• Abraham
    • El Ghazi
    • sub. Elmohamady
    • sub. Jedinak
    • sub. Kodjia
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/01/19 at 23:59

Smith came in to Villa with a different game plan. He wanted to do what he was good at and outscore the opposition.

There's been a gradual slide from this positive position to a more negative mindset.

The subs today were an indication that he's lost confidence in the players to deliver, and they obviously realise that. The last five days in the transfer window have taken on enormous significance!

I didn’t see the game but just caught the highlights on sky. We had enough chances to be out of sight. 

Only conceded from a wonderful strike. I’ll take it. 

The worry is being caught out, again, by a long ball straight down the middle of the pitch. Someone has to be decisive and put their head on it. 

Only 4 points off the play off spots so all to play for. 

I know it wasn't the best we have played under Smith but we had 23 shots and 13 on target. Anyone quoting possession stats, all of it was in their own half.  

Agreed, Elmo looked poor when he came on. However, they never had a sniff in the last 10 minutes and extra time when Jedinak came on. It was the Villa dominating possession and killing the game. 

Better delivery from the wide players today and we could have had 5, plus their keeper played really well. They only really had two chances and scored a worldie goal.

It wasn't great, but it was OK and we were comfortable.

• Like 3

I think giving Smith stick is a but premature, I've come to think that our squad isn't particularly good and getting into the playoffs would be a good achievement for us, regardless of who is manager. 

We didn't hammer the worst team in the league, but we did beat them. With our confidence a bit battered after a few poor results and losing two if best players to injury, I think it will do us some good to 'win ugly'. 

I'll take it anyway. I'm optimistic that we are targeting players that suit what I believe to be the best strategy for us. I'n confident that Smith is the right manager to modernise Villa and having a 'dont panic' transfer strategy is what we need. 

I know it's not a popular idea and often is trotted out, but we truly are in a 'transitional' phase. Our recruitment and style of play have been behind the times for years. So I expect us to struggle at times, we have little competition outside the first 11. 

Anyway, it's nice to win again. 

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A special **** you very much to El Mohamady. I'd rather wear a condom made from stinging nettles than watch him jog around the pitch again, attempting to set up the opposition .

Where can you buy those condoms from ?

Asking for a friend 😉

• Haha 2

Taylor has been poor for a while. 

We are nervous, hopefully this will help. Their goal was a cracker, this won’t happen too often. We had plenty of chances so at least we are creating.

3pts.

We’ve has worse days. Onwards and upwards....

Not the worst performance I've seen but certainly not inspiring enough to look like we can go on a run from here.  Ipswich are a shockingly poor side and we still flapped at times, especially after they scored.

McGinn played well in the No.10 role and Tammy again worked hard and took his goals well.  We're still all at sea defensively, Chester needs rest to recover and Taylor/Hutton need replacing urgently.  Kalinic still concerns me but it's early days so only time will tell.

To sum the game up, we had a ref who managed to book an Ipswich player early on in the game which set the tone but then equally booked Kalinic for time wasting, even though he was waiting for the substitute to come on. That's the highlight for me, which explains how dull the football was overall.

Let's hope we get some talented defensive recruits in over the days ahead.

Smith nearly ballsed this one up with some more bizarre subs. This time instead of like for like bottle job subs he changed the shape to give Jedi some pitch time.

Ipswich are the worst team I've ever seen. If I was a manager of a crap team I'd play direct football to minimize danger. that lunatic lambert has his team passing the ball out of defence! they were so easy to play, just press them right on their 18 yard line.

as soon as they put on a big lump and started going long ball we started creaking.

The game should of been put to bed in the first half. We need Abraham to start taking his chances. If benteke was upfront for villa creating this many chances he would have had 40 goals by now.

chester was poor today and Taylor was shocking.

McGinn was McGinn 8 out of 10 normal shift for super John

hopefully KAlinic yellow card will be rescinded

Just to comment on each player

Kalinic - did fine, thought he could have got closer to their strike but only saw it once so can't deffo say. His kicking is dog dirt still.

Hutton was one of the better players, opened up space by side stepping and bringing it forwards through the game, one of our main attacking routes. Got hung out to dry by Elmos uselessness when he came on

Elphick- had a good game, decent in possession and didn't have much to do but did it well

Chester - some decent play andcsywpped out with the ball a few times but by God his passing was poor today

Taylor - not as bad as previous performances and tried to bring it forwards some times. Just isn't doing it though. But today he wasn't shocking

Whelan - did well as had the space, tired 2nd half 

Houraine - tidy ran around, broke up play, good free kicks and set pieces. He's normally a 7 out of 10 and was again today.

Mcginn - did great again, was annoyed with himself at a few of his shots which were weak or off target but a solid but busting performance

Adomah - more effort which isn't difficult, than his last few games. Still can't beat his man but through luck did 3 or 4 times when the ball bounced very kindly having been tackled. Linked up very well with Hutton which created several good chances. Missed him when he went off.

El ghazi - some decent play and the obligatory yellow card. But several chances to put in decent balls and didn't do much

Tammy - isolated a bit but held it up well good finish for both goals but he will be annoyed at 3 easyish finishes which he should have scored.

Elmo - ruined the teams formation and confidence did nothing good and when he did get in the box passed it straight to them. Very very poor today.

Kodja- did well holding it up and cutting inside, better than his last few games.

Their keeper made some decent saves we messed up several chances and the ref seemed to refuse to book any of their player for identical tackles our players got booked for.

Should have scored 4 or 5 today and u think that would have given them all a boost. The killer was Elmo coming on

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The main thing is that we got 3 points and over the game as a whole we were deserved winners.  Now we need to make some decent singings and go and stuff Reading next week.

There is an abundance of work to do to match this lot!

And I was there in the a Witton Rd end , great night.

• Like 1

Â