Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

On 16/09/2023 at 16:36, Zatman said:

Its funny, a lot of people had the idea for ages that Mings was replaceable and now they got there wish to see our defence without him

Like I said best English defender currently (before current injury). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom13 said:

No, Mings deleted everything and unfollowed everyone when he got injured.

Probably a smart move to be fair, social media is the worst thing for anyone’s mental health and mental well being, I’m sure he just wants to concentrate on things that bring him positivity in I’m sure one of the worst times in a footballers career. 

Hope he’s doing alright. He’d just become a member at my step dads golf club too, like a week before the Newcastle game was hoping to bump into him down there. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

That's telling. I think the reaction at the time and the silence after suggests his injury might be more serious than many of us realise...I. E. Wesley serious. 

I think it’s more that he and Buendia are dealing with it differently. Emi still wants to feel involved, Ty seems to want to avoid social media as he’s had a really important season ripped away from him and doesn’t want constant reminders. I’d be like Mings if it happened to me. Hopefully they’re both coping  equally well.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2023 at 00:36, VillaChris said:

A massive miss as we all feared.

Just nothing we can do given he won't have any chance of playing until perhaps in six months so hopefully Pau can start imposing himself much more on prem forwards and him and Konsa can get a good understanding going.

Can you imagine the earful Mings would've given Chambers for that second goal if he'd been on the pitch. That's what we're missing, someone to simply bark to an RB to get back into position as soon as we lose the ball.

Flicked on to skysports news yesterday and Howe was been interviewed, and they interspersed that with a clip of Newcastle's opening goal against us - you can see after it goes in Mings turns around and gives Kamara a bollocking for lazily not tracking his runner.

Didn't help much that game (and Kamara hasn't learnt from it because his awareness and tracking has been pretty poor all season), but i have thought our defensive line has been much worse this season without Mings. Cash is a big culprit for being out of line (which is bad given he is looking all the way across the line from fullback), and we've had a few goals against where 3 players are dropping but one steps up (Liverpools 2nd against us a good example, Pau steps up, Digne goes with the runner = huge gap behind and onside). End of last season it was great - the Spurs game at home where we caught them offside constantly was textbook.

Pau is clearly the leader already when we have the ball, he's constantly directing everyone around. However off the ball it's harder given he's new to the country and league and its split second decisions and instructions you have to make when out of possession and trying to organise.

I've given up hope of Konsa ever stepping up in that role, even though he's been here ages and is now our most Premier League experienced CB. He just hasn't got it in him, too passive by nature - see his constant backing off for Legia's 3rd goal on Thursday. I reckon if Mings is on the pitch he'd have been shouting at him to engage and stop the guy getting near the box.

Edited by andym
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, andym said:

I've given up hope of Konsa ever stepping up in that role, even though he's been here ages and is now our most Premier League experienced CB. He just hasn't got it in him, too passive by nature - see his constant backing off for Legia's 3rd goal on Thursday. I reckon if Mings is on the pitch he'd have been shouting at him to engage and stop the guy getting near the box.

“Passive by nature” ? Harsh in the extreme, he’s been crucial to our defense this year whether or not he comes across as a field general pointing and shouting, easy enough to cherry pick a moment to fit your narrative. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Great to see him and Emi B there tonight....hope his recovery is going well

yep, nice to see him...not seen him pictured since his injury and with his socials closed down i don't know if he's been there or not

• Thanks 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

yep, nice to see him...not seen him pictured since his injury and with his socials closed down i don't know if he's been there or not

I heard Emery say the injured players still come in and do things with the team.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Guy said he told him that he's out there for rehab and will be back training around July.

Good to see him smiling though!

July is really brutal. I kinda hoped we’d see him again before the final few games of this season. Oh well, fingers crossed all goes well over the summer and he comes back stronger than ever for our Champions League campaign next season 😉

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Guess we kind of knew already but: 

Guy said he told him that he's out there for rehab and will be back training around July.

Good to see him smiling though!

Well the guy said 9 months, and then said he'd be able to train in July. ACL injury is on avg 9 months out from when injured so I assume Mings meant that, not 9 months from today which would be July

Â