Villa Park Atmosphere

wilko154

12 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I never got the “ Give me summat to cheer and sing about”. Your team is your team whether you’re shit, average or good. It’s counter productive to go to a game and moan, boo, and just get on the players backs. Better off not going. 

Agree with this. It's not like you can change your team is it? The way I see it is you are in this until you get out of this world so you might as well enjoy it.  I watched a documentary on Atletico Madrid the other day and the incredible bond between the fans which then transmits to the players as well. It's an incredible unity of passion.

At the heart of it is defiance - something that is embodied by Diego Simeone - that if you fall, you get back up again. Together. 

• Like 3

On 28/01/2019 at 08:55, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think the core of it is pure frustration.

I would also say that fans witnessing the same things happening week in week out in our current situation don't help.

I.e players playing sidewards instead of forwards, players looking laclustre when pulling on the shirt, substitutions that are made. I'd say it's a combination of many things imo that snowball into one massive one.

As for scapegoats, currently Hourihane which makes a change from it being Nyland or Hutton. The minute Tammy hits a dry patch he will be next possibly.

In the world of small mindedness driven by social media etc. Then it's obviously spilling over and into Villa park.

For many people it is a shock what they are currently witnessing and maybe not used to it or can't handle the transition period we are in.

I do agree though that some of the shite brandished is ott at times. Wether that's on forums, social media or in Villa Park. Players pick up in this, but that is also not solely the reason of course. Expectation has always been one of our downfalls.

That's my take on as to possibly why.

That for me is the biggest indictment of all....I have seen it with Bruce and now Smith.

I have seen the individual improvement that Jack managed after his injury, so I know its doable.....He is just about the only player that has tangibly improved in front of our eyes in the whole squad.

I see the same errors week in week out under both managers....but why oh why oh why do they ( the player and the club) not be appearing to work on their game.....some of them should be working on their own game in the afternoon, when the general training is over.

Some of them should be identifying their own errors and volunteering for help, it needs more openness and honesty.....its this silence and same old, that is killing the fans.....We all think they don't give a toss....when in fact they probably do....this rabbits caught in the headlights needs to cease....silence is not always golden.

I am all for giving a manager time....but if I am honest, I don't see where its all going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didiersix said:

Agree with this. It's not like you can change your team is it? The way I see it is you are in this until you get out of this world so you might as well enjoy it.  I watched a documentary on Atletico Madrid the other day and the incredible bond between the fans which then transmits to the players as well. It's an incredible unity of passion.

At the heart of it is defiance - something that is embodied by Diego Simeone - that if you fall, you get back up again. Together. 

do you not think that is maybe what the fans want to see?

I see at times a bunch who are full of melancholy and self pity( not all our players of course).....it doesn't resonate well with passionate fans...week in week out.

I think Villa fans like any other club have their element where tolerance is not their top subject.....but overall they are magnificent.

Albion can only dream of those gates.

We take c 5,000 away in drizzling rain and snow, with little hope of winning.....we take 30,000 odd thousand to 2 Wembley finals and the players don't turn up.

I have been privileged to see players, too many to mention....who have a clear expression of defiance etched on their faces during a game, that gives any fan a sense of a willing horse.

People like Andy Lochead, Eamonn Deacy, Steve McMahon, Andy Gray.....hearts of Lions.

All I see now...is a team half full of meal tickets.....Those guys above would be running around Sutton Coldfield until they dropped, to attempt to get their form back.

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

do you not think that is maybe what the fans want to see?

I see at times a bunch who are full of melancholy and self pity( not all our players of course).....it doesn't resonate well with passionate fans...week in week out.

I think Villa fans like any other club have their element where tolerance is not their top subject.....but overall they are magnificent.

Yes I do think it is what the fans want to see. With Atleti you know that they may not be the best side in the league but they will run through walls for their team, for their manager. 

If you see that kind of 'balls out' energy and commitment, how can you not be inspired as a fan? It forms a very special bond. 

Somehow we need to put a seed of this in Villa Park. 

For me, this is where the club also needs to step up - in terms of the messaging put out, I don't think it resonates particularly well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

Yes I do think it is what the fans want to see. With Atleti you know that they may not be the best side in the league but they will run through walls for their team, for their manager. 

If you see that kind of 'balls out' energy and commitment, how can you not be inspired as a fan? It forms a very special bond. 

Somehow we need to put a seed of this in Villa Park. 

For me, this is where the club also needs to step up - in terms of the messaging put out, I don't think it resonates particularly well. 

As many have mentioned there’s players in this side that do not have a future at the club and they know it. Whilst they are all professionals that will give their best at a subconscious level they maybe struggle to dig in deep when it’s really needed.  Our opposition always want it more than us.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As many have mentioned there’s players in this side that do not have a future at the club and they know it. Whilst they are all professionals that will give their best at a subconscious level they maybe struggle to dig in deep when it’s really needed.  Our opposition always want it more than us.

The way this squad was put together, composed of something like 75% players who know or strongly suspects they will not be here next season is staggering.

The biggest problem with the reputation that some of our fans are creating is that players considering moving to us aren't going to be thrilled or inspired to play in front of a group of people who demand loyalty from but don't show it to the players. 

• Like 2

I think as an away manager you know that if you keep the crowd quiet for the first 20 minutes or so then there will be a change in atmosphere... not that that's too different to anywhere else.

But is the lack of energy felt more at a big stadium like Villa Park than elsewhere?

Alternatively the reverse can also be true - I wasn't there so can't say for certain but the atmosphere for the last few minutes of the Sheffield United game sounded amazing. That can't help but propel the players.

There's no doubting our passion - but could it be channelled better by the club as well as the players? 

• Like 1

I think for too long now bad apples have not for whatever reason been able to be removed.

We all know what happens when a player that shouldn't be in the team is left in....eventually it goes through the side and more and more suffer from a loss of form, it becomes endemic.

I know we are riddled with Injuries etc.....but for years now poor players have been played every game, its no wonder we are where we are.

When was the last player to be pulled, because he is not doing what the manager wants.....If they are left on, I have to accept they are doing what has been asked....why would I think any different.

On Saturday a young 17 year old was played....and I thought at last he has had enough.

This type of thing affects the crowd and its tolerance.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think for too long now bad apples have not for whatever reason been able to be removed.

I think the worst part id that they were identified and signed. Some of players we signed you can tell from far are negative influences and were still signed

One thing Smith said about Mings was they talked to people that worked with him before to find his character. So hopefully thats way going forward

• Like 1

Not sure about the argument that players on their way out will not be trying. If it was me I would be busting my arse to try and get a contract somewhere else, not trying to come across as some sulky kid.

32 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Any chance of that Brigada lot coming back? Or something similar starting up? Think that would help the atmosphere in the Lower Holte.

Doubt it, they got hounded out by moaners for having the audacity to try and get an atmosphere going.

• Like 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Doubt it, they got hounded out by moaners for having the audacity to try and get an atmosphere going.

The club management didn't help either, did they, from what I remember? Might be worth giving it another go with the new owners?

Think safe standing would massively help too if that were to come in any time soon.

The ONLY thing that will fix the problems is better results on the pitch.

The fans can not get on the pitch and play so it has to come from Dean Smith and the players.

I could go something like this.....

1.Players show commitment and small improvements to all round game but results are still bad =most fans will notice this and have some hope therefore a better atmosphere

2.The improved commitment and better performances mean slightly better results = even more fans notice the improvement and now fans have real hope and there is louder atmosphere with anticipation in the air.

3. Players are confident playing well and getting results - full houses,loud proud support and the kind of Nirvana that some fans in this thread think should be a given!

Please tell me how else this can happen?

• Like 2

Why does everything have to go forward at Villa Park? Literally from about the 5th minute it was just constant moaning of get it forward, does my head in. 

Forget build up everything has to go forward otherwise it's no good. We'll never see good football at Villa because fans won't have any patience. 

4 hours ago, smg said:

Not sure about the argument that players on their way out will not be trying. If it was me I would be busting my arse to try and get a contract somewhere else, not trying to come across as some sulky kid.

They already got their retirement contract off us 

Im definitely of the opinion it’s up to the players to raise the crowd, which then raises the players. Every game this season we start in good voice which soon takes off as nothing is happening. At that point you need a big tackle, or someone to go on a run, have a shot etc, he’ll even just press highly, it will all raise the crowd. Unfortunately, we don’t have anyone willing to take responsibility to drive forward.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Why does everything have to go forward at Villa Park? Literally from about the 5th minute it was just constant moaning of get it forward, does my head in. 

Forget build up everything has to go forward otherwise it's no good. We'll never see good football at Villa because fans won't have any patience. 

I was sat in front of a woman who had a genuine beard that spent the whole game screaming “FORWARD!“ down my ear hole like a royal marine barking orders at her troops. It was doing my head in. 

Edited by Bizzzle

Instead of making it hard for our own players, and creating an hostile moody atmosphere for our own players, wouldn’t it be better to create that for the opposition? Urging our team on, and getting on the backs of the opposition is what we need to do.  Easier said than done, but it’s there. 

Â