Racism in Football

Zatman

Just now, paul514 said:

Do you think this is a problem?

I have no idea as you could write on a postage stamp my knowledge of women’s football but it seems to point to an issue

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

I have no idea as you could write on a postage stamp my knowledge of women’s football but it seems to point to an issue

I don't like women's football.

It isn't an issue however, it is an issue that some people think its an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Do you think this is a problem?

There might not be a problem per se but definitely worth asking the question and understanding why the women's game is so much less diverse than the men's 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

There might not be a problem per se but definitely worth asking the question and understanding why the women's game is so much less diverse than the men's 

All that matters is the best team is picked.

Unless anyone has any evidence of racism in them not being picked.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

There are some in the squad, Nikita Parris been warming the bench this tournament when she was a starter at last world cup so that's purely a selection decision. Historically you have Anita Asante with 71 caps, Rachel Yankey as one of England's greatest ever players and of course Eni Aluko aswell......her England career certainly didn't end well with accusations against the manager from 6-7 years ago.

Was going to post this without mentioned Alex Scott....

Reece James's sister was at Man. United doing well and Chelsea signed her last summer. Not sure how far down the England pecking order she is but she's a decent player and still young so will get chances in future tournaments. 

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

All that matters is the best team is picked.

Unless anyone has any evidence of racism in them not being picked.

it is. but they're simply asking the question as to why the best available 11 is entirely white and whether there are areas of the country that are lacking investment

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

it is. but they're simply asking the question as to why the best available 11 is entirely white and whether there are areas of the country that are lacking investment

I don't think they are asking that question when bringing this up though. As if anyone believes cities (where almost all brown people live) lack investment compared to non cities in sports facilities.

Edited by paul514

Just now, paul514 said:

I don't think they are asking that question when bringing this up though. As if anyone believes cities (where almost all brown people live) lack investment compared to non cities in sports facilities.

what do you think they're asking then? the article does go on to question whether scouting is focused on predominantly white regions

people read the headline but don't actually read the content...like they think that people want there to be some sort of quota that ensures that the team have X number of non white players or something...which isn't what anyone is saying

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Yep, it's not necessarily a case of assessing this team and asking who is missing and why but more it raising the question over opportunities at youth level and maybe even culturally - the scouting thing is interesting 

Could just be a pure coincidence 

But if it is an issue I'd doubt its an issue at first team level and the FA need to find a solution 

Edited by villa4europe

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

what do you think they're asking then? the article does go on to question whether scouting is focused on predominantly white regions

people read the headline but don't actually read the content...like they think that people want there to be some sort of quota that ensures that the team have X number of non white players or something...which isn't what anyone is saying

I think it's more race baiting in the media - as usual 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

I don't like women's football.

It isn't an issue however, it is an issue that some people think its an issue.

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I think it's more race baiting in the media - as usual 

No offence, but if you don't even like the sport it's hard to see why your opinion on how it is covered in the media matters. It seems like you have absolutely nothing at stake here.

• Like 1

There’s definitely an issue. In a diverse country such as the UK it is pretty much statistically impossible to have an all white line up based purely on footballing merit.

All you have to do is look at pretty much every single UK XI in the professional mens game as supporting evidence. 

6 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

There’s definitely an issue. In a diverse country such as the UK it is pretty much statistically impossible to have an all white line up based purely on footballing merit.

All you have to do is look at pretty much every single UK XI in the professional mens game as supporting evidence. 

Is it? Like 83ish% of the country is white. However most minorities are concentrated in major cities where the facilities are.

Also, 3% of the country's population is Black people while 6% are South Asian. Therefore should there should be twice as many South Asians playing at the top level than Black people? 

46 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Is it? Like 83ish% of the country is white. However most minorities are concentrated in major cities where the facilities are.

Also, 3% of the country's population is Black people while 6% are South Asian. Therefore should there should be twice as many South Asians playing at the top level than Black people? 

I’d be interested to see those stats split by class as well where I suspect, sadly, that the proportion of middle class people who are white is more like 90%. And by extension there are a larger proportion of working class people who are black/minority ethnic. That’s a reflection of the structural barriers that people of colour face.

I think the class issue is more the driver of why the womens game is so white. My sense is that the womens game is much more middle class in terms of players’ backgrounds so there’s a far larger proportion of white players. Whereas the mens game is a more working class sport and so there’s a disproportionate number of black/mixed race players. 

that said, the womens team being literally 100%white is still a bit odd

24 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I’d be interested to see those stats split by class as well where I suspect, sadly, that the proportion of middle class people who are white is more like 90%. And by extension there are a larger proportion of working class people who are black/minority ethnic. That’s a reflection of the structural barriers that people of colour face.

I think the class issue is more the driver of why the womens game is so white. My sense is that the womens game is much more middle class in terms of players’ backgrounds so there’s a far larger proportion of white players. Whereas the mens game is a more working class sport and so there’s a disproportionate number of black/mixed race players. 

I think you could well be right. As someone in my mid 30's girls who I knew played football 20 years ago were all the middle class ones and I doubt that's changed

7 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

My god people do talk some boll****s on here. There is really no issue!

Would the women's team have got to the final quicker, easier, if they included some brown players? The team is picked on merit that's it. 

The problem with the media, is they  look under every stone and convince people like you it's a bigger problem than it really is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My god people do talk some boll****s on here. There is really no issue!

Would the women's team have got to the final quicker, easier, if they included some brown players? The team is picked on merit that's it. 

The problem with the media, is they  look under every stone and convince people like you it's a bigger problem than it really is.

i dont know how many more times it needs explaining to people like you, but the team is picked on merit. the question is simply why the best available 11 is entirely white

if you don't think there's an issue, then why are you here? some of us think there is and want to have a discussion about it

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

That's rubbish. Nikita Paris, Jess Carter and Demi Stokes are part of that England squad, but not good enough to start. So obviously there are no English brown players good enough at the moment..

Stop trying to find racism when it just isn't there.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i dont know how many more times it needs explaining to people like you, but the team is picked on merit. the question is simply why the best available 11 is entirely white

if you don't think there's an issue, then why are you here? some of us think there is and want to have a discussion about it

Simply, because that's the best 11. There's no race issue to find??

Â