Racism in Football

Zatman

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

E3RSdm3WEAAKrpt?format=jpg&name=large

(I would provide a link to the original, but it was hastily deleted; the response is here: https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1401836055012294661)

He said it on the radio too shortly after tweeting it out, with the host not correcting him at all.

Even the Mail were taking the piss out of him for it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

He said it on the radio too shortly after tweeting it out, with the host not correcting him at all.

Even the Mail were taking the piss out of him for it.

well that's embarrassing XD

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

The booers will ultimately be proven to be on the wrong side of history. 

In 30 years time they'll be looked at in the same way as we look at the banana throwers from the 80s now.

Awfully **** marxist, those foreign fruits,

For anyone old enough, what was the narrative around bananas and John Barnes and all that back in the day? Was casual racism more widespread and generally just tolerated or ignored, or condemned like now but by a smaller group of normal people?

Edited by a m ole

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

For anyone old enough, what was the narrative around bananas and John Barnes and all that back in the day? Was casual racism more widespread and generally just tolerated or ignored, or condemned like now but by a smaller group of normal people?

Lets put it this way, the chant Ni***er Ni***er lick my boots was quite common on the Holte in the 70's despite the bottom left being occupied by a load a Rastafarians and a lot of black Villa fans in general 

The chicken run at West Ham was notorious for banana throwing 

If you had black fans in your away following at either Everton or Liverpool, like we did they got it big time

No comparison to these days and the reason a lot of the older generation do not see the racism today due to the massive improvements from those dark times 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I have my criticisms of him as a manager but he is a decent bloke no doubt. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/dear-england-gareth-southgate-euros-soccer

Came to post this. A great piece of writing, he should do it as a speech to make it reach as many people as possible as feel it'll be missed as an article by those who need it most

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Lets put it this way, the chant Ni***er Ni***er lick my boots was quite common on the Holte in the 70's despite the bottom left being occupied by a load a Rastafarians and a lot of black Villa fans in general 

The chicken run at West Ham was notorious for banana throwing 

If you had black fans in your away following at either Everton or Liverpool, like we did they got it big time

No comparison to these days and the reason a lot of the older generation do not see the racism today due to the massive improvements from those dark times 

That's honestly shocking. I think you've mentioned this before, but I'm still stunned. The 70's weren't that long ago.

Conversely, you could say that most of those people are likely still alive and that this sentiment never really went away.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's honestly shocking. I think you've mentioned this before, but I'm still stunned. The 70's weren't that long ago.

Conversely, you could say that most of those people are likely still alive and that this sentiment never really went away.

I think a lot of it was a herd mentality and a lot of the people that would chant it then would no longer even consider such action now. I also think a good many would. Thing which is really odd, this was a period when hooliganism was rife in the game and Villa’s firm had many black. Mixed race and Asians as members as well as a mix of the NF boneheads, quite surreal if you think about it

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I have my criticisms of him as a manager but he is a decent bloke no doubt. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/dear-england-gareth-southgate-euros-soccer

Moved by this quote

"Why would you choose to insult somebody for something as ridiculous as the colour of their skin? Why?
Unfortunately for those people that engage in that kind of behaviour, I have some bad news. You’re on the losing side. It’s clear to me that we are heading for a much more tolerant and understanding society, and I know our lads will be a big part of that.
It might not feel like it at times, but it’s true. The awareness around inequality and the discussions on race have gone to a different level in the last 12 months alone.
I am confident that young kids of today will grow up baffled by old attitudes and ways of thinking."

Seems like a good bloke and it's really important in this current political climate.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ireland players booed by Hungary fans tonight for taking the knee

I find it odd that when Bulgaria showed racism when we played them recently how much of a fuss the UK media caused.

Yet when the English folks show racism by booing taking the knee it doesnt make the headlines anywhere near as much.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I find it odd that when Bulgaria showed racism when we played them recently how much of a fuss the UK media caused.

Yet when the English folks show racism by booing taking the knee it doesnt make the headlines anywhere near as much.

The booing by England fans was a small proportion, rapidly drowned out by clapping. Compare and contrast with the Bulgarian lot.

47 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The booing by England fans was a small proportion, rapidly drowned out by clapping. Compare and contrast with the Bulgarian lot.

Dunno, felt like the England fans booing was louder than when Bulgaria were booing.

Just think we were quick to point fingers when in reality the issue is just as bad here

Edit: When you consider that a full stadium will have a much larger ratio proportion of people who are booing it really hits home. When you think 20k people booing the team they are "supporting", when all they are doing is taking a knee for equality awareness - it really really saddens me.

I've tried to have a rational conversation with a few of them on twitter to try to understand where they are coming from.. but I just can't see their point of view. They deny its an act of racism and that they dont believe in "Marxism" that BLM portrays. When I ask them what Marxism is, if they could explain it to me..  they tend to finish the conversation! 

Someone posted earlier that they should pan the camera over them when they do it, would be comforting at least to put some faces to these idiots who then have to answer to their bosses at work at least.  

Edited by Junxs

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Dunno, felt like the England fans booing was louder than when Bulgaria were booing.

Just think we were quick to point fingers when in reality the issue is just as bad here

Edit: When you consider that a full stadium will have a much larger ratio proportion of people who are booing it really hits home. When you think 20k people booing the team they are "supporting", when all they are doing is taking a knee for equality awareness - it really really saddens me.

I've tried to have a rational conversation with a few of them on twitter to try to understand where they are coming from.. but I just can't see their point of view. They deny its an act of racism and that they dont believe in "Marxism" that BLM portrays. When I ask them what Marxism is, if they could explain it to me..  they tend to finish the conversation! 

Someone posted earlier that they should pan the camera over them when they do it, would be comforting at least to put some faces to these idiots who then have to answer to their bosses at work at least.  

Alternatively, you could ask them if they're even doing it in support of "BLM" or if they've long since moved on from that.

Â