Racism in Football

Zatman

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

My girlfriend summed it up yesterday when she asked what the Y word is and then saying she’d never even heard it before:

I doubt I’d have heard it if it weren’t for Spurs, total storm in a teacup this one.

I'm not sure that whether your girlfriend has heard of it before is a great gauge of whether a word should be being used or not to be honest.

I kind of get the initial appropriation of the word by Spurs fans in response to regular anti-semitic abuse that they were getting. However I think there is definitely an argument that they shouldn't continue to refer to themselves using the Y word now that the club is no longer targeted for anti-semitic abuse on a regular basis.

If Jewish people are offended by the word being chanted repeatedly then I think its right that the issue is raised and not just written off as a "storm in a teacup".

As an aside I'd like them to stop doing it anyway as its pretty annoying every time they score a goal to get that standard reaction. Reminds me of the "Siu" reaction to Ronaldo, the Poznan and Albion's "Boing Boing". Standard goal responses like this are almost as annoying as goal music itself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I would have been 11 when he left Villa so it's not something I recall

He basically did a nazi salute at the Spurs fans.  I'd post the pic but it's probably considered a bit unsavoury to share, should be googleable though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

I'm not sure that whether your girlfriend has heard of it before is a great gauge of whether a word should be being used or not to be honest.

I kind of get the initial appropriation of the word by Spurs fans in response to regular anti-semitic abuse that they were getting. However I think there is definitely an argument that they shouldn't continue to refer to themselves using the Y word now that the club is no longer targeted for anti-semitic abuse on a regular basis.

If Jewish people are offended by the word being chanted repeatedly then I think its right that the issue is raised and not just written off as a "storm in a teacup".

As an aside I'd like them to stop doing it anyway as its pretty annoying every time they score a goal to get that standard reaction. Reminds me of the "Siu" reaction to Ronaldo, the Poznan and Albion's "Boing Boing". Standard goal responses like this are almost as annoying as goal music itself.

That’s all fair

35 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He basically did a nazi salute at the Spurs fans.  I'd post the pic but it's probably considered a bit unsavoury to share, should be googleable though.

I was about 8 or 9 at the time without any idea about and anything and I did it at the school yard the next day🙄

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

My mate at uni is Jewish and a Spurs fan.  Always referred to himself and them as Y words.  I never thought anything of it or got the link when I was 18.

He introduced me to a girl he knew who was always a Spurs fan and I said something like "Ah so you're a y word then".  Fair to say I established the link from the look she gave me.

The end of that post brought to mind another 'y word', 'yikes!'

19 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think Chelsea/West Ham fans have chanted some anti-Semitic stuff when they faced Spurs in the past.

A take on the Chas and Dave song 'Spurs are on the way to Wembley' regarding Hitler and the chambers. Was belted out of the Shed (when it was standing and the Chelsea main end) when I attended Chelsea Spurs game donkeys years ago. Spurs also belted out Y** Army constantly 

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

My mate at uni is Jewish and a Spurs fan.  Always referred to himself and them as Y words.  I never thought anything of it or got the link when I was 18.

He introduced me to a girl he knew who was always a Spurs fan and I said something like "Ah so you're a y word then".  Fair to say I established the link from the look she gave me.

Always nice to know how people met their wife 

Offence is a strange thing ... words gain magical powers to cause offence. The so-called offensive "y" word is derived from the language of Yiddish. If people started chanting "Jew" instead (same meaning) and meant it in offence, would we cancel the word Jew?

If people mean to cause offence they are being offensive; if not, then some are finding offence where there is none.

Today's episode of Sesame street was going to be sponsored by the letter N, but has been cancelled because some unacceptable words begin with the letter "N"

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Offence is a strange thing ... words gain magical powers to cause offence. The so-called offensive "y" word is derived from the language of Yiddish. If people started chanting "Jew" instead (same meaning) and meant it in offence, would we cancel the word Jew?

If people mean to cause offence they are being offensive; if not, then some are finding offence where there is none.

Today's episode of Sesame street was going to be sponsored by the letter N, but has been cancelled because some unacceptable words begin with the letter "N"

Context matters of course. The P word for example looks like it's just short for Pakistani, but obviously it's used derogatorily...hence the offence. You can't strip all historical context from a word and then say "well I wasn't trying to be offensive".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Pakistani, but obviously it's used derogatorily

By some people ... The word itself is not magical. I was just talking to an Australian, he was saying that in Australia the term Balts used to be used derogatorily. It is the correct term for people from the Baltics. No matter how much someone might refer to me as a Balt, I won't take offence. The fact they are trying to be offensive is their problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

By some people ... The word itself is not magical. I was just talking to an Australian, he was saying that in Australia the term Balts used to be used derogatorily. It is the correct term for people from the Baltics. No matter how much someone might refer to me as a Balt, I won't take offence. The fact they are trying to be offensive is their problem.

I can't speak about Australia, but with the P-word in Britain in particular, there's a lot of history and baggage that comes along with it. The word by itself obviously doesn't have any significance, but that's missing the forest for the trees. People aren't psychic. If a word is typically used derogatorily, unless the person uttering it has been living under a rock...chances are they are using it derogatorily, otherwise why even use it? To be an asshole?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It gets complicated when "people of colour" can use the n word to each other as a greeting, but no 'white' person can even breath the word. If it is deemed derogatory surely it should not be used in any context by anyone.

Something can be offensive if one person says it but not offensive if another person says it, context makes a difference. 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It gets complicated when "people of colour" can use the n word to each other as a greeting, but no 'white' person can even breath the word. If it is deemed derogatory surely it should not be used in any context by anyone.

I'm sure there's a bit of context that can shed some light on why this may be.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can't speak about Australia, but with the P-word in Britain in particular, there's a lot of history and baggage that comes along with it. The word by itself obviously doesn't have any significance, but that's missing the forest for the trees. People aren't psychic. If a word is typically used derogatorily, unless the person uttering it has been living under a rock...chances are they are using it derogatorily, otherwise why even use it? To be an asshole?

The ‘P-word’ being derogatory is pretty unique to the UK, because of its history. In Australia it’s more like the Pakistani equivalent of calling an Australian an ‘Aussie’ and I think in the US it actually means an off-license 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not the first time you've massively missed the mark in this thread.

Just now, LondonLax said:

The ‘P-word’ being derogatory is pretty unique to the UK, because of its history. In Australia it’s more like the Pakistani equivalent of calling an Australian an ‘Aussie’ and I think in the US it actually means an off-license 😁

I was referring more to Australia and the B word (first I've heard of it), but yes exactly, this is why context matters.

Â