Racism in Football

Zatman

It’s interesting Mr Fox didn’t make the same or similar morality point about footballers when Ryan Giggs went to trial.

Or the allegations about an Everton player recently.

Or Joey Barton’s recent assault charge.

No, he chose this alleged crime from this footballer. Curious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Laurence Fox is actually making the same point as you, but in inverse. He's saying people who support taking the knee are keeping company with a literal rapist, and trying to tarnish the anti-racism movement by association - i.e. "who are you to moralise at me when you've got rapists in your ranks?"

It's a stupid argument, of course. But it's equally stupid in reverse. The existence of Laurence Fox doesn't invalidate the opinions of anyone disagreeing with taking the knee any more than the existence of Benjamin Mendy invalidates the views of anyone who agrees with it.

Literally every player (bar one I think) takes the knee. By this argument we're associated to a certain Everton player who can't be named too. Don't think even he's that moronic to make that argument.

What it actually looks like he's saying is that he's black, and this is who you're supporting when you kneel.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Literally every player (bar one I think) takes the knee. By this argument we're associated to a certain Everton player who can't be named too. Don't think even he's that moronic to make that argument.

What it actually looks like he's saying is that he's black, and this is who you're supporting when you kneel.

Yeah, I could believe that interpretation too. Although I don't think it's that far fetched to think that he just didn't care as much about the Everton player because that player happens to be white.

It's not a good look in either case.

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s interesting Mr Fox didn’t make the same or similar morality point about footballers when Ryan Giggs went to trial.

Or the allegations about an Everton player recently.

Or Joey Barton’s recent assault charge.

No, he chose this alleged crime from this footballer. Curious.

Or Adam Johnson who was actually guilty..

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Hopefully will serve as a deterrent to others 

4 weeks doesn't sound a lot but it'll be the worst 4 weeks of his life

Boing boing!

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wow they’ve made a real example of this guy following one tweet.

Hopefully they continue to punish people the same way. 

He didn’t just post one tweet though (if that wasn’t enough). It was three -

Opening the case at the earlier hearing, prosecutor Simon Brownsey said his case was that the message posted by Silwood to a West Bromwich Albion Fan Zone Facebook group "was intentionally posted and was blatant racism towards black professional footballer Mr Romaine Sawyers".

"Three posts were placed on that thread," the prosecutor said. "The first one said 'b*****d'. The second was 'white lives matter when you try and watch'.

"The third post, from Mr Silwood, said 'Baboon dor'."

Prior to sentence, Mr Brownsey submitted the offence was a "grossly offensive racial hate crime" which had impacted on all black professional footballers and wider society, putting it into a higher category of harm caused.

39 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

He didn’t just post one tweet though (if that wasn’t enough). It was three -

Opening the case at the earlier hearing, prosecutor Simon Brownsey said his case was that the message posted by Silwood to a West Bromwich Albion Fan Zone Facebook group "was intentionally posted and was blatant racism towards black professional footballer Mr Romaine Sawyers".

"Three posts were placed on that thread," the prosecutor said. "The first one said 'b*****d'. The second was 'white lives matter when you try and watch'.

"The third post, from Mr Silwood, said 'Baboon dor'."

Prior to sentence, Mr Brownsey submitted the offence was a "grossly offensive racial hate crime" which had impacted on all black professional footballers and wider society, putting it into a higher category of harm caused.

I read that as 2 other people posted the other 2 tweets and he posted the third. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wow they’ve made a real example of this guy following one tweet.

Hopefully they continue to punish people the same way. 

It amazes me that it was directed at one of his own players, not saying it’s okay to be directed at other players but would have been less of a shock, Then again he does follow the Albion

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think there's anything there to justify prison tbh. He sounds like an absolute peice of shit, but criminal? Outrageous, imo.

Different offense, in a different town, in a different court, but a bloke from my town was in court this week for battering a stranger when he drunkenly approached them for a lift home and they refused. He got a suspended sentence. Which one's a greater threat to society?

The judge in this case wants to make a name for themselves imo.

Who cares? A racist **** has been handed some jail time. It’s a win. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think there's anything there to justify prison tbh. He sounds like an absolute peice of shit, but criminal? Outrageous, imo.

Different offense, in a different town, in a different court, but a bloke from my town was in court this week for battering a stranger when he drunkenly approached them for a lift home and they refused. He got a suspended sentence. Which one's a greater threat to society?

I have to agree with this wooly liberal here :)

I will lose no sleep on a nasty racist being imprisoned but far more dangerous people don't get jailed. Like you say, you could kick someones head in and get a suspended sentence. You can get coked up, drunk and drive a 2 tonne metal box through the streets, while already having a plethora (thanks, its means a lot) of convictions and no insurance and you get sympathy from people and best wishes as you enter rehab. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Who cares? A racist **** has been handed some jail time. It’s a win. 

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this guy, it's just the inconsistency of sentencing that grinds my gears when far more dangerous people walk free. 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I see what you mean. He’s been made an example of to hopefully act as a deterrent to other keyboard warriors. Problem is it’s pretty easy to hide your identity online if you know how. 

This won’t really change anything.  

Â