -

Outspoken about racism/taking the knee/ general societal issues. “Virtue signalling woke nonsense, innit.”

His mistakes receive extra attention as a result - “I see that gobshite Mings ****ed up again.”

Because good defensive play doesn’t create quite the same must watch YouTube compilation material, any good moments or games don’t receive as much attention. His detractors on here who watch games will typically acknowledge when he’s played well. Supporters from other clubs probably don’t watch all our games and so only see the highlights (or lowlights).

Some lingering bad feeling about stamping (fwiw, I felt and still feel both incidents were accidental, particularly the Reading one).

Kinda intangible this, but some players do seem to have fans against them from the outset. Owen Hargreaves had England fans jeering him when he was brought on for no particular reason. Certainly nothing that justified the reaction. Tom Cleverley had similar. Now those two weren’t outspoken, both were fairly inoffensive. But particularly when they were called up for international duty, there was a sort of “Why the **** are you here? Who the **** are you? Piss off.” vibe from supporters.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

A few things in my opinion -

Outspoken about racism/taking the knee/ general societal issues. “Virtue signalling woke nonsense, innit.”

His mistakes receive extra attention as a result - “I see that gobshite Mings ****ed up again.”

Because good defensive play doesn’t create quite the same must watch YouTube compilation material, any good moments or games don’t receive as much attention. His detractors on here who watch games will typically acknowledge when he’s played well. Supporters from other clubs probably don’t watch all our games and so only see the highlights (or lowlights).

Some lingering bad feeling about stamping (fwiw, I felt and still feel both incidents were accidental, particularly the Reading one).

Kinda intangible this, but some players do seem to have fans against them from the outset. Owen Hargreaves had England fans jeering him when he was brought on for no particular reason. Certainly nothing that justified the reaction. Tom Cleverley had similar. Now those two weren’t outspoken, both were fairly inoffensive. But particularly when they were called up for international duty, there was a sort of “Why the **** are you here? Who the **** are you? Piss off.” vibe from supporters.

Funnily enough when Utd fans froth over how much of a thug he is for that (which I also think was accidental btw), they forget to mention that Ibrahimovic just elbowed him in the head for no reason earlier in that game.

Whilst I agree with most of your post, I think the Ibrahimovic incident is where it basically all stems from, ever since Utd and Ibrahimovic fans, and to an extent other Top 6 fans, have tripped over themselves to declare that Mings is a talentless thug despite clearly never watching him play, and the sheer volume of those comments has steered public opinion, you hear he's a clearing in the woods enough times without seeing him play you end up just believing it.

• Like 2

On 18/11/2022 at 16:27, Pinebro said:

Is there a reason why non villa fans seem to hate the guy?

The two stamps didn't do him any favours. Whether you believe they were accidental or not, people do still hold them against him to this day.

I think there's also a weird hatred of all defenders English at the moment

If we opened a thread in other football dedicated to discussing english CBs it would make for grim reading, they're all shit according to everyone, I'm not sure anyone on all of VT would say anything even remotely positive about Harry Maguire

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If we opened a thread in other football dedicated to discussing english CBs it would make for grim reading, they're all shit according to everyone, I'm not sure anyone on all of VT would say anything even remotely positive about Harry Maguire

I think there is something in that. He’s not considered good enough to be an England international by rival fans (and by many of our own fans 😬) so people resent him for being there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Maguire makes costly mistakes in an England shirt and even worse for Manure, to the point he doesn't start for them. Yet Gaweth picks him no matter what, that is why he gets dog's abuse, not saying I agree with it but you can at least appreciate why.

Mings has never done anything wrong in an England shirt but as our talisman and previous captain he is a target of vitriol for other fans, especially when he pockets attacking players/fouls them a lot. 

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Stones in fairness has improved and seems to be City first choice. Tomori and Smalling have been in good form but Southgate wont bother looking in a country that breeds great defenders. Guehi looks OK and Konsa from 18 months back was as good as anybody in the squad

Southgate would probably rather call up Phil Jones for that United experience😝

Edited by Zatman

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Stones in fairness has improved and seems to be City first choice. Tomori and Smalling have been in good form but Southgate wont bother looking in a country that breeds great defenders. Guehi looks OK and Konsa from 18 months back was as good as anybody in the squad

Southgate would probably rather call up Phil Jones for that United experience😝

Now tell me what you think of maguire, dier and coady 😉

There is a weird competitiveness over English CBs because in reality none of them are that good but also over the last 4 years a lot of teams fans have made a claim that their CB should get a call up which then leads to a distorted opinion as to who is shit 

Crystal Palace fans don't watch mings but they still know he's shit and guehi is better

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Crystal Palace fans don't watch mings but they still know he's shit and guehi is better

Tbf, they see him twice a season and their overwhelming opinion is probably, why is this bloke so obsessed with Zaha?

• 3 weeks later...

I really want to like Mings but the way he needlessly came out for the first goal, leaving a hughe gap behind him is the reason people say he's crap.

Which he isn't, because he also offers great performances, but such silly, needless mistakes are the reason he's in Dubai and not in Doha.

On 18/11/2022 at 19:23, Mark Albrighton said:

On 18/11/2022 at 20:28, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Funnily enough when Utd fans froth over how much of a thug he is for that (which I also think was accidental btw), they forget to mention that Ibrahimovic just elbowed him in the head for no reason earlier in that game.

On 20/11/2022 at 15:17, Tom13 said:

And fwiw I believe they were accidental. But it is a fact that people hold them against him.

Haven't been in this thread for a while (obviously), but there is no way that Man Utd stamp on Ibrahimovic was accidental :D  He knew exactly what he was doing and saw the opportunity.  From memory, Ibra threw Mings to the ground, then elbowed him in the head and then tried to stamp on him immediately before Mings caught his head (wasn't a full stamp, but that was the intent I guess)... and then Ibra elbowed him again.

All happened in sod all time, too!

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Haven't been in this thread for a while (obviously), but there is no way that Man Utd stamp on Ibrahimovic was accidental :D  He knew exactly what he was doing and saw the opportunity.  From memory, Ibra threw Mings to the ground, then elbowed him in the head and then tried to stamp on him immediately before Mings caught his head (wasn't a full stamp, but that was the intent I guess)... and then Ibra elbowed him again.

I’ve just watched it back several times. I was unconvinced at the time of the incident, I remain unconvinced. I can’t find the clip in real time, which would be useful.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You may be right. Look just before the stamp though, Rooney knocks one of Mings' legs off balance, while Mings is watching play and trying desperately to get back.

Â