Racism in Football

Zatman

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Isn't Poland the country that's a hotbed for Catholic white nationalists and has seen a surge in a far right party in recent years or am I confusing that with Hungary?

Think you are confusing with Hungary. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Isn't Poland the country that's a hotbed for Catholic white nationalists and has seen a surge in a far right party in recent years or am I confusing that with Hungary?

When it comes to football racism, it's not nearly as bad.

• Like 2

I think it's a bit poor to say 'Hungary is racist' or 'Poland is homophobic'. It's definitely not helping to solve the problem, and it definately adds to it. 

Wide, sweeping generalisations based on anecdotal evidence and 'eastern European' stereotypes.

Warsaw is probably the safest European capital to walk through at night. Little homeless problem, and LGBT posters everywhere.

I think that before we discuss how awful those places are, we should look back to our country where policemen kill people, the Euro final, the absolutely overwhelming racial hatred within warehouses and low skilled jobs. Didn't we all talk about how Brexit was driven by xenophobia and how Saka received abuse after the last penalty?

There is a problem, and it's a problem in every country. I'm glad that outspoken racist hatred is marginal. So let's not be so shallow to say 'Poland/Cech/Slovakia/Lithuania/*insert a small eastern country here*' is racist.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The ruling far-right PiS party are staunchly homophobic and pretty racist to boot. And also restrictive on abortion rights and rigging the judiciary and the media to make it more to their liking. There are big football hooligan problems - especially on the yearly nationalist marches in November. Some of the biggest neo-Nazi groups in Poland - like the ONR (Radical Camp) are deeply embedded in the mainstream and elements of football culture. Poland has a lot of awesome anti-fascist groups and movements too. Just the political situation, whilst not to the degree of Hungary is a problem. If you want news in English on Poland - Notes from Poland is very good. Also, you’ve got awesome anti-racist organisations like Never Again. 

• Thanks 2

Czech government are summoning the UK ambassador for an apology over the way the game has been reported in the UK. Government were pissed with how UEFA and Rangers handled the last situation 

Edited by Zatman

Things must have changed for the better then.I watched a documentary on TV about racism in football and it showed Polish supporters slinging off and abusing coloured supporters of their owne team.Mind you that documentary was a few years ago,so apoligies if needed

42 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Things must have changed for the better then.I watched a documentary on TV about racism in football and it showed Polish supporters slinging off and abusing coloured supporters of their owne team.Mind you that documentary was a few years ago,so apoligies if needed

Things are definitely getting better, although there still is a problem.

Things like documentaries are a bit, well, angled at a certain view. Of course if you watch a documentary where fans slag off black players that's gonna be disgusting. But in majority of stadiums that isn't a problem, or isn't as much of a problem as some claim it is. I watched tens of games live in Poland, and I have never seen an issue any more than I would have done in UK. Especially now where BBC has an article everyday about someone being abused one way or another.

But yeah, Poland does have an "ultras" culture thing going on associated with football firms. I guess much like France or Germany. But it's a marginal phenomenon, just like in those countries.

But to claim "Poland is racist" is a bit, well, simple.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't profess to have the answers, but the question has to be asked is the "call out racism" actually making it worse ? 

Are you just giving airtime to attention seeking morons ?

It’s not making it worse it’s just making it more prevalent because it’s outing the bastards.  

• Like 3

We should just be banning these repeat offending countries from fans attending matches (and maybe even the teams themselves participating) until they can demonstrate they’re sorting it out. The predictability of it is depressing and needless 

Â