• Kodjia
    • Abraham
    • Bolasie (Adomah 61)
    • El Ghazi (Kodjia 61)
    • Whelan (Hourihane 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/19 at 15:00

22 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

A much better performance today with 22 shots (double that of QPR) and an entertaing game.

Clearly we need to concede less if we're going to progress as a team but we have Taylor coming back, a new goalkeeper now available and hopefully we'll strengthen defensively in January.

All is not lost. UTV.

Only 5 on target though. That needs to be something they address in the post-mortem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nor do I. We should have won that.  It’s frustrating but it’s not a crisis. 

We must be in crisis. Delphino123 reckons we only have the 10th best squad in the league.

10 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

We must be in crisis. Delphino123 reckons we only have the 10th best squad in the league.

Come on now, I haven’t said that have I? 

I merely disagreed with your opinion that we have the best squad in the league. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Come on now, I haven’t said that have I? 

I merely disagreed with your opinion that we have the best squad in the league. 

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your 'We're 10th' comment in response to my request to name one better squad and I therefore concluded that you thought there were nine better squads than ours.

First 20 mins very good, pressed the ball, should have had a penalty, McGinn hits the bar we score QPR hanging on. After that we ran out of steam. Hourihane and McGinn ran out of steam, Bjarnason very poor. Kodja has no idea what to do when he doesn’t have the ball, child like almost. Hutton isolated and woefully out of position on a number of occasions when Kodja offered no additional protection. We really do need a defensive midfield player who can sprint and pass for 90 minutes. Here’s hoping.

35 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Most results have not hurt our cause, but another disappointing result. We are not getting any better

3 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

It was more of the same, when you need team players we have individuals and if grealish is missed so much it shows the folly of that so called squad.

Progress and regression come and go, sometimes subtly and gradually, at other times, evidently and exponentially.

Plateaus make up the most part of any endeavour where a skill or craft is concerned and football is no exception.

For example, Barcelona won't win their first game of the season 1-0 and then continue in cumulative form to win their 38th game 38-0.

There are just so many variables which makes it difficult to assess in a short amount of time how something is developing.

Despite the results being disappointing at times and there being obvious need for change if we want to occupy a promotion place. I think Smith deserves patience.

Why does Smith deserve patience?

He has come in an almost instantaneously transformed a side struggling to impose itself on games into a side that can match it with the best teams and even beat them.

The run of games we have endured since Smith took over have not been easy. We've basically played the teams which will or should occupy the top half of the table.

I'd even say credit to him, I think we look a proper side, compared to the team that started this campaign, we can at least have promotion aspirations now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your 'We're 10th' comment in response to my request to name one better squad and I therefore concluded that you thought there were nine better squads than ours.

The point I was making is that we’re 10th because we don’t have the best squad in the league. I think with Grealish fit we could push for 5th/6th but currently, with our defense, I don’t think we’re anywhere near having the best squad in the league.

Hopefully a few new defensive additions in January will see us make a late push for the Playoffs.

I just can’t agree with the opinion that we have the best squad in the league when we are so so poor defensively. I don’t think any of the teams above us would choose any of our defenders over what they currently have.

Maybe I’m wrong. Anyway, UTV.

• Like 1

Since our West Brom match QPR have beaten both Boro and Forest and were unbeaten in 4 coming to the match so they were always going to give us a game (they also beat us at their ground).

Over the balance of play I think we deserved to win today's game.

We're still well in the hunt for a play off place.

That was pants really. That's the first game I've been to since Smith took over, for one reason and another; I see little need to rush back. The only difference I can actually see between Bruce and Smith is that now we score more and concede more, the results don't seem to be much better (and are obviously much worse than this time last year). 4 games over Christmas, 5 points. That's abysmal. I'm not 'turning' or any of that nonsense, but I'm well past being impressed with 'it's all Bruce's fault' as an adequate explanation. 

I hope that Smith's team want good players, and get them over the January window, and if they don't, I hope they start taking seriously the possibility that if you concede at least two goals in nearly every single match, that it might be worth trying to alter the tactics slightly to protect the defenders. 

• Like 2

Next month will be crucial as well as needing players in ,were playing Wigan Hull Ipswich and Reading really need to be getting 10/12 pts out of that we will know after the transfer window and those games if we will be contenting or not  massive month coming up .

27 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Progress and regression come and go, sometimes subtly and gradually, at other times, evidently and exponentially.

Plateaus make up the most part of any endeavour where a skill or craft is concerned and football is no exception.

For example, Barcelona won't win their first game of the season 1-0 and then continue in cumulative form to win their 38th game 38-0.

There are just so many variables which makes it difficult to assess in a short amount of time how something is developing.

Despite the results being disappointing at times and there being obvious need for change if we want to occupy a promotion place. I think Smith deserves patience.

Why does Smith deserve patience?

He has come in an almost instantaneously transformed a side struggling to impose itself on games into a side that can match it with the best teams and even beat them.

The run of games we have endured since Smith took over have not been easy. We've basically played the teams which will or should occupy the top half of the table.

I'd even say credit to him, I think we look a proper side, compared to the team that started this campaign, we can at least have promotion aspirations now.

I agree with that.  Smith has done very well.  He has shaped the roster he had into a team that can play some really lovely stuff at times.  However, he clearly has much more to address that he has not yet done effectively.  If Hutton is following the instruction he receives then he is being given the wrong instructions.  If our midfield and CB are being told to let delayed runners proceed unimpeded, they are being badly coached.  If they are doing these things despite clear instruction to the contrary then they need to be benched even if it means an U-19 kid being given a chance.  (But it wouldn't have to be that drastic.)

Smith did well getting Steer and Elphick back into the fold and into the match.  There was not a whole lot of trouble with them being on the wrong page as others in the team or each other.  I'm anxious to see what he does in January to address the next three most obvious issues.  LB is weak.  Midfield is late to react to delayed runs.  We misplace far too many passes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Horrible time wasting cheating bastards.

But we look devoid of ideas. We need an injection of something this window, bit i am not sure what.

The amount of time wasting they did in the first half was bizzare, let alone the second. Particularly given that they were only drawing. Ruined the game. Found it odd considering they were above us in the league.

Was hardly a surprise to see 11 mins of injury time for their supposed injuries.

Abysmal  team performance rescued by a couple of good bits of individual skill. Midfield poor again today. Yet again points thrown away. Get back to 2-2 with over 20 minutes to play and we just end up hoofing into the box with no approach play- which resulted in the second. Baffling. If you are going to do that then bring Davis on.  Tammy is too good for this division- but say this quietly or our season will be over. 

I am fed up of reading Villa with 'entertaining draw' being mentioned. Give me 90 minutes of shite and a 1-0 win over that please.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The amount of time wasting they did in the first half was bizzare, let alone the second. Particularly given that they were only drawing. Ruined the game. Found it odd considering they were above us in the league.

Was hardly a surprise to see 11 mins of injury time for their supposed injuries.

I was surprised by all the time wasting as QPR are on a very decent run and obviously won at this ground last season.

If they'd been braved and pushed a few more men forward (or even actually attempted a cross in the box instead of running towards corner flag) they could've easily done a Leeds particularly with Eze (lad will be in premier league next season no danger) giving our defence all sorts of bother.

I predicted 2-2 pre match so no surprise. We are mediocre without Grealish influence, simple as that. Heaven forbid Tammy gets recalled....

• Like 1

Â