• Abraham
    • El Ghazi
    • sub. Elmohamady
    • sub. Jedinak
    • sub. Kodjia
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/01/19 at 23:59

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

Slightly annoying...ok, one way of putting it.

if their hitting the post had of gone in..  do you think the sky results reader would have said.....Villa 2 ipswich 2.....but Villa was the better side?

Not trying to quarrel.  Because of course the point you were making is right, but it’s also did feel good to be clearly the better side.  A very welcome change.  

7 hours ago, Nigel said:

A bad slump needs to be overcome by any means necessary. 3 points is 3 points.

Agreed, I thought the Hull drae was a turning point, now a scrappy tough win. Hopefully we slowly gather confidence and momentum.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Not trying to quarrel.  Because of course the point you were making is right, but it’s also did feel good to be clearly the better side.  A very welcome change.  

They were bottom of the table...so what exactly was you expecting, I'm not trying to quarrel either.

We had a much welcomed win, but there was so much evidence of poor play at times too, where we done our best to live up to our latest nickname....The "Desmonds"

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Am I the only one? I am sitting here feeling like we lost.  The performance today and the atmosphere in the stadium.... It was so disappointing it actually feels like we lost. 

I think it was the ability to make such hard work of what should have been a much easier victory....that's what makes it feel like a defeat.

but I would take 3 points all day long.....just not a game for gloating.

Edited by TRO

Overall, not too bad. Tammy was awesome, and so was McGinn. If only he could get his shots down. If any player deserves a goal, it is our McGinn.

For Ipswich, I thought their goalie and Sears had a good game. For all the work he had to do, he made some very good saves. As for Sears, that was quite a wonder strike that Kalinic couldn't do anything about. He worked his socks off for them.
Dishonourable mentions to Taylor and Elmo, who both play like they hate football. Elmo was right in front of goal, but instead of shooting, he back passes to an  Ipswich defender. He is so bad, I would play anyone or anything instead of him.

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Slightly annoying...ok, one way of putting it.

if their hitting the post had of gone in..  do you think the sky results reader would have said.....Villa 2 ipswich 2.....but Villa was the better side?

No? 

(As it happened, I believe it read Villa 2 Ipswich 1)

Edited by Michelsen

17 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The main thing is that we got 3 points and over the game as a whole we were deserved winners.  Now we need to make some decent singings and go and stuff Reading next week.

There is an abundance of work to do to match this lot!

Aye, in the Holte that night and a great win.

Just looked at the sides for that night and I think Villa had 7 English and 4 Scots ( including Hibby, Des Bremner),   Barcelona had 10 Spanish and 1 German............................how the game has changed!!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Negative energy from fans makes players play worse.Creative players avoid anything risky and defenders make more mistakes.

Yes the team are not playing as well as they could. but with toxic atmosphere promotion is impossible.

I though the fans were fine. It was a drab january mid table championship match. What did you expect? To get over 33,000 in is ridiculous, given we have been mostly useless for nearly a decade. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I though the fans were fine. It was a drab january mid table championship match. What did you expect? To get over 33,000 in is ridiculous, given we have been mostly useless for nearly a decade. 

Yes, I agree with this.

To put it into context Spus vs Southampton (played in the prem last month) had a smaller attendance than Villa vs Ipswich.

When you consider the dross we generally watch and have watched the support (number wise) is very impressive.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

Aye, in the Holte that night and a great win.

Me too. The dirtiest game I've ever seen. Barcelona then were a different beast to what they are now.

Yesterdays match is going to be the 5th highest attendance in England over the weekend, and 6th in Britain overall

Tbf, there aren't many weekends at all you can say that. Bit selective to pick a weekend for an early round of the FA cup!

Edited by Davkaus

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Crucially though, he got the big decisions right; ours was a penalty and theirs wasn't.

I agree there's wasn't. I've watched ours a few times but all from the same AVTV angle, and I still don't see that really. The ref obviously has a much better view so maybe there's more there than it looks like. If that's a penalty though, it should have been stopped a few seconds earlier for James Chester's brutal assault on their #5 :P 

Edited by Davkaus

3 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Concerning that these kind of people go to the matches (although not really a surprise):

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shocking-weapon-seized-aston-villa-15737848

Disappointed it wasn't something from the veg aisle. Remember kids, chives, not knives.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Me too. The dirtiest game I've ever seen. Barcelona then were a different beast to what they are now.

They certainly were and its only in the last few years have become part of the "beautiful game"

A notorious Hibs v Barcelona game  in the Fairs Cup in the early sixties where they tried to kick Hibs off the park, ended with the Barcelona players fighting first with the officials, knocking the ref to the ground and then with the Police when they came on to restore order. One of these was the European Footballer of the Year..................................cannot see Messi et al doing this in the modern game lol

• Like 1

Â