Villa Park Atmosphere

wilko154

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

The thing is, you would consider being 2-0 up as 'things going well', and yet the atmosphere was still fairly poor. There was a little bit of chanting after we went 2 up, but nothing like we've seen before while winning.

I know a few people can't be used as any kind of gauge, but some of the people sat by me on Saturday were still moaning at sideways and backwards passes while we were winning 2-0. 

I'd say our atmosphere is slightly worse than other clubs with large grounds in the country, at this moment in time.

The atmosphere didn’t seem great when we were 2-0 against Leeds also. Despite being a full house and against table toppers. It’s probably performance related but we’re not a ‘support em no matter what club’

Football fans are like any other cross section of the population in that there are loads of bell ends and often noisy with it.  I'm not sure there is any solution other than winning all the time but even then you won't please everyone.  It's the same no matter where you are on the football pyramid.

There's no atmosphere pre-match either.  You go to other grounds and the atmosphere is ramped right up before the team comes out onto the pitch.   We have nothing - even Hi - Ho Silver Lining barely got a response on Saturday - and how anyone can get hyped up by that crap awful screeching that we come out to is just beyond me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hev said:

There's no atmosphere pre-match either.  You go to other grounds and the atmosphere is ramped right up before the team comes out onto the pitch.   We have nothing - even Hi - Ho Silver Lining barely got a response on Saturday - and how anyone can get hyped up by that crap awful screeching that we come out to is just beyond me.

That sort of stuff always depends on what's at stake. V Boro in the playoff semi final the atmosphere pre, during and post match was brilliant, because it was a huge game. When teams play us it's a big game for them because of our history, because we're one of the biggest teams they're likely to be playing for a while at least, so their atmosphere will be ramped up. For us, we're used to playing the top PL teams, quite simply no one is as interested in Ipswich. It simply doesn't mean as much to us especially given our position in the league (mid table mediocrity), if we're within a few points of playoffs with a few games left the atmosphere will ramp up at the ground 

I feel like we've gone from having a toxic atmosphere to having no atmosphere.

I've moved from the Holte to the Doug Ellis this season though so that's probably why I think that. There's not as much moaning around me in the Doug Ellis, although that has increased it the last few months.

It's just gone really quiet recently. 3 or 4 games in a row I've heard the opposition fans singing "Is this a library?".

It's a two way street though, the players have got to give the fans something to sing and cheer about.

I think it’s a problem across a lot of the bigger stadiums. You have impatient fans and idiotic things said at all clubs. I’m positive it’s not just us.

The difference with us is that the clubs with the big stadiums have had something vaguely positive to sing about over the past ten years. The only club with a large ground who has had it consistently worse than us is Sunderland in my opinion.

It feels a bit deflated at the moment but I think that, in part, is because this club feels like it’s transitioning and there’s a bit of an uncertainty about where we stand as a club.

Some of plonkers behind me in K7 are making me consider relocating next season. 

It does bring some amusement though, every week me and my son play "rubbish Villa" bingo. 

It's an easy game, we simply both take a guess at how many times the guy behind shouts rubbish Villa. My Son won this week, as Ipswich are bottom of league and we both predicted a comfortable win he went with a conservative 23 to my 37. 

19 was Saturday's lucky number. 

9 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Villa park is extremely toxic, I do think that us fans have contributed to this clubs demise. I can't remember when our fans were content last? always seem to moan and find problems somewhere. And I get and enjoy discussing weaknesses and etc. But our fans go over the top. 

I'm no fan of Whelan, but he had a good game saturday, and people were still having goes at him, Tammy passed back to the keeper from midfield and got a round of applause, Whelan did the same and got booed. Dean Smith gets booed for taking of a youngster to protect him when the team is playing garbage, and fans have never even seen this youngster before, so have no idea how good or bad he is (O'Hare).  We cant play "anti-football" because fans don't like it, but no manager will be allowed to make Villa a good footballing side, because if it does not happen over night, they are the worst manager ever. We have to play direct lightening quick attacking football, but are not allowed to hoof it, and also not allowed to take a break, have to go 120% for 90 minutes, its unrealistic. 

I went to watch us agains small Heath, and was surprised that the entire stadium started moaning and booing after 20 mins because we were passing it around... we were just passing it around the back and fans got on the players backs. I can't blame players losing interest playing for the club, when the fans are so quick to attack them. 

People want us to pass the ball control the game, but the second we make 3 consecutive passes in our own half everyone goes **** mental. I hear regular cries of "get it forward" said without irony. I have no idea what "get it forward" actually means but hey.

Simple fact is a lot of football fans don't actually play the game at any level, even my most basic 5 a side level experience. They cannot comprehend that when you are under the cosh, chasing the ball or have been sprinting ( most I imagine do not even run in the spare time) you may be a little tired. You may want to take the sting out the game by keeping the ball for a little bit and retain your composure.
"PUSH OUT!!!"
"GET OUT!!!!!!"
"GET FORWARD"
"COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

No, don't pass it forward. Keep the **** ball.

They are a bunch of **** idiots. More than once I have considered if there is someway I can relocate to upper trinity and not be near them.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

People want us to pass the ball control the game, but the second we make 3 consecutive passes in our own half everyone goes **** mental. I hear regular cries of "get it forward" said without irony. I have no idea what "get it forward" actually means but hey.

Simple fact is a lot of football fans don't actually play the game at any level, even my most basic 5 a side level experience. They cannot comprehend that when you are under the cosh, chasing the ball or have been sprinting ( most I imagine do not even run in the spare time) you may be a little tired. You may want to take the sting out the game by keeping the ball for a little bit and retain your composure.
"PUSH OUT!!!"
"GET OUT!!!!!!"
"GET FORWARD"

They are a bunch of **** idiots. More than once I have considered if there is someway I can relocate to upper trinity and not be near them.

yeah unfortunately they'll be up there too, and every other ground in the country...but agree it's incredibly annoying. from the rounds of applause for a simple cross field pass to the cries of 'shoot' when a player is 40 yards from goal.

read in one of the secret footballer's books that this is the most annoying thing about being a footballer, that the fans think they know how to play the game better than players that make a living doing it every single day.

I think the main reason the atmosphere is somewhat stilted, even when we are winning, is because we have let so many points slip from winning positions this season. Consequently, we are all nervous even with a two-goal lead. 

There's a lot of reasons for it. The whole "the players should lift the fans" is the biggest load of sh** in the world and infuriates me whenever I hear it. It is not lack of effort from the vast majority, it is a confidence thing and has been for years. It's basic human psychology that people respond better to encouragement than criticism and is basically the entire reason that the term "home advantage" is a thing and exists. At Villa Park, we are creating home disadvantage, and it is getting worse.

There are many factors for the decline in our atmosphere but I blame primarily our lack of song repertoire and overly abusive fans (morons) getting away with it week-in-week-out. These people are the type that will moan about anything, and I don't care if they pay money, they are, collectively-speaking, a far bigger hindrance to our club more than any individual player.

Also, "loads of other clubs are like it" is not a valid excuse. That is why teams go and die in League One or get stuck in the Championship for ages. Just wish people would own the responsibility of supporting the team and actually do it, instead of just blaming everyone else. It's your team, help it.

• Like 3

Agree that our lack of song repetoire doesn’t help

If the players show confidence it will give the fans confidence and belief in the team. The players need to show that they are up for it, too many players aren’t doing that imo.

Abraham, McGinn, Hutton even Jedinak when he came on have that confidence (if not always the ability)...too many others go missing

I like Hourihane but that is why certain fans turn on him like Taylor because they go missing or don’t inspire confidence

Elmo has totally gone as u could see when he cam on

The PA announcer gets on my nerves as well though

Why does he have to tell us the score at half and full time????

The lion thing with the heartbeat before the teams come out is annoying and the ‘be part of the pride’ is so cheesy

Anyway, I’ll save the rest of my angst for the next home game....

UTV!

On 28/01/2019 at 14:02, Wainy316 said:

I do admire the German and general European way of going to make as much noise and bounce no matter what.

The day out seems about creating an atmosphere and the result is just a nice bonus if it goes your way.

Aye but I bet they don't fight through traffic to get there then fight for a parking spot somewhere, perhaps ending up paying some tw@t £5 to not steal or scratch your car, to then go and use your £35+ ticket to be herded into the ground where you pay £4 for a bottle of piss which is supposed to be lager to then have to sit down in your seat for 2 x 45 mins for fear of being thrown out by an over zealous steward. 

All in the while knowing that you have to fight through traffic to get back out again.

Losing a game makes all of that so much tougher. 

• Like 1

I think it's a cultural thing. Fans are beaten down from years of underachievement or disappointment. Come into games expecting the worst or if they start to gain confidence all it takes is one small error to fall back into the habit of getting on the players backs again. If confidence starts to build on the back of a few good results/performances, all it takes is one poor performance, an out of the blue slap in the face to the fan base and we fall back into the "here we go again" narrative. 

I think the only way to turn it around is performances on the pitch which is driven by the talent and culture of the staff and playing squad,. It's a lot easier said than done, but when it happens and you're riding a wave of momentum and ultimately achieve success, it's one special journey to be apart of and the longer it takes to get there the sweeter it is.

• Like 1

Disclaimer; Im a european Villa fan who visits Villa Park about once a season, and for the rest try to catch as many games online as I can. I understand those who put more money and time into supporting Villa have reasons to feel stronger about this, but I still think my point is valid. 

Every Villa fan is frustrated and angry over the decline of our football club over the last 10 years, almost culminating in complete disaster last summer. New owners and the eventual hiring of Smith made it feel like we've somewhat turned a corner, but the last couple of months made the light in the tunnel feel like another train, again. I hoped the new setup would get more patience considering Smiths Villa association, Terrys role last year ect, but people seem to turn just as quick this time around. (Based on whatever atmosphere I get from the streams and comments on here ect.) And I get it. We have all the reasons in the world to be pissed and fed up with lackluster play, poor effort, and just general poor decision making on all levels throughout the club. No one can argue this.

But now I think many Villa fans need to ask themselves, why do I follow this club? Why am I drawn back to Villa Park despite everything? Surely it is not the desire to feel shit and be angry all the time. (Unless you're a masochist of the purest sort) No, most of us want Villa to make us feel great, proud and united. And the frustration is high because the club has, except the odd performances, failed miserably at this for so long. But all the negativity is not helping anyone, not the players nor the club, and therefor especially not yourself. All the things you want Villa to make you feel, you can try to force it yourself. Imagine if the full support of Villa Park could be a motivator for players rather than always waiting for a great performances to give full support. The players wont always deserve it, neither do the club, but do it for yourself! Make the support of the team something to be proud about and united around, and  for sure going to games will be a much more enjoyable experience. Every Villa fan has all the right to be angry and frustrated, but it dosent mean its the right way to go.  

• Like 4

On 28/01/2019 at 19:59, rodders0223 said:

"PUSH OUT!!!"
"GET OUT!!!!!!"
"GET FORWARD"

This pretty much sums it up for me. You get people screaming to put a foot in when the opposition are passing it round the back 4 on the halfway line. 

For me personally I don't have any connection with the players on the pitch. If we go back to the days of Mellberg, Laursen, Young, Barry, Milner etc every player had their name chanted before the game, it of course helps when we are doing well. Since then Id say there's been very few players that have had a strong connection with the fans. Delph, Benteke, Vlaar, Weimann & Albrighton are the only ones that spring to mind. Out of this currently lot apart from Grealish & McGinn I wouldn't care if they sold everyone else.

On 29/01/2019 at 12:33, gilbertoAVFC said:

There's a lot of reasons for it. The whole "the players should lift the fans" is the biggest load of sh** in the world and infuriates me whenever I hear it. It is not lack of effort from the vast majority. 

There are many factors for the decline in our atmosphere but I blame primarily our lack of song repertoire and overly abusive fans (morons) getting away with it week-in-week-out. These people are the type that will moan about anything, and I don't care if they pay money, they are, collectively-speaking, a far bigger hindrance to our club more than any individual player.

To paragraph one it's not a load of shit. If your doing nothing with the ball for 45 minutes then the fans can't exactly be cheerful. Let's use Blose as an example we could have been two down it wasn't because eof lack of quality it was because we were absolutely shit up to that point. The fans got on at them then they got better as the game went on as they knew we expected better. 

Paragraph two. Every fan base has its morons that's a fact its no worse at villa than at most grounds. If they pay their money they can express their opinion I don't agree with it I think its pathetic but you can't stop it. What do you suggest we do ban our own fans for expressing their opinion right or wrong? 

Â