Racism in Football

Zatman

On 04/06/2021 at 14:17, sidcow said:

To be fair with the Villatalk penchant for slating any kind of popular easy listing music artists, I'm suprised there isn't more support on here for the backlash against Richard Marx.

"Hazard" is a rather excellent tune.

I wonder what the proportion of those who, while definitely not racist, are so incensed at a match being delayed by ten seconds while players show solidarity against racism also leave early to make sure they can get a pint at half time and/or get out of the ground promptly at full time.

And I wonder those who boo the kneeling because they don’t like the cause coped with the “kick it out” campaign material promoted on advertising boarding for the time it did. Must have been pretty hard going for them. 

If it is because they’re feeling “preached to”, maybe we should remove charitable causes being promoted at matches too. I don’t need to be preached at because some kids are having a hard time of it. I’ve come to watch the football, Acorns...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I wonder what the proportion of those who, while definitely not racist, are so incensed at a match being delayed by ten seconds while players show solidarity against racism also leave early to make sure they can get a pint at half time and/or get out of the ground promptly at full time.

And I wonder those who boo the kneeling because they don’t like the cause coped with the “kick it out” campaign material promoted on advertising boarding for the time it did. Must have been pretty hard going for them. 

If it is because they’re feeling “preached to”, maybe we should remove charitable causes being promoted at matches too. I don’t need to be preached at because some kids are having a hard time of it. I’ve come to watch the football, Acorns...

The fact that this type of situation is the only one that causes a backlash is very telling. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

The fact that this type of situation is the only one that causes a backlash is very telling. 

no amount of mental gymnastics will convince me otherwise

• Like 2

FREE MARKETS oooh oooooh oooh ooooooooooooh

FREE MARKETS oooh oooh oooooh oooooooooooooh

They came from Adam Smith

Or arguably Friedrich Hayek

FREE MARKETS oooh oooh oooooh oooooooooooooh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Yep.

Let’s say the players across all the leagues agreed to support Marcus Rashford and adopt a similar pose indefinitely in order to back his campaign to help kids be fed. 

Are the supporters booing and jeering in that scenario? They’re being preached to, after all. Somehow I doubt we’d be seeing the same sort of negativity.

I’m not in any way trying to make excuses for people but is there an element at all that the kneeling has become somewhat synonymous with lockdown football and that people just want a return to normality?

Afterall, the first time the kneel took place was the first game of project restart last season (our game of course, now infamous in its own right for what happened with Hawkeye).

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m not in any way trying to make excuses for people but is there an element at all that the kneeling has become somewhat synonymous with lockdown football and that people just want a return to normality?

Afterall, the first time the kneel took place was the first game of project restart last season (our game of course, now infamous in its own right for what happened with Hawkeye).

if this is the case (and I am certain it isn't) then these people have a very odd way of expressing their contempt of unusualness.

• Like 2

I think kneeling has gone on for too long and should naturally evolve into something less polarising (for example, clubs stick "United against racism" on shirts or something like that) but I think you have to be an idiot to boo. 

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the fact that the people who boo cite the Marxist boogeyman and "politics" etc suggest lockdown football isn't there problem. Even if it were, for one, it's such an immature thing to complain about, not least because we're still not even completely out of lockdown football. We're only filling 1/10th of most grounds at the moment.

• Like 2

Â