Racism in Football

Zatman

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's why I have a grudging respect for the open KKK types. At least you know where they stand.

kin 'ell (I guess you don't actually mean that bit).

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It's why I have a grudging respect for the open KKK types. At least you know where they stand.

That's a really really terrible sentence.

I know what you're getting at, but that's a big yikes

Respect was probably the wrong term. Basically what I'm trying to say is the sneaky, passive aggressive types that wear you down with plausible deniability games are somehow even more detestable than the unabashed racists.

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

We had a very similar problem in the Australian Football League (Aussie Rules) a few years ago with a great Aboriginal player by the name of Adam Goodes.

Goodes was a brilliant player, winning the league's best and fairest award twice. He was a prominent Indigenous Australian and was an activist against racism, and that came to a head when he was called an ape by a teenage girl sitting in the front row at a game. He pointed to the girl and she was removed. He then backed his stance in a very gracious and reasonable way publicly, stating that it was not a teenage girl's fault but a wider societal problem with racism. His activism (as well as other extensive community work) saw him named Australian of the Year.

However as time went on after the incident, people in the crowd started to boo him. He was a tough, physical player and certainly earned the odd boo because of his play, but it wasn't really about that. People just booed, and crowds just sort of get caught up in the mob and boo. When you'd single out individuals and ask them why they were booing, they couldn't really answer except to say that they don't like him because of the way he carries himself etc, but he'd been in the league for over a decade before the booing started and was a widely respected pillar of the game. The booing was because he'd stood up for himself against racism and spoken out against wider societal racism. Racists don't like it, they boo, and then people in a football crowd get caught up in that and boo as well.

When it's pointed out to them that they're booing for racists reasons, people are disgusted that you'd accuse them of that, but that's what's happening. They convince themselves that they're booing because they don't like the message or the person delivering it or how it's being delivered or whatever, but however you'd like to spin it, you're joining in on booing people because they're standing up against racism. You're engaging in a racist action. You're racist.

The media didn't do enough at the time to call out this booing for what it was. It's debatable that would even have worked, because nothing garners more boos than telling a crowd not to boo, but the media needed to shape the narrative better and they didn't. Eventually a few years later a brilliant documentary came out about the last few years of Goodes' career and the booing, and laid bare exactly what was going on. It was incredibly powerful and I hope some people learned from it.

Its not all that similar but I feel its why Mings is an easy target and why he gets called out for any error he makes(obvious mistakes can be called out) but one idiot had a go at him for losing the ball in the opposition box from a corner and they didnt even score. He was very vocal last summer and still is on social media and can see why he is disliked

So sad especially as Villa have always been one of the better clubs for reaching out to black fans and having black heroes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Every time one of these idiots uses Marxism as an excuse to you, simply ask them to define it.

I mean even if we grant them that BLM is this evil Marxist organization, the PL and the FA have long since distanced themselves from it and have stressed that the taking of the knee has nothing to do with it anymore. 

It couldn't be any clearer that they're trying to really force opposition to this. If you have to reach, to the point of pulling a muscle, to justify your stance, it was never principled to begin with.

It's like the Americans who see taking the knee as an affront to their military veterans

of course its not 

But it did the trick and derailed the original message, this Marxist bollocks is weak as **** and won't work

Would be interesting to get someone like mings sat in a room with kaepernick

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

99.9% of people who boo the taking of the knee don't have a clue what Marxism is. They've just heard someone else say it and it sounds like a good excuse to hide their racism.

Yep, that's why I'm thinking it is our duty to catch them out and make them look stupid by asking them to define it.

• Like 2

It reminds me of general election time when loads of people start saying "if you vote Labour it's because you don't understand economics" like they have any clue about Economics themselves

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Respect was probably the wrong term. Basically what I'm trying to say is the sneaky, passive aggressive types that wear you down with plausible deniability games are somehow even more detestable than the unabashed racists.

I completely understand this. My wife is of Eritrean decent and she has said this exact thing many times.

• Thanks 1

To be fair with the Villatalk penchant for slating any kind of popular easy listing music artists, I'm suprised there isn't more support on here for the backlash against Richard Marx.

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's like the Americans who see taking the knee as an affront to their military veterans

of course its not 

But it did the trick and derailed the original message, this Marxist bollocks is weak as **** and won't work

Would be interesting to get someone like mings sat in a room with kaepernick

the worst part is that Kaepernick (the one who started the knee) literally came up with it from talking with a Veteran. 

• Like 1

:(

Visin, the heartbreaking farewell letter: "Those disgusted looks on me"

The first news spoke of a death from an illness. Seid Visin, a past in the Milan youth academy, instead took his own life. Just 20 years old. And the reasons, contained in a letter-testament published by Corriere della Sera, are heartbreaking and call into question the whole of society: "Wherever I go, wherever I am, I feel the weight of skeptical, prejudiced glances on my shoulders like a rock. , disgusted and afraid of people "...

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Milan/05-06-2021/visin-razzismo-suicidio-quegli-sguardi-schifati-di-me-4101627257945.shtml?cmpid=shortener_4cfe446cyV

Tory MP to boycott England games in row over taking the knee

'A Conservative MP has vowed to boycott England’s games in the European Championships over players’ decision to take the knee before matches.

Lee Anderson, the MP for Ashfield in Nottinghamshire, said that by taking the knee the England team was supporting a “political movement” and risked alienating “traditional supporters”.

“For the first time in my life I will not be watching my beloved England team whilst they are supporting a political movement whose core principles aim to undermine our very way of life,” he said in a Facebook post.

After players were booed for taking the knee before their match against Austria on Wednesday, the England manager, Gareth Southgate, said the team would continue to do so throughout the championship and were “more determined than ever”.

“We are very disappointed that it happened. We’re all trying to move towards equality and support our own teammates because of some of the experiences they’ve been through in their lives, but people decided to boo,” he said.

“We’re totally committed to supporting each other, supporting the team, and we feel more than ever that we are determined to take the knee throughout this tournament.”

Anderson said the FA and England team had made “a big mistake” and “now run the risk of becoming like the Labour party and that is having nothing in common with their traditional supporters”.

“All forms of racism are vile and should be stamped out – but this is not the way,” he added.

[...]

Earlier in the week, Southgate said it was down to a lack of understanding from fans. “I think we have got a situation where some people seem to think it is a political stand that they don’t agree with,” he said. “That’s not the reason the players are doing it. We are supporting each other.”

The Tory MP Brendan Clarke-Smith, who represents Bassetlaw in Nottinghamshire, said Southgate’s comments were “an insult to fans’ intelligence”.

“Fans understand perfectly well – they are just sick and tired of being preached and spoken down to. They are there to watch a football match, not to be lectured on morality,” he said. “Find something we can all support and ditch this ridiculous empty gesture.”'

more at: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/06/tory-mp-to-boycott-england-games-in-row-over-taking-the-knee

I'm not surprised to see that it's Lee Anderson, professional moron, who people may know for:

• Suggesting problem tenants should be evicted, made to live in tents and work the fields
  • Being caught on camera getting his racist mate to pose as a supporter during a TV interview
  • Suggesting women shouldn't be councillors because they need to stay at home and look after kids

In the last couple of weeks, he's boycotted the BBC and the Englsh national team :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Tory MP to boycott England games in row over taking the knee

'A Conservative MP has vowed to boycott England’s games in the European Championships over players’ decision to take the knee before matches.

Lee Anderson, the MP for Ashfield in Nottinghamshire, said that by taking the knee the England team was supporting a “political movement” and risked alienating “traditional supporters”.

“For the first time in my life I will not be watching my beloved England team whilst they are supporting a political movement whose core principles aim to undermine our very way of life,” he said in a Facebook post.

After players were booed for taking the knee before their match against Austria on Wednesday, the England manager, Gareth Southgate, said the team would continue to do so throughout the championship and were “more determined than ever”.

“We are very disappointed that it happened. We’re all trying to move towards equality and support our own teammates because of some of the experiences they’ve been through in their lives, but people decided to boo,” he said.

“We’re totally committed to supporting each other, supporting the team, and we feel more than ever that we are determined to take the knee throughout this tournament.”

Anderson said the FA and England team had made “a big mistake” and “now run the risk of becoming like the Labour party and that is having nothing in common with their traditional supporters”.

“All forms of racism are vile and should be stamped out – but this is not the way,” he added.

[...]

Earlier in the week, Southgate said it was down to a lack of understanding from fans. “I think we have got a situation where some people seem to think it is a political stand that they don’t agree with,” he said. “That’s not the reason the players are doing it. We are supporting each other.”

The Tory MP Brendan Clarke-Smith, who represents Bassetlaw in Nottinghamshire, said Southgate’s comments were “an insult to fans’ intelligence”.

“Fans understand perfectly well – they are just sick and tired of being preached and spoken down to. They are there to watch a football match, not to be lectured on morality,” he said. “Find something we can all support and ditch this ridiculous empty gesture.”'

more at: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/06/tory-mp-to-boycott-england-games-in-row-over-taking-the-knee

What an idiot.

Boycotting a football game because it's 'too political', while simultaneously taking a political stance to not watch the game.

Never mind the fact that taking a knee is simply not political in just the same way that wearing a poppy is not seen as a political symbol by many people in the UK. It is widely accepted that a poppy is a peaceful, non-political way of remembering the fallen, and in the same way taking the knee is a peaceful, non-political way to raise awareness of racism and show it is unacceptable.

As it has been discussed a number of times, taking the knee is not an endorsement of the Black Lives Matter political party, the players have stated a number of times why they take the knee which is to make their feelings clear that racism and discrimination is unacceptable, which is very hard to disagree with unless you are racist.

If you disagree that taking the knee is the right way to send an anti-racism message, that's fine but there is no need to boo or boycott a game over it.

If you come from a position of privilege, then equality will feel like you are being oppressed.

• Like 2

Â