Racism in Football

Zatman

• 3 weeks later...

New allegations against former ref David Elleray - he remains in very senior positions (chairing the FA referees’ committee and technical director at the International Football Association Board

A whistleblower came forward and accused the FA of covering up Elleray's racism - they deny it, of course.

At a referees conference at St George’s Park in 2014, Elleray asked a black former FA employee: “You look rather tanned” and “have you been down a coal mine?”.

• Sad 2

Jesus christ.

Am I right in thinking Uriah Rennie is the only non-white ref to ever make it to the PL? I can't even remember any BAME assistant refs at that level, though I have to admit it's not something I really look out for. With attitudes like that at the top, it makes me wonder.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

New allegations against former ref David Elleray - he remains in very senior positions (chairing the FA referees’ committee and technical director at the International Football Association Board

A whistleblower came forward and accused the FA of covering up Elleray's racism - they deny it, of course.

At a referees conference at St George’s Park in 2014, Elleray asked a black former FA employee: “You look rather tanned” and “have you been down a coal mine?”.

Pals, calm down, how can we jump to such conclusions?  Maybe the ref in question was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and also coal miners' hat?

Everyone so touchy these days.

On 17/12/2021 at 21:21, bobzy said:

Pals, calm down, how can we jump to such conclusions?  Maybe the ref in question was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and also coal miners' hat?

Everyone so touchy these days.

This forum is very 'woke' on race relations.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Spurs thread but since Spurs released a statement today asking fans to move on from their use of a derogatory word for people of a Jewish heritage it got me thinking if I’d ever heard antisemitism at the football.

Ive heard racism and homophobia at the football but never antisemitism.

Fwiw when I hear the spurs fans chanting that it does make me wince a bit. I mean, not all spurs fans are Jewish so there’s got to be a large portion of those singing it for whom it’s more about their perceived identity as a club rather than “reclaiming the word”. That’s just my opinion.

Frankly in my life I don’t think I’ve ever heard that word outside of a footballing/spurs context.

15 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Spurs thread but since Spurs released a statement today asking fans to move on from their use of a derogatory word for people of a Jewish heritage it got me thinking if I’d ever heard antisemitism at the football.

Ive heard racism and homophobia at the football but never antisemitism.

Fwiw when I hear the spurs fans chanting that it does make me wince a bit. I mean, not all spurs fans are Jewish so there’s got to be a large portion of those singing it for whom it’s more about their perceived identity as a club rather than “reclaiming the word”. That’s just my opinion.

Frankly in my life I don’t think I’ve ever heard that word outside of a footballing/spurs context.

I think Chelsea/West Ham fans have chanted some anti-Semitic stuff when they faced Spurs in the past.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think Chelsea/West Ham fans have chanted some anti-Semitic stuff when they faced Spurs in the past.

Think they should Chelsea rent boy back. Its all in the role of staying classy

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It must be so so bad. Sky couldn't even say the word today, it was "the Y word". Surely if it's used in context to a news story they can say it. Sky strikes again.

Not sure what the benefit to sky or anybody is in them publishing the word. We all know what it is. What’s the problem? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It must be so so bad. Sky couldn't even say the word today, it was "the Y word". Surely if it's used in context to a news story they can say it. Sky strikes again.

What a weird comment. It’s an offensive term that the Spurs statement avoided using. I imagine this will be why Sky and BBC and (I imagine) most other news outlets will have used the content of that statement.

On another note, I’m surprised there’s been no comment of the happenings at Morecambe vs Bolton the other day.  Morecambe fans delivering tons of abuse to the Bolton staff and bench directly in front of them, apparently also spitting at them and then it turned to racist abuse too. Eventually, in the 88th minute, the players were taken off. At that point, the game was 1-0 to Morecambe with Bolton down to 10 men. After a 10 min stoppage, Bolton scored a late equaliser and celebrated by giving the “shhhh” to that exact section of Morecambe fans. 

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Like any racial slur you don’t give it the oxygen of publicity. It’s why we say the N-word or P-word. It’s about educating people and normalising a discussion which doesn’t harm Jewish people. I’m sure a few years ago presenters probably said it, now at least, they know not to. I’d call that progress. 

My mate at uni is Jewish and a Spurs fan.  Always referred to himself and them as Y words.  I never thought anything of it or got the link when I was 18.

He introduced me to a girl he knew who was always a Spurs fan and I said something like "Ah so you're a y word then".  Fair to say I established the link from the look she gave me.

Here's a good explainer about the Y-word and Spurs

"We f---ing hate Tottenham and we hate Totten­ham." The spirit of hospitality extended to both home and away supporters hadn't spread to a gaggle of Sheffield United supporters as they spilled out of a popular pre-match venue before the League Cup semi-final in 2013.

https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/features/how-tottenham-became-the-jewish-football-team-1.53784

Â