Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Not sure why people are getting all worked up about this. Ramsey is a good player and one I think should have been in the England senior squad rather than the under 21s given the likes of Gallagher and Henderson were called up but it's no secret we are looking for midfield reinforcements in the attacking areas and this news will only enhance the need to sign players here.

At present, assuming Moreno and Ramsey are both injured and missing, we would be looking at a starting 11 like the below against Newcastle on the opening day which is still a good side:

Martinez

Cash Torres Mings Digne

Kamara Tielemans 

McGinn Luiz Bailey

Watkins 

There are three players I think might be on the bench from that team above if we sign the players that I personally think we need: Cash, Bailey and probably McGinn (who has been brilliant under Emery but doesn't score enough goals to be playing in the attacking midfield positions). 

So, against Newcastle we will hopefully see three additional signings to add to Tielemans and Torres:

Martinez

New Torres Mings Digne

Kamara Tielemans 

New Luiz New

Watkins

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Not sure why people are getting all worked up about this. Ramsey is a good player and one I think should have been in the England senior squad rather than the under 21s given the likes of Gallagher and Henderson were called up but it's no secret we are looking for midfield reinforcements in the attacking areas and this news will only enhance the need to sign players here.

At present, assuming Moreno and Ramsey are both injured and missing, we would be looking at a starting 11 like the below against Newcastle on the opening day which is still a good side:

Martinez

Cash Torres Mings Digne

Kamara Tielemans 

McGinn Luiz Bailey

Watkins 

There are three players I think might be on the bench from that team above if we sign the players that I personally think we need: Cash, Bailey and probably McGinn (who has been brilliant under Emery but doesn't score enough goals to be playing in the attacking midfield positions). 

So, against Newcastle we will hopefully see three additional signings to add to Tielemans and Torres:

Martinez

New Torres Mings Digne

Kamara Tielemans 

New Luiz New

Watkins

People keep putting Luiz ahead of Tielemans in team line ups. Tielemans had his worst season at Leicester last season playing 6. He's an 8. Luiz is a 6 in a double pivot with Kamara. Not going to change. 

Other than that I agree with the rest

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

People keep putting Luiz ahead of Tielemans in team line ups. Tielemans had his worst season at Leicester last season playing 6. He's an 8. Luiz is a 6 in a double pivot with Kamara. Not going to change. 

Other than that I agree with the rest

I think they both start but maybe Luiz further back and Tielemans further forward.

Anyway thanks man, good to know you think we need to strengthen in certain areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on formation, this could easily be an opportunity for Buendia or Bailey to play alongside Diaby in supporting Watkins and nail a starting spot down, giving them a proper incentive to play well. I like JJ a lot but we need a squad of everyone pushing for a starting spot, no guaranteed places. Obviously we'd all rather he wasn't injured, but trying to see the positives here.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's a blow. 

Ah only 4 PL games missed is not a huge blow. Especially at beginning of a season when we have fit and fresh squad. Tielemans, Coutinho or Buendia can easily play LM and perform very well

• Like 1

He'll be fresh legs in time for; Prem, ECL Group and League Cup congestion. He will be like a new signing and his absence should increase the competition amongst the incumbents.

• Like 2

Yeah if he HAD to break a metatarsal then it’s best to happen during preseason… plus metatarsal isn’t too bad as it’s a little easier to do cardio and resistance fitness work (unlike ankle or knee/ligament stuff)

Would prefer him to be available for every game but in a way the rest and break is probably beneficial ahead of a potentially bug run of games this season.

Big season for Jacob and he's already shown under Emery he has the potential to go up another level or two. Will become a very important player for us, if not already, can score goals is powerful and athletic and has great technical ability to carry the ball at speed. 

I think Ramsey will actually benefit from the "break".

He's played without a rest for months because of his U21's commitment and he needs decent rest and recuperation. It will set him up for an energetic return to a very good Villa team.

• Like 3

In a perverse way it might benefit him and us longer term. I was a little worried about him playing a full part for us last season and then having no real break with the tournament this summer, at least now he’ll be able to rest the other parts of his body reasonably well.

Â