Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

44 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Possibly, but it would have been a two on one with Mings chasing and Zaha with a full head of steam.

If Villa went into the dressing room at 1:1 the game would have unfolded differently. 

My point being in that situation what would you do? Your instinct seems to be let Zaha go and Mings' was hold on. 

Well yeah the dilemma defenders face every week. Not on a yellow, bring him down 100%. On a booking I’d have rather Mings let him go. But in the aftermath of a 3-0 win that as you say could have been 1-1 if he had let him go I’d say he made the right call in hindsight. But still AT THE TIME I think he should have let him go!

I think too many people are getting carried away with some posters who aren't convinced Ming's should be at the heart of the defence in the long term or those that question his future long term. I'm one of those who isn't convinced. Does that make me bad for having an opinion that opposes others?

Nobody to my knowledge is saying he's crap etc... Just that they believe there are better CBs out there. He's had a very decent season up to now and been excellent at times, but, in my opinion his decision making at times, when he has time on the ball is woeful. He can be lapsadaisical and clumsy.

Its easy to say he was hard done by today with the first yellow. However, he knew he was on a yellow when he got had in by Zaha. So hard done by.....nah. stupid yes. 

For what it's worth I really like him and have done since he arrived. However, I look at the first 11 and think of what needs improvement for us to go up another level. Imo at some point the defence as well as other positions will need strengthening and he as with one or two others may need replacing to get us to that level. I don't see anything wrong with having that opinion. 

Regardless of the first booking, for his second booking we were caught on the break by Palace and Mings was done by Zaha. Done by his movement and skill, and done by his play acting.

He's not the first and won't be the last. Yes, Zaha is annoying, but he's also a quality player. Palace are so much worse without him, the stats prove this. Along with Grealish, he's one of the most influential players outside of the top 6.

Try and be objective here; Mings is still in my opinion our finest centre half, but today he was out thought and outplayed by a top player. It happens to the best. Watkins gave Van Dijk a torrid time in a little game earlier this season. There's been many games where top defenders have been made to look poor by skillful attackers.

Saying this, I don't think he should have had the first booking personally. The ref had lost control and should have gone to var to check both Zaha and Mings for any violent conduct.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I think my confusion with the criticism here is his head didn’t “go” today - he got a first booking for nothing and then a stupid second booking but one defenders get all the time. It was stupid but it’s not like he got the red mist or something. But some people are talking like he took a swing at the guy.

Yeah I understand that his head seems to have gone at times but this wasn’t one of those games. He wasn’t having a great game but his first yellow card is for nothing at all. He’s been booked for Zaha trying to attack him. On a side note I have no idea why these silly scuffles need the ref to just guess and hand out yellow cards at random when there’s VAR there.

His second yellow is a bit silly but at the same time he’s been fouled before he commits the foul. Also I think there’s a pretty good chance that palace score if he doesn’t commit the foul. In hindsight an equaliser may have hurt us more than going down to ten men.

Some of the criticism of Mings is completely over the top on here. People claiming he makes a big mistake every game despite us having the best defensive record in the league and a run of four consecutive clean sheets with Mings in the starting lineup is just strange.

He’s had a bad game today and been bailed out by his teammates. He’s fronted up and admitted this and it’s one to learn from. He might have to earn his place back when fit but I don’t doubt that he will as I’d be fairly confident in saying he’s a better player than Hause based on previous performances (albeit Hause has been outstanding in his short spell in the side this season). 

• Like 1

I saw some comments in the match thread about Mings ‘stamping’ on Zaha. That 100% didn’t even remotely happen and I’ve got no idea what those people have seen. 

Looked casual to me from the off today, it also grinds on me when players chew gum during a match but that’s a minor and personal gripe. As I’ve read in other places, the game on Monday could be pivotal in whether or not Mings ends up with a spell out of the side now, Hause can easily replace him without upsetting the balance of the setup (being left footed) and if he carries on playing well and we keep looking solid Smith may be reluctant to change it back.

• Like 1

Gotta apologize to @rodders0223, on further viewing that does actually look like a stamp.

Still wasn't a yellow though as I'm 100% certain the ref didn't catch that ajd was actually booking him for the fracas, where he didn't do anything but hold off Zaha.

Edited by Keyblade

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I watched the first yellow several times over and can't see that Mings did anything wrong. Zaha overreaction was outrageous and should've been sent off

Zaha takes a swing, Mings hilariously holds him off with one arm then Zaha pulls the move when your bigger brother has you completely strapped up and you need your mom to come save you. 

Throwing your head around, yelling, falling to the floor. Sh*t was embarrassing. I'm very happy we won so we can laugh at this seasons later. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched the footage again Mings did catch him but he went for the ball and completely missed it but got it on the second attempt. However Zaha should have been sent off. If you watch closely he swings his right but because Mings has him at arms length he totally missed and ends up being rag dolled to.the floor. 

Just now, Kingman said:

Would happily swap him for Connor Coady 

No thanks. Coady short in many areas.

Mings is good enough for where we are, and probably where we're heading inside the next year, he just thinks he's John Terry.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Gotta apologize to @rodders0223, on further viewing that does actually look like a stamp.

Stamping the grass because he hurdled McGinn and was trying to stay upright. Zaha has fallen away and Mings doesn't make contact but maybe Zaha saw Mings feet land and construed it wrongly as attempted stamp on him?

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Stamping the grass because he hurdled McGinn and was trying to stay upright. Zaha has fallen away and Mings doesn't make contact but maybe Zaha saw Mings feet land and construed it wrongly as attempted stamp on him?

I can't speak on if it was intentional or not, but it did not look natural. He didn't plant his foot straight down but kind of went off to the side where Zaha was. 

The only saving grace I can think of is he had his hands up straight away in apology which might indicate it was accidental. I initially thought he was trying to do that trap of the ball with the studs that he does but the ball was nowhere near.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can't speak on if it was intentional or not, but it did not look natural. He didn't plant his foot straight down but kind of went off to the side where Zaha was. 

The only saving grace I can think of is he had his hands up straight away in apology which might indicate it was accidental. I initially thought he was trying to do that trap of the ball with the studs that he does but the ball was nowhere near.

I think he was trying to plant his feet fast and not on McGinn who he basically straddling either side after he landed. I think he might have slightly nicked the back of Zaha leg and that's why Zaha took offence 

Whatever peoples opinions on the sending off we are much weaker without him he's just made the next two games even harder than they should be. We'll miss his defensive and leadership skills hugely in what are going to be tough games!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No thanks. Coady short in many areas.

Mings is good enough for where we are, and probably where we're heading inside the next year, he just thinks he's John Terry.

Coady hasn’t kept a clean sheet since October... Mings has kept more in the last fortnight than Wolves have all season even if we don’t count today with his red. Coady has been found out - I assumed the post you are replying to was a joke!

47 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Watched the footage again Mings did catch him but he went for the ball and completely missed it but got it on the second attempt. However Zaha should have been sent off. If you watch closely he swings his right but because Mings has him at arms length he totally missed and ends up being rag dolled to.the floor. 

What time stamp is the initial yellow? Want to have another look.

Â