Racism in Football

Zatman

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can't speak about Australia, but with the P-word in Britain in particular, there's a lot of history and baggage that comes along with it. The word by itself obviously doesn't have any significance, but that's missing the forest for the trees. People aren't psychic. If a word is typically used derogatorily, unless the person uttering it has been living under a rock...chances are they are using it derogatorily, otherwise why even use it? To be an asshole?

I can't help but think we give derogatory words power by being scared to use them. 

I am not denying these words have been used derogatorily, but we (most) have been conditioned to see them as negative. If we change our attitudes and see them as positive then the problem is much diminished.

Edited by fruitvilla

12 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I can't help but think we give derogatory words power by being scared to use them. 

I am not denying these words have been used derogatorily, but we (most) have been conditioned to see them as negative. If we change our attitudes and see them as positive then the problem is much diminished.

That would be ideal, except that these words are still used in that way. They're unfortunately not some relic of the past, relegated to history. There's no conditioning involved. There are plenty of Pakistani people in England who will tell you of there first hand experiences of being abused with what seems like an innocuous abbreviation on the face of it. Until that changes, only then can they go back to being "just a word". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

It gets complicated when "people of colour" can use the n word to each other as a greeting, but no 'white' person can even breath the word. If it is deemed derogatory surely it should not be used in any context by anyone.

feel free to say what you want, you word removed. I don’t mean that in a derogatory manner, I mean it as a term of endearment. 

10 minutes ago, a m ole said:

feel free to say what you want, you word removed. I don’t mean that in a derogatory manner, I mean it as a term of endearment. 

Well you could call a pal a word removed,  don't mean you mean it, depends in what context, yeah?

34 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I remember a prof at uni calling a Turkish student something derogatory, and the student went and complained to his supervisor. The prof had to go and apologize to the student. The prof apparently explained that "rocket polisher" can be used in camaraderie, but apologized anyway. And this was certainly true at the time. When the prof recounted this, having overheard the incident, I pointed out the prof had not called the student a rocket polisher but an arsehole. Let me point out this was not a racist comment on the prof's part. It was derogatory but sadly an accurate description.

edit

Interesting w-nker is unacceptable but arsehole is OK????

Edited by fruitvilla

33 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Interesting w-nker is unacceptable but arsehole is OK????

Part of the human body I guess, you penis shaped pussy cat.

edit - I guess my point was correct lol

Edited by ender4

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Taking the knee has changed nothing

I disagree

Especially during the build up to the euros I thought it was an eye opener to just how bad racism is in the UK, I think for a long time it's been ignored and thought of as us not having a problem, I thought we were OK, the reaction to the knee says otherwise to me

So does the lengths that some people will go to to swerve around their racism, the whole argument over the military and the NFL was some bollocks but we took it to another level with our distraction attempts - don't forget the real reason mings takes a knee is because he wants to defund the police 🙄

I no longer think that my previous way of thinking "at least we're better than elsewhere" is either true or good enough anyway 

This topic is about racism IN FOOTBALL, it's been cleaned after going WAY off topic and insults being hurled.

There is a topin off topic for general racism posts, keep this specifically about racism in football please and stop it with the playground name calling (For those that were doing that read the site guidelines

• 1 month later...

I don't know what an appropriate response is to Atletico fans throwing nazi salutes around, but reducing the capacity for a single game by 7.3% somehow feels almost worse than not acknowledging it at all.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear on Saturday how many Spurs fans were still using the word they’ve been asked by the club to stop chanting. Obviously not for me to say who should and shouldn’t use it but I was surprised by how much I heard it at Witton station after the game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't know what an appropriate response is to Atletico fans throwing nazi salutes around, but reducing the capacity for a single game by 7.3% somehow feels almost worse than not acknowledging it at all.

Don’t worry, they’re also being forced to unfurl a #saynotoracism banner which will really help and inspire all those racists to stop saying #yes to it.

2 hours ago, chappy said:

Interesting to hear on Saturday how many Spurs fans were still using the word they’ve been asked by the club to stop chanting. Obviously not for me to say who should and shouldn’t use it but I was surprised by how much I heard it at Witton station after the game.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the term they use for themselves, if they stop using it, it should be because the fans chose to, not because the club dictated what their fans do for the benefit of their branding and PR.

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the term they use for themselves, if they stop using it, it should be because the fans chose to, not because the club dictated what their fans do for the benefit of their branding and PR.

There are many things to get angry at modern football clubs for but I don’t really think this request is one of them

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chappy said:

There are many things to get angry at modern football clubs for but I don’t really think this request is one of them

I'm not angry about it, I just don't think the fans have any obligation to listen to the club.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not angry about it, I just don't think the fans have any obligation to listen to the club.

Don’t you think that fan behaviour at away games reflects on the club though? Whether they intend to be or not, the fans are an extension of the club’s brand on a matchday.

It’s tough, I don’t know how far the line goes in how responsible for fan behaviour a club is. One thing is for sure, attitudes aren’t going to be changed to any significant degree.

Part of me thinks clubs and authorities should be doing more, but also part of me thinks they are entirely powerless and unless wider society changes their efforts are almost completely fruitless.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Â